How you see this build in 2 years

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Just wondering who you think will or will not be here in 2years and where they will fit in. Here's where I hope we are in 2 years.

Kreider Zibanajad Kakko
Panarin Chytil Buchnevich
Lemieux Strome Kravtsov
Hendrickson Barron Gauthier

Miller Fox
Jones Trouba
DeAngelo lundqvist...Lindgren

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
of course this is all speculation, please don't over-react to where i disagree

IMHO Jones probably wont be in NHL in 2 years,
IF he turns pro after Junior year, (whenever he turns pro) he'll still need some AHL time

Strome maybe wont still be here,
maybe not ADA by then either

Henriksson may not be ready that soon either, he didn't really find a groove this year

as noted often here, Barron may land at wing in NHL

until he has a crappy 2d NA season,
i don't take Rykov out of the picture yet
similar w Reunanen or even Hajek
strongest opinion: Robertson may jump over all the other young LHD
Some LHD, these, or Miller, get moved for future young vet upgrade(s) as cited below

i do believe that after Seattle draft, if these remain key roster holes
some prospects will get moved for a young vet C and maybe also a young vet LHD

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think it's extremely unlikely that the Rangers fill out the roster completely from within. I would expect at least one significant trade to address the lineup that sends out some of the futures the team has stockpiled.

Reactions: White Death 24

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - XXX
XXX - XXX - Gauthier
Lemieux - Howden/Andersson - Fast

XXX - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - DeAngelo

Would be my guesses. Buch or Kravstov could be on that second line or Kravstov could not pan out and we may move Buch. Who knows. Chytil may be a 3C or a W on the 2nd/3rd line instead of panning out as a 2C. Kakko could be better on Panarin’s off wing than on Zib’s wing, putting the hole on a different line. Strome could still be here after 2 more years or he could (should, if we’re becoming genuinely competitive - he’s not well rounded enough to be a top six C on a contender IMO, though he’s welcome to prove me wrong).

Lots of questions. Fox and Lindgren will be a solid second pairing. DeAngelo could be on the left side with Trouba or on another pairing that gets equal time as Lindy/Fox. Miller ought to be ready for third pair minutes in 2 years. We do not have an internal solution for Trouba’s left side (in a 2 year time frame) unless DeAngelo becomes a LD at ES full time. I’m fine with running DeAngelo on the left at ES with Trouba and having Hajek/Miller/Lundkvist/Jones rotating on the third pair. We could contend with rookies on the third pair, but not filling that top LD, so unless we’re packaging Buch + for a worthwhile LD I’m okay with that solution.

Shesty will be between the pipes. Georgiev may be his backup but may not.

I’m unwilling to pencil many guys who aren’t yet on the roster into any solid spots 2 years from now. I’m sure some will begin to break in but I wouldn’t count on them for serious minutes/82 games if we’re hoping to be entering cup contention 2 years from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lundqvist won't be on this team in 2 years
I am pretty sure he meant Lundkvist.
Zac Jones is the very interesting x factor. If he becomes a legit top 4 left guy that would be amazing. I still see Fox-Lindgren because of their great chemistry and compatibility but of course things can change in two years.
Really don't see Hendrickson as a 4th liner.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
In summer 2022 I hope they try to sign Brayden Point. Tampa will be trending down and is going to have a really tough time signing him. He could be the final piece of the puzzle.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not for rushing Nils (or Miller) at all but possibly by the 2021-2022 he could be ready? otherwise 2022-2023.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
In summer 2022 I hope they try to sign Brayden Point. Tampa will be trending down and is going to have a really tough time signing him. He could be the final piece of the puzzle.
Will we have the money to do that??? Even with Hank, Staal and Smith gone we have to seriously pay Zibby. I guess if you say goodbye to guys like Strome and Buch possibly

Reactions: bernmeister

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I am pretty sure he meant Lundkvist.
Zac Jones is the very interesting x factor. If he becomes a legit top 4 left guy that would be amazing. I still see Fox-Lindgren because of their great chemistry and compatibility but of course things can change in two years.
Really don't see Hendrickson as a 4th liner.

good call. Under the radar Zac Jones. Team has a ton of skill throughout he system on the backend

Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Will we have the money to do that??? Even with Hank, Staal and Smith gone we have to seriously pay Zibby. I guess if you say goodbye to guys like Strome and Buch possibly

+ 1

I think this team should build from within unless they move out a talented inexpensive skilled defenseman for an talented inexpensive forward. Otherwise, this cap will come back to haunt the Rangers.

Reactions: bl02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're gonna score a lot of goals and Igor will mask bad defense.

Bad defense will keep us from getting over the hump.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Reactions: leetch99

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We're gonna score a lot of goals and Igor will mask bad defense.

Bad defense will keep us from getting over the hump.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Yes we currently don't have the horses on defense to be a very good defensive team but they are building it correctly and thru the draft. Little unfair to make that statement now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Trouba trade but even having said that they are drafting pretty well on the d side it seems and that is the only way we are gonna get out of the defensive mess we are in.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
good call. Under the radar Zac Jones. Team has a ton of skill throughout he system on the backend
That's the only way we are gonna build it. It's very hard to find top dmen who haven't taken a beating in this league and want big money/term. Not sure if we can pull off a Zibby type heist on defense. Maybe Trouba becomes a terrific number 1 RHD and proves us wrong. Hopefully.

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes we currently don't have the horses on defense to be a very good defensive team but they are building it correctly and thru the draft. Little unfair to make that statement now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Trouba trade but even having said that they are drafting pretty well on the d side it seems and that is the only way we are gonna get out of the defensive mess we are in.
Maybe, but it will be longer than two years.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Seth Jones is also a UFA in 2022.

I understand worrying about the cap, but I am more worried about an era of mediocrity, good but not good enough. Basically like the Rangers of the last decade or the 90s Knicks. The Leafs have shown that you can make a bunch of star players work even with the cap. The problem with the Leafs is that they focused too much of offense and not enough on defense, and it is still possible for them to get out of that with a trade. I think the Rangers definitely have room for another superstar player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad