OT: How's Michael Sauer doing?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
But how is he doing in life? Not as a hockey player? I hope the guy won't be an invalid or something.

I don't know but I do remember a guy on here goes fishing with him and his bro. Sounds like he was doing better but won't be able to play hockey.

So I'm thinking and hoping he's going to be fine in everyday life but not much physical activity allowed

Elvis Presley

Aka #30
Apr 14, 2009
brooklyn
Sauer was a BOSS. Him and McD pairing was looking really amazing (IMO) when everything went down.

Hope he does well wherever his life leads him. Although your time was short, you'll always have a place in my heart, Sauer!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Even though the hit was clean **** Dion Phaneuf, we could have really used him right about now.

This was akin to the Burrows hit, though I think the Burrows hit was more cheap. It was completely unnecessary at the time, I think that game was lost at the time for the Rangers. Maybe I'm being soft, but I hate guys getting lit up like that when the game is over for no reason other than to be on the Leafs' highlight reel at games. If you want to say it sent a message, well we demolished them the next time we played them IIRC, 3-0 and really haven't lost to them much since that hit. The hit accomplished nothing but a highlight reel and an end to a career and endangering of Sauer's life. But again, maybe I'm soft. It's good to play to the whistle, just that hit really brought nothing good to the Leafs.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Even though the hit was clean **** Dion Phaneuf, we could have really used him right about now.

Feel exactly the same way. Top 4 of McD, Staal, G, and Sauer would be one of the best in the league, assuming all three current players continued to progress to where they were, and Sauer's progression stayed on the up-turn.

Only issue there is there's not much offense out of that top-4 outside of McD.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Feel exactly the same way. Top 4 of McD, Staal, G, and Sauer would be one of the best in the league, assuming all three current players continued to progress to where they were, and Sauer's progression stayed on the up-turn.

Only issue there is there's not much offense out of that top-4 outside of McD.

I don't think that's much of a stretch since I think what we have now is one of the best in the league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This long after the hit?

Maybe. I've read stories of athletes suffering debilitating PCS symptoms for multiple years after the initial incident. No two are the same, you know? Some guys suffer serious concussions and are back in a month, others suffer the effects for years.

It was in July of last year that Katie Strang said Sauer was still dealing with the residual effects. That's basically a full year and eight months from the incident. Can he recover? He's UFA at the moment. If he gets healthy, maybe he gets an invite to camp (from us or someone else).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sauer has bad genes. His brother Kurt suffered whiplash which ended his career. Another Sauer brother played in the NFL and he also suffered a career ending injury. That's a common thing in the NFL. Michael Sauer battled the injury bug in junior and pro hockey. He suffered 1 concussion in junior. Sauer was invited to the US WJC camp and suffered a concussion. When the Rangers selected him,he was coming off hip surgeries on both hips. One surgery was to repair a birth defect and torn labrum in the other hip. He had shoulder surgery in the AHL. ACL surgery in the AHL. Before getting concussed,Sauer had not missed any games. I think he may have missed a game early in 10-11 because of a bruised ankle. The Rangers lost Sauer and Blackburn to career ending injuries. Cherepanov paid the ultimate price. The organization is cursed.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sauer has bad genes. His brother Kurt suffered whiplash which ended his career. Another Sauer brother played in the NFL and he also suffered a career ending injury. That's a common thing in the NFL. Michael Sauer battled the injury bug in junior and pro hockey. He suffered 1 concussion in junior. Sauer was invited to the US WJC camp and suffered a concussion. When the Rangers selected him,he was coming off hip surgeries on both hips. One surgery was to repair a birth defect and torn labrum in the other hip. He had shoulder surgery in the AHL. ACL surgery in the AHL. Before getting concussed,Sauer had not missed any games. I think he may have missed a game early in 10-11 because of a bruised ankle. The Rangers lost Sauer and Blackburn to career ending injuries. Cherepanov paid the ultimate price. The organization is cursed.

RB, come on man.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers were probably able to draft Sauer at all because of the injury history. That was the risk they took. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. In the NFL, I believe Justin Tuck broke Notre Dame's sack record but was available in the 3rd round because of an injury in his draft year. He was or best player in 2 SB runs. It didn't work out with Sauer.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The Rangers were probably able to draft Sauer at all because of the injury history. That was the risk they took. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. In the NFL, I believe Justin Tuck broke Notre Dame's sack record but was available in the 3rd round because of an injury in his draft year. He was or best player in 2 SB runs. It didn't work out with Sauer.

When your cupboard is bare you really shouldnt be taking injury risks with high draft picks.

I said that BEFORE we drafted him, forget hindsight, I did my homework.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
frankly, the burrows hit, to me, looked a lot worse. phaneuf only took three or four strides and hit sauer pretty straight-on. sauer hit his head on the ice. burrows took about six or seven strides and hit a player who was engaged-already from behind into the boards. it wasnt a head shot, but it was - as i think it was riverdale pointed out - with a total lack of respect for a fellow professional. aiming to make the sportscenter highlight reel at the expense of another player.
the worst thing about the sauer hit was phaneuf's drunk-kunt-papa basking in the laid-out sauer. whatta ********.

Jarkko Immonen

#42 Artem Anisimov
Oct 23, 2005
Connecticut
I get sad every time I think of Sauer. He was rounding his game out and becoming a real stud. Plus he was just one of the nicest guys around. I hope he is doing well.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, I've come to terms that I'll never see him play hockey again but I hope he's able to function on a daily basis without debilitating headaches. It sucks but there's not much anyone can do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can we like send him a card or something? I feel so bad for the guy.

There was a thread some time ago where we all "signed." Someone was going to compile it and send a card to Sauer's agent. I don't think it ever happened.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
He is missed, he added a bit of snarl to the blueline and we could definitely use his crease-clearing abilities about now. Stralman has done a decent job in the top 4 but he is obviously a different player than Sauer and can't replace what he brought to the team.

I was at the game in 2011 against the Bruins when the Rangers overcame a 3-0 deficit and Sauer scored the game-winner, which may have been the crowning moment in his short career. Such a shame that he may never play again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad