OT: How's Michael Sauer doing?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He was one of my favorite players. Now I just want him to be healthy and happy.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I love when players hit to hurt. More so when it's completely clean and legal. I'm also ok with the borderline stuff as well.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I've always wondered what would have happened if he was around for that NJ series.

Stralman did not see much ice time in that series relative to the big 3 in #s 27, 5 and 18. And, he was a negative possession and goal differential player.

He was great in 2011 when young upcoming Ryan McDonagh was establishing himself. He allowed McDonagh that freedom to really use his skating and join the offense.

To start 2011/2012, he was playing with Del Zotto. MDZ had the big 40 point year in the year that Sauer went down. His defensive and overall game took a huge plunge later in the season and into the playoffs. John Tortorella hardly used Del Zotto in that series vs the debbies and used him very sparringly the entire playoffs. Again, you gotta wonder how Michael Sauer could have impacted that and helped stabilize that pairing and Del Zotto's game and give Tortorella another option on the backend.

They weren't great from an advanced stats point of view to start the season.

46.1% CF% when on the ice together. When Sauer was away from DZ he went down to a 42% possession player. When DZ was away from Sauer, he became a 47% CF% player on Torts shotblock team.

I honestly questioned how much Ryan McDonagh carried him and how much of his success was because of Mac, but he was still a solid #4/5 option none the less.

Injuries have decimated him to the point of hockey not even being a remote or considerable option in his life anymore which is really sad; simply living a happy and normal life is challenging enough. Chronic traumatic brain trauma/injury is no joke. Hope he's doing well and can live a happy life going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
You should change this to "Would I have cheered....Absolutely"... as you only speak for yourself. You don't speak for me. I would not have cheered.

Then you're lying to yourself. Every single one of us would cheer that one of our guys laid out another guy in the moment. Its not a knock on any of our characters, its a natural reaction. You are no different. We would settle down if we saw the guy was hurt, but the initial reaction would be enthusiasm.

don't let your self-righteousness get in the way of reality.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Then you're lying to yourself. Every single one of us would cheer that one of our guys laid out another guy in the moment. Its not a knock on any of our characters, its a natural reaction. You are no different. We would settle down if we saw the guy was hurt, but the initial reaction would be enthusiasm.

don't let your self-righteousness get in the way of reality.

You know, after I made that post I told a friend of mine that you might reply with a comment calling me "self-righteous". You didn't disappoint.

Please don't insist you know me and don't tell me what I would or wouldn't do.

You need to understand that not all people are wired the same. You're not the template for humanity.

If you think I'm being sanctimonious, not much I can do about it. You're gonna think what you're gonna think. But I promise you, my reaction would be different than yours.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
You know, after I made that post I told a friend of mine that you might reply with a comment calling me "self-righteous". You didn't disappoint.

Please don't insist you know me and don't tell me what I would or wouldn't do.

You need to understand that not all people are wired the same. You're not the template for humanity.

If you think I'm being sanctimonious, not much I can do about it. You're gonna think what you're gonna think. But I promise you, my reaction would be different than yours.

It seems both of us recognized it then.

but you're right, I am gonna think what I'm gonna think. And I think you don't have any basis in reality.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Will always wonder what would have been with Sauer. And on that note, how the 2011-12 Rangers would have fared with him in the playoffs.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I exchanged email with Michael's sister last year. Michael's sister is a neurologist. She was very gracious, said he really appreciated all of fan support he received and promised to pass along my note. I believe that is typical of the private position that Michael has maintained. One of my all time favorites...I'll always have his 2012 Winter Classic jersey hanging in my closet.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Dion Phaneuf, a guy who prides himself in THE BIG HIT. I don't care if he hits clean, anyone who takes pride in BIG HITS, in always trying for the devestating BIG HIT gets no respect from me.

You don't HAVE TO take out everyone as hard as you could just because you have a chance to.
I totally agree that players who run around just looking for that big hit are awful for the game. Hate them. Total lack of respect for fellow pros. Absolutely no place for a guy looking to injure others. And there are quite a few around still.
That said, the hit on Sauer wasnt bad. Just bad luck. He didnt hit Sauer in the head or from behind. Sauer wasnt engaged with anyone else at the time. He just went backward and hit his head.
The gloating was the bad part. Gross.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I totally agree that players who run around just looking for that big hit are awful for the game. Hate them. Total lack of respect for fellow pros. Absolutely no place for a guy looking to injure others. And there are quite a few around still.
That said, the hit on Sauer wasnt bad. Just bad luck. He didnt hit Sauer in the head or from behind. Sauer wasnt engaged with anyone else at the time. He just went backward and hit his head.
The gloating was the bad part. Gross.

I don't really agree. I don't like Dion's hit on Sauer at all, think it was pretty disgusting.

I want the big hits from my team, and there are many dangerous hits that I do not mind. Take Gudas hit on Stahlberg for example. Scott Stevens. Heck even many of Darius Kasparitis hits. Kronwall's hits.

I've played a lot of hockey myself. Its a physical sport that in many senses can be compared to boxing for example. If you get the puck in your own end, and skates with it up ice, its part of the sport that a defensemen within the rules of the game can skate against you and hit you hard. Be it that its going to be a helluva collision if two players moving at 20 mph run into each other.

Its also something any player on the ice are in control of. In some situations its harder than in others, but you control the fact if you are going to be hit by Gudas or Stevens or Kronwall. If you as a forward in hockey have the puck and try to challenge Kasparitis by beating him wide, you know, there is a risk that he is going to destroy you. And that risk is part of the game just like its to be knocked out in boxing.

But -- in the game of hockey today -- the game is just too fast for any player to always -- at any time -- be able to protect themselves. Bouncing pucks. A player being in a situation players usually are not in. And what not really. All kind of odd situations a player ends up in here and there. I don't at all think you can compare these situations. Mainly because the target in one category has a chance to control their own fate, the targets in the other category has no reasonable chance to do the same.

Sauer is hit in a situation that is completely unique. A few feets inside the blueline a defender is coming at him out of no-where with absolutely full speed. You can watch 100 games and never see that situation. The puck is bouncing a lot on him. And he is if pressured by another player. To in that situation completely steam roll a player just because you can is IMO very dirty.

And its just not true to claim that Phaneuf did it just because he could and we would want our players to do it too if they just could do it but they can't. That is not even remotely true. If all players ran around looking for hits like this all the time, we would see them all the time. Just come in with full speed any time 3-4 players are fighting around the boards and you will find a target to really destroy like every other game. For a while in Philly Mike Richards used to destroy players on a regular basis in a certain situation. He would back-check at full speed. Then if the other team took the puck to the net were they literary braked to stay in the scoring area, and then ended up with the puck or had just had the puck (so close in time that its not interference), MR would completely run over anyone he could. Often hitting them into the post etc. I think he made like 5-10 hits like this during a 6 month period PO included. Than he had a lot of injuries and stopped. But I mean, you almost never see anyone do those hits. You could do them 3-4 times per game probably if you wanted too, but players don't go there.

Last edited:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Hey guys, I had reached out to Michael Sauer's wife on Facebook about a year ago inquiring about how he was doing and how we occasionally discuss him and what happened to him here on this forum. My message automatically went into her spam folder, but recently she got back to me. I wanted to share a little bit about what she told me.

"Michael is doing well. He just graduated in May from the University of Minnesota as an Electrical Engineer. He would give anything to be back playing, but unfortunately with his concussion he couldn't. We have four little ones and our oldest is quite obsessed with hockey so you never know, there could be some more Sauer's playing hockey in the future! I know he would appreciate the great thoughts and he definitely misses the game. Thank you for reaching out"

I thought this was great to hear, since a lot of what we last heard of him sounded very bad. Hopefully he's feeling much better and is able to lead a normal life after what happened.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hey guys, I had reached out to Michael Sauer's wife on Facebook about a year ago inquiring about how he was doing and how we occasionally discuss him and what happened to him here on this forum. My message automatically went into her spam folder, but recently she got back to me. I wanted to share a little bit about what she told me.

"Michael is doing well. He just graduated in May from the University of Minnesota as an Electrical Engineer. He would give anything to be back playing, but unfortunately with his concussion he couldn't. We have four little ones and our oldest is quite obsessed with hockey so you never know, there could be some more Sauer's playing hockey in the future! I know he would appreciate the great thoughts and he definitely misses the game. Thank you for reaching out"

I thought this was great to hear, since a lot of what we last heard of him sounded very bad. Hopefully he's feeling much better and is able to lead a normal life after what happened.
This guy was so f***ing good. Thanks for this update, Nev. It was great to see him at one of the games in the stands last year.

Strap your helmets on tight, kids.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

This is awesome news man, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Loved him, one of the best defensive dmen I've seen put on the Ranger jersey. Pretty neat that he's becoming an engineer after all that.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
McDonagh - Stralman
Yandle - Sauer
Skjei - literally anyone

dyNASTY
Call me whatever name you want, but I'd love if that #6 was Girardi (on a $3 mill contract). I know everyone hates him as a player, but I just love the damn guy and think he's still valuable in a limited role.

Back on topic, wonderful to hear that Michael is doing well. Awesome to hear he got an EE degree.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Great update, thanks for posting it.

I still periodically think about him and what he went through. Of course, selfishly, I wanted him to stay with the team and wonder what we could have done... but more so it's since I read an update quite a while back from his brother (I think? or a friend of...) saying he couldn't even stand to fish in sunlight. It messed with me.

Sauer, if you read this or if anyone who knows him does, I wish you the best. It's incredible you got a degree as an EE after everything you went through. My SO is in the medical field and I know how bad it can be for you. Obviously not first-hand, but still.

I also often create a character in EA NHL games when I do BAGM Franchise mode with the Rangers. You live on in my games and you're always a great player. One of the few I refuse to trade =)

Be well. Many of us care and are happy to get positive news. You better make sure any of your kids who makes the NHL refuses to play for anyone else! I can't see a Sauer jersey on another team!

Reactions: nevesis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad