How you would fix the Flyers (FOR FUN)

Lono

Dec 1, 2014
Wow...blowing up the team? There is nothing to fix unless you can speed up time. This is a team that needs time to develop the young talent...period! There are at least 2 legit #1 D men developing with the Phantoms and if Haag turns in to what I think he will, theres 3. The only change I may make is in goal, but Mason is strong with the right support in front of him so it would have to be a really good goalie.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Wow...blowing up the team? There is nothing to fix unless you can speed up time. This is a team that needs time to develop the young talent...period! There are at least 2 legit #1 D men developing with the Phantoms and if Haag turns in to what I think he will, theres 3. The only change I may make is in goal, but Mason is strong with the right support in front of him so it would have to be a really good goalie.

You seem to have a rather expansive definition of #1 defenseman...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
They should just rid get of bad contracts. Draft, bring up youth. Let Couts and Schenn get better.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This coming off-season/trade deadline:

Outgoing:

Let Emery walk.
Buy-out Vinny.
Trade Grossmann for a late pick. (as high as can get.)
Trade MacDonald for a pick. (as high as can get.)
Trade Rinaldo for late pick or crap prospect.
LTIR Pronger.

Incoming:

Sign UFA Sean Bergenheim for $2.5m. (Great possession and defensive player who has been on awful teams with crappy zone starts yet still can pot 30 points a year... perfect winger for Laughton. He is the exact opposite of Vinny. If he had better health he would be getting Kulemin money next year, he is nearly as good in a similar role. But still, he'll play 60-75 games a season and be fantastic in his role.)
Sign UFA Thomas Greiss for $1m. (Very solid backup... should have thrown $1.2m at him this summer.)
Sign UFA Daniel Winnik for $1.3m. (Just an awesome player.)
Sign UFA Troy Bodie for $600k as 13th man. (Meh, but cheap, tough and can play some hockey.)

Resign Bellemare for $1m.
Resign Del Zotto for $3.5m. (or as low as he will accept.)
Resign Colaiacovo for $700k as 7th D man. (or as low as he will accept.)

2/3 of Morin, Hagg and Gostisbehere to roster.

B. Schenn ($2.5m) -- Giroux ($8.275m) -- Voracek ($4.25m)
Raffl ($1.1m) -- Couturier ($1.75m) -- Simmonds ($3.975m)
Bergenheim ($2.5m) -- Laughton ($0.863m) -- Read ($3.625m)
Winnik ($1.3m) -- Bellemare ($1m) -- Umberger ($4.6m)
Bodie ($0.600m)

Del Zotto ($3.5m) -- Coburn ($4.5m)
Hagg ($0.925m) -- Gostisbehere ($0.925m)
Streit ($5.250m) -- Schenn ($3.6m)
Colaiacovo ($0.7m)

Mason ($4.100m)
Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Vincent Lecavalier ($2.889m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(estimations for 2015-16)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,727,222; BONUSES: $708,333

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,272,778

Also, as I was figuring out my bottom six and who would be best I realised that I found myself thinking 'what would Tippett and Maloney do.' Haha. Bergenheim and Winnik are such Coyotes kind of players! Moneypuck baby.

Last edited:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007

Outgoing:

Let Emery walk.
Buy-out Vinny.
LTIR Pronger.

Incoming:

Sign UFA Sean Bergenheim for $2.5m. (Great possession and defensive player who has been on awful teams with crappy zone starts yet still can pot 30 points a year... perfect winger for Laughton. He is the exact opposite of Vinny. If he had better health he would be getting Kulemin money next year, he is nearly as good in a similar role. But still, he'll play 60-75 games a season and be fantastic in his role.)
Sign UFA Thomas Greiss for $1m. (Very solid backup... should have thrown $1.2m at him this summer.)
Sign UFA Troy Bodie for $600k as 13th man. (Meh, but cheap, tough and can play some hockey.)

Bodie ($0.600m)

Colaiacovo ($0.7m)

Mason ($4.100m)
Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Also, as I was figuring out my bottom six and who would be best I realised that I found myself thinking 'what would Tippett and Maloney do.' Haha. Bergenheim and Winnik are such Coyotes kind of players! Moneypuck baby.

Just to throw a monkey in your wrench. What would you do differently if you landed one of the top two picks? It would certainly make one of the centers expendable.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Just to throw a monkey in your wrench. What would you do differently if you landed one of the top two picks? It would certainly make one of the centers expendable.

I don't think you do anything different immediately. McEichel could start out on the wing, maybe bumping Raffl down to the 3rd line.

I guess you sign one less UFA bottom-six player.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

Outgoing:

Let Emery walk.
Buy-out Vinny.
LTIR Pronger.

Incoming:

Bodie ($0.600m)

Colaiacovo ($0.7m)

Mason ($4.100m)
Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

This is pretty spot on as to what they need to do. I would also add fire Berube, and get Umberger away from anything Philadelphia Flyers related.

I am not sure Ghost will be ready for a role next season (both injury and play). Hoping Hagg is.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

This scares me..Remember when the Flyers were Stacked at Center with Schenn, Giroux, Laughton, Vinny, Couts and people were trying to figure out how they would all play together? :S Or how we could pencil in Ghost for 15 mins a night, and that Hagg and Alt would be ready for the Flyers this season??

Flyers right now are the phrase "addition by subtraction"...Umberger, Vinny, Rinaldo, Andy Mac, Grossmann, and VandeVelde are just so horrific and on top of that Berube is a :( of a head coach.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Outgoing:

Let Emery walk.
Buy-out Vinny.
LTIR Pronger.

Incoming:

Bodie ($0.600m)

Colaiacovo ($0.7m)

Mason ($4.100m)
Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Very reasonable except the MacDonald trade (nobody is taking that contract) but still continues to keep the Flyers in the mediocre middle away from the top prospects in the draft and not really in contention much like Phoenix has been. That means the Flyers are going to have to get very lucky in their drafting to put together a Stanley cup contender. Boston was able to do it by finding gems in the 2nd rd like Bergeron and Krejci, lucking out with Tim Thomas as an older UFA and signing Chara. The rest of the recent cup winners tanked first to get their top talent.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
We won't get mcdavid or eichel. Good things do not happen to this fan base. We'll suck and get the 5th overall

Thank you. Pulling this quote from a few pages back but seriously. There is a 0% chance that the Flyers get these guys. I see it in almost every thread about the development of this team but even if we went to the Sixers level of tanking we couldn't make that drafting happen.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Thank you. Pulling this quote from a few pages back but seriously. There is a 0% chance that the Flyers get these guys. I see it in almost every thread about the development of this team but even if we went to the Sixers level of tanking we couldn't make that drafting happen.

...if the Flyers finish last, they are guaranteed a top-2 pick. That isn't the case for the Sixers.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
First thing to be done....

Find a way to buy out Ed Snider from having a majority of the ownership.
Then begin firing ALL OF THE EX-PLAYERS currently gaining a pay check within this organization. That means Bob Clarke & Paul Holmgren in particular.
Trade Vincent Lecavalier and R J Umberger for a collection of draft picks.
Keep all of the prospects, and bring them up to the Flyers when they are ready for the big leagues.
Be patient! This is going to take some time, but this team could be successfully rebuilt without trading away guys like Giroux etc.

Last edited:

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
...if the Flyers finish last, they are guaranteed a top-2 pick. That isn't the case for the Sixers.

Doesn't matter. The Flyers won't be finishing last. It's hard to compete with the tanking going on in Edmonton right now. I can almost promise 1 other team will out tank us.

The Flyers are in a really bad position right now. They're not good by any means but they're not god-awful terrible. They're just relatively mediocre. Mediocrity is worse than being absolute garbage in professional sports.

We're not getting McDavid or Eichel. I can promise you that.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Doesn't matter. The Flyers won't be finishing last. It's hard to compete with the tanking going on in Edmonton right now. I can almost promise 1 other team will out tank us.

The Flyers are in a really bad position right now. They're not good by any means but they're not god-awful terrible. They're just relatively mediocre. Mediocrity is worse than being absolute garbage in professional sports.

We're not getting McDavid or Eichel. I can promise you that.

I don't think anyone thinks we are--not really. But there are quality top-line forwards and top-pairing defenseman beyond McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin. A guy like Zacha could end up available around #7-8, right? He'd be a nice option at 1/2 LW along with B. Schenn.

I think you are overstating the situation a bit. The team is poor right now. I don't expect that to change this season. But I also think, in terms of the standings, that this is going to be the bottom-out year.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
I don't think anyone thinks we are--not really. But there are quality top-line forwards and top-pairing defenseman beyond McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin. A guy like Zacha could end up available around #7-8, right? He'd be a nice option at 1/2 LW along with B. Schenn.

I think you are overstating the situation a bit. The team is poor right now. I don't expect that to change this season. But I also think, in terms of the standings, that this is going to be the bottom-out year.

There's a pretty serious difference between the player category of McDavid/Eichel vs. anyone available below #4 overall. People are comparing McDavid to Crosby. Although I disagree with this, you'd be on drugs if you tried to compare someone like Zacha or Marner to Crosby. The comparison of McDavid/Crosby is at least SOMEWHAT understandable.

I completely agree that this team is bottoming out. However, the Flyers "bottoming-out" type year would be a mediocre year as opposed to sucking. It's difficult to flat out suck when you have Voracek and Giroux on your team. I honestly could see them winning around 35 or so games this year, screwing themselves for the draft, and having another mediocre year next year.

I do agree as well with the fact that there is some opportunity basically anywhere in the top 10, which is where I'm hoping we at least end up. This years draft isn't the greatest, but it's very, very solid and I'm glad the Flyers have picked out this year to play like ass.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, with Appleyard's, I'd save the money on Bergenheim and just bring up Leier. Cheaper and has been doing very well in the AHL this year. Give him a shot.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
There's a pretty serious difference between the player category of McDavid/Eichel vs. anyone available below #4 overall. People are comparing McDavid to Crosby. Although I disagree with this, you'd be on drugs if you tried to compare someone like Zacha or Marner to Crosby. The comparison of McDavid/Crosby is at least SOMEWHAT understandable.

I completely agree that this team is bottoming out. However, the Flyers "bottoming-out" type year would be a mediocre year as opposed to sucking. It's difficult to flat out suck when you have Voracek and Giroux on your team. I honestly could see them winning around 35 or so games this year, screwing themselves for the draft, and having another mediocre year next year.

I do agree as well with the fact that there is some opportunity basically anywhere in the top 10, which is where I'm hoping we at least end up. This years draft isn't the greatest, but it's very, very solid and I'm glad the Flyers have picked out this year to play like ass.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. Obviously there's a major gap between the top-two and the rest. My point is that this is a better year to be mediocre than most, which you seem to agree with.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
I'm not sure what you're arguing. Obviously there's a major gap between the top-two and the rest. My point is that this is a better year to be mediocre than most, which you seem to agree with.

I'm arguing that no matter how awful we do this year, some other 2 teams will be sucking more and getting McDavid and Eichel. See my earlier post.

AFTeRMaTH*

Outgoing:

Let Emery walk.
Buy-out Vinny.
LTIR Pronger.

Incoming:

Bodie ($0.600m)

Colaiacovo ($0.7m)

Mason ($4.100m)
Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

I like this a lot. Thank you. See not all plans have to involve rebuilding.
Say we finish top 6 in the draft and add a player like Zacha or Kylington to that team too. Not bad at all. Just make sure to get rid of Berube AT THE END of the season. And Do whatever the hell we can to get rid of Scumberger.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Isn't Bergenheim also often injured? That's why I mention Leier. I do like the idea of Winnik though. A real gamer of a player.

Plus, you'd have to think that Morin would definitely fight for a spot next year on the roster.

JayB

May 30, 2012
Fire Berube. Hire Tortorella. Get some grit.

Trade Read+Couturier+ to Winnibeg for Byfuglien+Kane.
Trade Coburn+Lecavalier+ to Toronto for Phaneuf+Komarov
Trade MacDonald+prospect+ to SJS for Burns
Trade Raffl+Bellemare+ to NYI for Martin+Clutterbuck
Trade Grosmann for pick
Get rid of Umberger

Lucic-G-Voracek
Kane-Schenn-Simmonds
Byfuglien-Laughton-Burns
Martin-Komarov-Clutterbuck

Phaneuff-Gotisphere
Schenn-Streit
Schultz-Carlo

:yo::sarcasm:

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Fire Berube. Hire Tortorella. Get some grit.

Trade Read+Couturier+ to Winnibeg for Byfuglien+Kane.
Trade Coburn+Lecavalier+ to Toronto for Phaneuf+Komarov
Trade MacDonald+prospect+ to SJS for Burns
Trade Raffl+Bellemare+ to NYI for Martin+Clutterbuck
Trade Grosmann for pick
Get rid of Umberger

Lucic-G-Voracek
Kane-Schenn-Simmonds
Byfuglien-Laughton-Burns
Martin-Komarov-Clutterbuck

Phaneuff-Gotisphere
Schenn-Streit
Schultz-Carlo

:yo::sarcasm:

How did we get Lucic?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
-Fire Berube, if he's not gone already. Take time with a quality coaching hire from outside the organization. If Berube is fired mid-season just keep an interim who we can trust to do basic lineup decisions until season's end then look for a replacement come off-season

-Press Lecavalier to retire if possible, otherwise consider a buyout and a cheap depth forward replacement. There are quality ones available even if the Flyers keep playing guys like Rinaldo

-Re-sign Bellemare. I'm not too sure how keen he'll be to stay with the way Berube and the season has been, but he's worth keeping

-Let VV walk

-Waive or bury Rinaldo if a quality replacement is available whether from the minors or free agency or trade

-Let Schultz walk

-Re-sign MDZ

-Have to see if he gets any use and how he does, but I think Carlo would look good as a depth D

-Let Emery walk. Don't think he's as bad as people say so long as he's a backup, but he's had plenty time here and isn't getting younger

-Explore trading MacDonald if it's possible to ditch him with any kind of return, honestly. A guy who is only capable of being a quality four to six, at best, isn't worth that money at that term

-Read and one of Streit/Coburn should be viewed as expendable, at the right price. Coburn more-so then Streit and both D only if another is brought in through free agency/trade

-Players worth looking into, prior to any re-signings (which a lot of them probably will be):

Mike Green, Christian Ehrhoff? (haven't heard how he's doing this season), Antoine Vermette? (also not sure entirely), Mats Zuccarello, Francois Beauchemin, Johnny Boychuck, Michael Frolik, Nick Foligno, Jiri Tlusty, Viktor Fasth, Kyle Brodziak, Andrej Sekera, Michal Neuvirth, Jonas Gustavsson, Derek Dorsett, Daniel Winnik, Mark Letestu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad