OT: How's Michael Sauer doing?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He definitely helped the goalie do his job better than most defenseman I've seen in the last 25 years

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Back when he and Staal were drafted, I remember believing that he was the more naturally talented of the two.

But injuries were always lurking with Sauer (one of the big reasons he fell in the draft) and it's a damn shame he had to walk away from a promising career.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This guy was so ****ing good. ... Strap your helmets on tight, kids.

Unfortunately, highlighted above is the cautionary message here.

My understanding is that Sauer, and other teammates (Hagelin another notable strap-dangler,)
had been reminded regularly by management to strap on their helmets snugly and properly.
Watch the hit, the head contact with wall, after helmet goes away is probably why the effects were career-ending.

Loved Sauer, and he was even beginning to pitch in on O a bit, in the weeks before the injury.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Unfortunately, highlighted above is the cautionary message here.

My understanding is that Sauer, and other teammates (Hegelin another notable strap-dangler,)
had been reminded regularly by management to strap on their helmets snugly and properly.
Watch the hit, the head contact with wall, after helmet goes away is probably why the effects were career-ending.

Loved Sauer, and he was even beginning to pitch in on O a bit, in the weeks before the injury.

He was a major fighter all throughout junior hockey, minor leagues and the NHL. He probably incurred a lot of brain damage previously.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Back when he and Staal were drafted, I remember believing that he was the more naturally talented of the two.

But injuries were always lurking with Sauer (one of the big reasons he fell in the draft) and it's a damn shame he had to walk away from a promising career.

Didn't he have some hip issues that he had to have surgery to correct and that's why he fell? I vaguely recall that it was "once fixed it won't be an issue". His brother had a lot of concussion issues too though as I recall.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Didn't he have some hip issues that he had to have surgery to correct and that's why he fell? I vaguely recall that it was "once fixed it won't be an issue". His brother had a lot of concussion issues too though as I recall.

I think it was hip issues, and then he had some shoulder and other issues a little later on.

The biggest concerns with Sauer always seemed to involve durability in one form of another --- some of it just being fluke things, and completely unrelated to other injuries.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
He fought from time to time, but I don't know if I'd call him a major fighter.

Sauer was more of a Gamer then a fighter. I don't think he actually won too many, but he stood up for his mates. He didn't let anything slide when the opposition took liberties...And teams have consitently took liberties with the NYR. He fought Matt Martin a few times when they played the Isles.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He fought from time to time, but I don't know if I'd call him a major fighter.
Every fight is a major

giphy.gif

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With the polls about the all decade team are going through, one of the names that popped up was Michael Sauer. Well, because I snapped a picture and put it on social media, I was reminded that it was 8 years ago today that Sauer skated in his last NHL game. An absolute shame his career ended like that.

Was rough watching him come off the ice. Never would have thought that it would be the last time he'd ever play. Sadly, we don't know if he'll ever be able to lead a normal life. I'm sure it's daily that he deals with complications from the concussions he had throughout his career.

Still don't think it was a clean hit either. Part of the reason why I was never upset about the whole Avery/Sloppy Seconds chant during the playoffs against Ottawa.

Reactions: dangsLITE

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
With the polls about the all decade team are going through, one of the names that popped up was Michael Sauer. Well, because I snapped a picture and put it on social media, I was reminded that it was 8 years ago today that Sauer skated in his last NHL game. An absolute shame his career ended like that.

Was rough watching him come off the ice. Never would have thought that it would be the last time he'd ever play. Sadly, we don't know if he'll ever be able to lead a normal life. I'm sure it's daily that he deals with complications from the concussions he had throughout his career.

Still don't think it was a clean hit either. Part of the reason why I was never upset about the whole Avery/Sloppy Seconds chant during the playoffs against Ottawa.

f*** Dion Phaneuf. Wouldn't piss on that guy if he was on fire

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Thank you, Dion Phaneuf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad