How your team stacks up at center?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is your team below-slot, well-slotted or above-slot at center? Well-slotted, in this sense, means having a 1C as the 1C, 2C as the 2C and 3C as the 3C.

:canes

Present: Below-Slot – Staal (2C) – Rask (3C) – Ryan(3C)

Staal is good for 45-50 points per season with good defensive ability. Rask has had a rough 12 months that have seen him go from 45-50 point caliber play to 30 point caliber play. Ryan has picked up the slack somewhat, but he’s only put ~35 points during that time frame in an offensive role.

Short-Term Outlook: Below-Slot

Staal is under contract for another 5+ seasons and is only 29. Even if he takes a step back offensively as he gets older, he brings enough to the table defensively to be a middle-six center. I’m not sure what’s going on with Rask; I’m not banking on him finding his 45-50 point form. The Canes have some solid middle-6 center prospects that could potentially take his place, if necessary, in Roy and Wallmark. Rask is under contract for another 4+ seasons, though.

The problem is that top offensive center. The Canes did use a relatively high 1st on Necas in June, but he’s far from a guarantee. The organization views Aho as having potential in the middle, but he is undersized for that spot. The solution to Carolina’s problem may not be in the organization presently.

Categorizing players is very subjective, but try to be as unbiased as possible. I don’t mean for this thread to compare teams against each other. I’m interested in figuring out why the center market is seemingly so barren right now. If they're being hoarded, who’s hoarding them?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I'm surprised the kings are still top 5 in the league

Kopitar
Kempe
Shore
Mitchell

(Carter out until February)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
matthews
kadri
bozak
moore

meh tbh. nylander might become a center next season and moore will be replaced by hopefully someone younger and better.

matthews
nylander
kadri
4C

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Just dandy!

Scheifele - Star 1C
Little - Low end 1C High End 2C
Lowry - Molding into a quality bang and grind 3C
Hendricks - Working well so far.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Matthews
Kadri
Bozak
Moore

Probably top 10 league wide. Not many teams can boast a 30 goal scorer as their second line C. Bozak is a decent passenger for talented wingers and is excellent on faceoffs. Could do a lot worse than Moore as a 4C, though he's only a stopgap. Marleau and Nylander are the backups when a C goes down (like Matthews right now).

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Canucks current depth! (not including injuries)

Sedin
Gagner
Burmistrov
Dowd?

Horvat and Sutter are both out. It's bad.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Duchene (Good 1C)
Brassard (Good 2C)
Pageau (Elite 3C)
Thompson (Good 4C)

I'd say sens are pretty well-slotted at centre, probable on of the strengths of the team once this slump has been somewhat broken.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
bolts slot very well down the middle

Stamkos (one of the top centers in the NHL)
Point (very underrated guy, top 20 c at the minimum at this point)
Gourde (flies under the radar as an effective player, 23 points on the season. very good for the 3c slot)
Paquette (good 4c)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm surprised the kings are still top 5 in the league

Kopitar
Kempe
Shore
Mitchell

(Carter out until February)

well-slotted when Carter comes back, though!

Kopitar (1C), Carter (low-end 1C/elite 2C), Kempe (offensive 3C), Shore (elite defensive 4C), with spare depth parts that can rotate at C in Mitchell, Jokinen.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Eric Staal is a 1C. On pace for 70 points. Really has been good for Wild.

Koivu is a very solid 2C.

Eriksson Ek and Cullen are both 4Cs right now and neither had grabbed the 3C role.

Coyle, if he plays C, is a solid 2C.

Wild are deep at C, especially with Granlund and Kunin able to fill in behind Coyle as emergency Cs.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Couture 1c
Thornton 1c or 2c depending on how he is feeling on a given night.
Tierney 3c
Ward 4c

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
New Jersey slots poorly offensively but pretty well at shot suppression. Overall below slot depending how Hischier, Zacha and McLeod develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad