Ericsson/Oulette
Knonwall/Marchenko

This until Gator and Helm come back.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Mantha-Zetterberg-Tatar
Nyquist-Larkin-Abdelkader (playmaking winger for Larkin in Gus, Abby to retrieve pucks)
AA-Nielsen-Vanek (Speed to complement Vanek)
Helm-Glendening-Sheahan/Ott/Jurco

Ouellet - Green
Dekeyser - Sproul
Big E - Kronwall

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Larkin-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Vanek
Tatar-AA-Abdelkader
Miller/Ott-Luke-Helm
Let Riley warm the pressbox. He sucks.

DDK-Green
Kronwall-Sproul
Big Rig-Marchenko
Smith/Ouellett/Jensen/Whoever

In conclusion, we should find a way to package Smith along with one of Helm or Sheahan in a trade for picks, prospects, or a better D-man if we get lucky. We can probably trade one of the goalies at this point too.

And what on Gods green earth would that land anything decent compared to what your offering. Horrible contract, and two **** players. Seriously wtf do you intend to land with that package?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Line combos are meaningless when there's only four or five good players, no elite players, and everyone else should be in the AHL.

Nobody can put together a list of lines that has this team competing every night and making a push for the playoffs.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Line combos are meaningless when there's only four or five good players, no elite players, and everyone else should be in the AHL.

Nobody can put together a list of lines that has this team competing every night and making a push for the playoffs.

We have A LOT of NHL capable players. The ****** thing is most are middle six players. I'd say most are third liners.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Larkin-Zetterberg-Mantha
Vanek-Helm-Nyquist
Tatar-Nielsen-AA
Miller-Glendening-Ott
Sheahan

I only see one fourth line for once. AA and Tatar get one hell of a defensive centre that can create and play off the puck. Z gets the kids, and we've seen that second line find success.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Nothing's going to make anything better this year, so might as well play the kids in spots where they can develop and learn.

Mantha/Z/Tatar
Nyquist/Larkin/Vanek
AA/Nielsen/Abbie
Ott/Glendening/Miller

Perfectly amenable to dumping Miller back to GR and promoting Bertuzzi. Jurco can be the 7th forward. Or not. He's as irrelevant as Ott and Miller, without any of the grit. Helm can take one of the 4th line spots when he's back, or he can trade it with Abbie, I don't think it really makes any difference.

Green/XO
Sproul/DDK
Kronwall-Marchenko/Ericsson

Kronwall and Marchenko can switch off nights. E/XO/DDK can shuffle up and down to keep anyone from having to play over their head for too long, since none of them are capable of playing top pair. Waive Smith when you inevitably can't find anyone who wants him for even a 7th. Let Jensen or whoever sit in the press box as the 7th D.

On offense, Z is there to work with Mantha. Larkin gets reps at 2C with a pass-first winger and Vanek, who will at least hustle for pucks. AA gets a defensively responsible center and some spare grit, the 4th line continues to be largely worthless and probably still gets way too much ice time. On defense, we cut Kronwall's ice time in half, and stop benching Sproul for guys who won't ever have an NHL future. some part of the defensive side of each pair will always be playing over his head, so just cycle them up and down the pairs so no one has to spend several games getting beat up and down the ice. Let Green and Sproul QB the power plays. Keep Sheahan off the ice as the 8th forward or dump him for whatever anyone will give us. It's not a good team, but I think it would let the kids grow into the roles they should have in the future, while insulating them as much as possible with the veterans we have.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Nothing's going to make anything better this year, so might as well play the kids in spots where they can develop and learn.

Mantha/Z/Tatar
Nyquist/Larkin/Vanek
AA/Nielsen/Abbie
Ott/Glendening/Miller

Perfectly amenable to dumping Miller back to GR and promoting Bertuzzi. Jurco can be the 7th forward. Or not. He's as irrelevant as Ott and Miller, without any of the grit. Helm can take one of the 4th line spots when he's back, or he can trade it with Abbie, I don't think it really makes any difference.

Green/XO
Sproul/DDK
Kronwall-Marchenko/Ericsson

Kronwall and Marchenko can switch off nights. E/XO/DDK can shuffle up and down to keep anyone from having to play over their head for too long, since none of them are capable of playing top pair. Waive Smith when you inevitably can't find anyone who wants him for even a 7th. Let Jensen or whoever sit in the press box as the 7th D.

On offense, Z is there to work with Mantha. Larkin gets reps at 2C with a pass-first winger and Vanek, who will at least hustle for pucks. AA gets a defensively responsible center and some spare grit, the 4th line continues to be largely worthless and probably still gets way too much ice time. On defense, we cut Kronwall's ice time in half, and stop benching Sproul for guys who won't ever have an NHL future. some part of the defensive side of each pair will always be playing over his head, so just cycle them up and down the pairs so no one has to spend several games getting beat up and down the ice. Let Green and Sproul QB the power plays. Keep Sheahan off the ice as the 8th forward or dump him for whatever anyone will give us. It's not a good team, but I think it would let the kids grow into the roles they should have in the future, while insulating them as much as possible with the veterans we have.

Ding ding ding- "stop benching sproul" couldn't of said it better myself. I've seen people in other threads want Svech up but he is not near NHL ready. He needs to stay down for this year and probably next. He has looked better though in the Griffins games I've been too since opening night(I think I've been to at least 6 this year)

Mantha-Zetterberg-Tatar
Nyquist-Larkin-Abdelkader (playmaking winger for Larkin in Gus, Abby to retrieve pucks)
AA-Nielsen-Vanek (Speed to complement Vanek)
Helm-Glendening-Sheahan/Ott/Jurco

Ouellet - Green
Dekeyser - Sproul
Big E - Kronwall

That's actually a nice little mix

Well 4 or 5 good players is almost two full forward lines so I'd say it's completely meaningful instead of diluting them through all the lines.

Larkin-Zetterberg-Mantha
Vanek-Helm-Nyquist
Tatar-Nielsen-AA
Miller-Glendening-Ott
Sheahan

I only see one fourth line for once. AA and Tatar get one hell of a defensive centre that can create and play off the puck. Z gets the kids, and we've seen that second line find success.

I don't like Helm in the top 6 but your right about only "one fourth line"

Last edited by a moderator:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Well 4 or 5 good players is almost two full forward lines so I'd say it's completely meaningful instead of diluting them through all the lines.

I was being generous. Many of the guys currently playing in the top 6, would be lucky to have that same role anywhere else in the league.

I thought before the season that Nielsen would be our best player, but he's got the worst plus/minus on the team and has struggled. Not all his fault as his linemates have been utter trash, but comparatively, Zetterberg has been better than Nielsen. Vanek has also been strong as has Mantha in his short stint.

That's three solid players, and it's still arguable what kind of role they'd have on other teams depending on how good that team was. On this team, we're not going anywhere offensively if the only good players are Zetterberg, Mantha and Vanek, with the other guys playing poor. You can't build lines with that.

If Tatar, Abdelkader, Nyquist and to some extent, Larkin, weren't having terrible seasons, this team could contend for a playoff spot.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
I was being generous. Many of the guys currently playing in the top 6, would be lucky to have that same role anywhere else in the league.

I thought before the season that Nielsen would be our best player, but he's got the worst plus/minus on the team and has struggled. Not all his fault as his linemates have been utter trash, but comparatively, Zetterberg has been better than Nielsen. Vanek has also been strong as has Mantha in his short stint.

That's three solid players, and it's still arguable what kind of role they'd have on other teams depending on how good that team was. On this team, we're not going anywhere offensively if the only good players are Zetterberg, Mantha and Vanek, with the other guys playing poor. You can't build lines with that.

If Tatar, Abdelkader, Nyquist and to some extent, Larkin, weren't having terrible seasons, this team could contend for a playoff spot.

What's your definition of good then? Nielsen, Larkin, Mantha, Zetterberg, Vanek are all good forwards. Elite? No. good? Yes so you really weren't being generous.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
What's your definition of good then? Nielsen, Larkin, Mantha, Zetterberg, Vanek are all good forwards. Elite? No. good? Yes so you really weren't being generous.

How many of those players could regularly play on the top two lines of a playoff team? Based on their current form.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Mantha/Zetterberg/Larkin (Rotate Larkin in on center)
Nyquist/Nielsen/Vanek
Abby/Helm/Tatar
Ott/Glendening/AA/Miller /Sheahan

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Mantha - Z - Abby
Vanek - Larkin - AA
Nyquist - Helm - Tatar
Glenny - Ott - Jurco

Should've never signed Nielsen despite how 'solid' he is. We're headed to a top 5 pick no matter what, might as well play the kids and lose then the vets. Could've drafted Chychrun (Fine with Cholowski tho, think he'll be good) and then we'd have some cap space to sign a dman instead of Nielsen.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
lines

I would like to see how each of the following would work out:

1) AA/Larkin/Helm-hard pressed to find a faster line in the league.

2) AA/Larkin/Mantha-Be nice to see if they have any chemistry

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
How many of those players could regularly play on the top two lines of a playoff team? Based on their current form.

That is not the argument that was made. You said you were being generous in saying the wings had 4 or 5 good forwards. But anyway all of them could be in the top 6 on any team

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Larkin is able to play all three forward positions? Have seen posters pencil him in a rotation of all three.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Larkin is able to play all three forward positions? Have seen posters pencil him in a rotation of all three.

Larkin has so many tools. In my opinion ,vision and passing are not two of them yet. I am not sure if it is vision, hockey IQ, youth,brain speed, or just a "I play for myself" approach. He appears to purposely not make the pass to the open man . I have noticed it on many occasions . He has the lane, a man in a grade A scoring position and he fails to make the pass and just skates by. Not a guy who piles up a lot of primary assists at this stage . I am sure the book on him tells you that on odd man rushes he is the shooter. Maybe it is just a misconception.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Dekeyser to the PP... don't like it, but can't get any worse than it has been.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...dekeyser_joins.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Blashill's quotes are hilarious. Says DD is good at breaking the puck up ice, shooting, and moving the puck...

He's good at none of those things.

The problems with the PP are not personnel related - they're system issues. This team has one of the worst PPs in 30 years and yet they're still a top half team in terms of ES production. Swapping out one player isn't going to change anything.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Ordinarily I'd be annoyed at DK getting PP time, but it can't possibly get any worse. Although, this will likely mean more shorthanded opportunities for the opposition.

The quote about DK helping with possession time is... confusing.

Ouellet has higher IQ and better passing ability and vision.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2