Management How would you rate Sweeney?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
  • Drafting C-
  • Developing draft picks and young talent B-
  • Identifying and signing college free agents B+
  • Acquiring NHL talent to fill holes (like Krejci's RW) C
  • Making trades (player for player, player for futures, futures for player). A
  • Trade deadline acquisitions B+
  • Free Agency (as in July 1st UFA's) D
  • Getting existing players to sign at discounts A
  • Overall team performance under Sweeney A-
  • Overall Grade: B
Almost all of his trades he's won. He's found good players in the draft, but whiffed badly at times too. He can't fill the Krejci RW hole, but he remade the third line with trades in 2018-19. Does fairly well at the deadline, gets his players to re-sign to team friendly deals. Free agency is a bust mostly - he'll get good depth guys like Wagner, Nordy, Schaller, Riley Nash, etc. and Halak, but his attempts at big moves - Beleskey and then Backes - were total disasters that set the team back by forcing us to deal first round picks to bail out of their cap hits. We'll see how Craig Smith fares, if he's productive as he should be, we can bump it up to a C- or C.

Overall, the team's been in the playoffs every year, got to game 7 of a final, and won a president's trophy. The window is shutting fast, I'm skeptical about the future of the team with the prospect cupboard not looking too stacked, but you can't say he hasn't been overall more good than bad.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'm curious to see how folks would rate Sweeney on the following criteria, and ultimately what kind of picture that paints.
  • Drafting
  • Developing draft picks and young talent
  • Identifying and signing college free agents
  • Acquiring NHL talent to fill holes (like Krejci's RW)
  • Making trades (player for player, player for futures, futures for player).
  • Trade deadline acquisitions
  • Free Agency (as in July 1st UFA's)
  • Getting existing players to sign at discounts
  • Overall team performance under Sweeney
  • Overall Grade: ?

Drafting: C-
Developing draft picks: C (only real guys to catch on from his picks are debrusk, Carlo and mcavoy)
Identifying college FA: B- (gryz)
Making trades: C
Trade deadline acquisitions: C
Free Agency: D
Getting players to sign at discount: A-
Overall team performance: B-
Overall grade: C

I gave the overall grade a C. Sweeney came in with Bergy, Marchand, Krejci And Rask all in their prime. Pasta has been here the entire tenure and Chara as well. Over that time he has had four top-15 first round picks and six overall first rounders. Throughout 6 offseason a he’s only managed to acquire three key contributors to this team in Debrusk, Carlo and Mcavoy.

It’s difficult to comprehend how you can be gifted all that and in six seasons you are only able to add three key contributors to this team.

Reactions: PlayMakers

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
  • Drafting C
  • Developing draft picks and young talent C
  • Identifying and signing college free agents B
  • Acquiring NHL talent to fill holes (like Krejci's RW) D
  • Making trades (player for player, player for futures, futures for player). C - take away the Coyle deal, which was an A move and I give him a D
  • Trade deadline acquisitions C
  • Free Agency (as in July 1st UFA's) C-
  • Getting existing players to sign at discounts A+
  • Overall team performance under Sweeney B we did not win the cup yet.
  • Overall Grade: C+

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
  • Drafting - C
I think it's a mixed bag. I don't get as worked up about draft position as some but I understand the frustration when it's a really big omission (like Barzal). I know some want to disregard 2015 because he wasn't on the job long but if you choose to throw out Barzal then you also can't give him credit for DeBrusk, Carlo, Lauzon... And I do like a lot of his picks; Studnicka, Lauzon, Beecher, Lauko, Hall, Vaak, Swayman, Berglund, Frederic... at the end of the day, we don't know what we have in these guys yet.
  • Developing draft picks and young talent: C
I would think, with his background, Sweeney would be better at this, but it feels like quite a few guys have stalled in their development. Frederic, Vaakanainen, Cehlarik, Zboril, Blidh... Senyshyn never took off, neither has Cooper Zech. At the NHL level too, guys like Heinen, Bjork, Lauzon, Kuhlman and Clifton haven't really established themselves as reliable NHL'ers and it feels like there's never a set role for them. They're always in and out of the lineup, on one side then the other, different partners or linemates... Contrast that with Jake DeBrusk, who plays on the 2nd line come hell or high water.

On the flip side, Studnicka looked good in the playoffs and I have high hopes for Lauzon, Clifton and Bjork to be regular contributors this year. I hope they get roles and are allowed to settle into them.
  • Identifying and signing college free agents: A
Considering the success rate of college free agents Sweeney has done really well. He also seems to have a great sense for defensemen. I'm really hoping Ahcan and Wolff are his next two success stories.
  • Acquiring NHL talent to fill holes: F
5 years without a second line RW during the end of the Bergeron era is unforgivable.
  • Making trades (player for player, player for futures, futures for player): C
He has done very well as a seller; Lucic, Hamilton. I think he's done very poorly on hockey trades; Heinen for Ritchie, Smith for Hayes... He's done better dealing futures for talent; Donato for Coyle, a pick for Mojo, but he's also had some duds in there as well.
  • Trade deadline acquisitions: D
Always leaves me wanting more. Feels like he never goes all in. Coyle and Mojo stand as his best day, and even on that day I was pissed he didn't do more to land a RW for Krejci (and it was going to be Coyle then he didn't do more to land a 3C). They needed 3 players at that deadline and came away with 2, and it was almost enough.

It also feels like he doesn't target the perfect fit. Rather than identify 2 or 3 guys who would solve this problem, he goes to the market saying what can I get for two dimes and a nickel? Like he's more concerned about what he's spending than what he's getting.
  • Free Agency (as in July 1st UFA's): D
There are some wins here: Halak, Wagner, Nordy, but for the most part he's added players that he had to pay to get rid of; Beleskey, Backes, maybe Moore. He's never added a difference maker, like a Savard or Chara, even when he had an in like with Taylor Hall.
  • Getting existing players to sign at discounts: A
I worry a little that his hard-line approach will lead to some ill will from their star players, or bring back the reputation that the Bruins are a cheap organization that won't pay for talent, but for now that's just a worry. Good deals are good deals.
  • Overall team performance under Sweeney: A-
He took a DNQ team, changed the coach and saw that team make it to a Cup final and win a President's Trophy. I take a point off because I think he could have done a bit more to get them over the hump, but few teams have had as much success over the last couple years.
  • Overall Grade: C-
Overall, I can see elements of the future coming together with guys like Studnicka, Beecher, Frederic down the middle, really mobile defense like Mac, Gryz, Carlo and even a potential Rask replacement in Swayman or Keyser. On the other hand, he seems to really struggle making deals to acquire what we need, in trade or free agency. If we don't grow it, we don't get it. And it's going to be hard to replace truly elite players like Chara, Bergeron and Marchand. He doesn't really draft play driving offensive players like Marchand at all.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
"If we don't grow it, we don't get it. And it's going to be hard to replace truly elite players like Chara, Bergeron and Marchand. He doesn't really draft play driving offensive players like Marchand at all.

He has to be hoping he is growing them. Bergie and Krejci were second rounders, Brad a third, Chara (though not a Bruins pick) a third, and if you took that group at their draft time would you have said two first ballot HOFers, a solid first line talent in Krejci in his prime, and the best LW in the NHL in Marchand?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm curious to see how folks would rate Sweeney on the following criteria, and ultimately what kind of picture that paints.
  • Drafting
  • Developing draft picks and young talent
  • Identifying and signing college free agents
  • Acquiring NHL talent to fill holes (like Krejci's RW)
  • Making trades (player for player, player for futures, futures for player).
  • Trade deadline acquisitions
  • Free Agency (as in July 1st UFA's)
  • Getting existing players to sign at discounts
  • Overall team performance under Sweeney
  • Overall Grade: ?

Gms dont draft... but he was part of the scout group before. Seems ok

Many guys i hope to develop never do... others surprise me... we always seem to have kids ready for spots so its ok

Seems he found several college ufa

Considering how many trades get lost... and how so many are tied to cap... im glad he hasnt lost trades or got stuck with crap contracts, as a fantasy gm, ive learnt trades require the other guy to agree. Easier said than done

Deadline deals havent been great.

Free agency has avoided massive bad contracts for the most part

Our cap is outstanding

Team has been top 4 the last 3 seasons with playoff success each year... great

Overall... i think we could have kept chiarelli... sweeney hasnt been a superstar but hes safe and avoids icebergs

We had a great core for him to inherit... it will be interesting to see where we sit 5 years from now

I dont think sweeney is a guy to handle a rebuild from the ground up... but hes done just fine tweaking us

Solid b+

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Many guys i hope to develop never do... others surprise me... we always seem to have kids ready for spots so its ok

Considering how many trades get lost... and how so many are tied to cap... im glad he hasnt lost trades or got stuck with crap contracts, as a fantasy gm, ive learnt trades require the other guy to agree. Easier said than done

Our cap is outstanding

Overall... i think we could have kept chiarelli... sweeney hasnt been a superstar but hes safe and avoids icebergs

We had a great core for him to inherit... it will be interesting to see where we sit 5 years from now

I dont think sweeney is a guy to handle a rebuild from the ground up... but hes done just fine tweaking us

Solid b+

GMs don't draft? Come on, man.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Our cap is outstanding

Solid b+

so instead he is responsible for having a grand total of 1 NHL player on the team from the 2007-2013 drafts and Chiarelli is off the hook? (Grzelcyk).

Reactions: Lo97 and LSCII

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm just going to go overall grade and say he's above average so "B" for me.

His strength is signing current players to team friendly deals & finding NCAA FA's. I'd also say he's better on trades than some make it seem. In fact outside of the Smith deal, IDK that he "lost" many deals. At worst they were a wash where neither team got a massive advantage. He's also been solid at finding those bottom 6/depth guys that come in have a few good years and then move on.

There is a weakness with drafting, but how much is Sweeney vs how much is the group he surrounded himself with. I'd also say signing more prominent UFA's hasn't been great. His biggest UFA signing was probably David Backes and we know how that ended. Filling that Top 6 RW spot obviously has been troublesome and still a question mark. Sweeney and Co. do seem very wary of trading prospects to immediate help and then in the off-season they sign depth guys, which take spots from prospects trying to earn a spot.

The thing that has frustrated me the most is handling prospects. Outside of McAvoy, Carlo and DeBrusk, its been hard for draft picks since Sweeney took over to get a look:

PlayerGP
Brandon Carlo297
Jake Debrusk203
Charles McAvoy184
Jeremy Lauzon35
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson29
Trent Frederic17
Urho Vaakanainen7
Zachary Senyshyn6
Jack Studnicka2
Jakub Zboril2
Cameron Hughes1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
JFK is top 5 in gp for picks under Sweeney....and his last NHL game was almost 2 years ago.

It been said that Sweeney hates trading his 1st round picks, but he's had 7 first rounders and only two are NHL regulars. Why so hesitant to move 1st rounders if you're not going to play them anyways? Last year this team needed a RW, yet for some reason Studnicka never got a look? The kid played there in the playoffs, but wasn't even worth looking at during the season? Imagine if they did get Stud's a look and he went into the playoffs with 30-40 games under his belt vs 2 games played.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
  • Drafting C-
  • Developing draft picks and young talent B-
  • Identifying and signing college free agents B+
  • Acquiring NHL talent to fill holes (like Krejci's RW) C
  • Making trades (player for player, player for futures, futures for player). A
  • Trade deadline acquisitions B+
  • Free Agency (as in July 1st UFA's) D
  • Getting existing players to sign at discounts A
  • Overall team performance under Sweeney A-
  • Overall Grade: B
Almost all of his trades he's won. He's found good players in the draft, but whiffed badly at times too. He can't fill the Krejci RW hole, but he remade the third line with trades in 2018-19. Does fairly well at the deadline, gets his players to re-sign to team friendly deals. Free agency is a bust mostly - he'll get good depth guys like Wagner, Nordy, Schaller, Riley Nash, etc. and Halak, but his attempts at big moves - Beleskey and then Backes - were total disasters that set the team back by forcing us to deal first round picks to bail out of their cap hits. We'll see how Craig Smith fares, if he's productive as he should be, we can bump it up to a C- or C.

Overall, the team's been in the playoffs every year, got to game 7 of a final, and won a president's trophy. The window is shutting fast, I'm skeptical about the future of the team with the prospect cupboard not looking too stacked, but you can't say he hasn't been overall more good than bad.

He's won almost all his trades?

Smith for Hayes was a lousy trade

Hamilton for the draft picks isn't a winner.

Coyle great trade and Kuraly was a good trade.

I see a mixed bag there.

Reactions: Lo97 and Gordoff

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Drafting: C- they seem to be about average for the league in the number of rostered players they drafted since 2015. Of course 2015 was a bit of a whiff in the first round but this grade to me could end up a B or a D- depending on how guys in the system ultimately turnout. Too much unknown yet.

College FAs: A - Sweeney and co. are good at this

NHL Talent to fill holes?: F- they just have not done this well at all

Making Trades: D not a lot to go on here but overall not great. Kase may pan out. N. Ritchie looks like a flop. Smith for Hayes was a disaster

Trade Deadline: D also pretty poor. Adds like Liles, Stafford, Stempniak just don't move the needle. Related to above, really. Nash was a good stab at it, but it didn't work out. Johansson was a good trade.

Free Agency: C+ - I know Don has never landed the big fish so it can't be a good score, but I think Craig Smith is a good signing, and he has done well with the bottom 6/depth type players- Lindholm, Nordstrom, Wagner, Kampfer. Moore is probably overpaid a bit, but is a solid depth guy. Some useful players have been signed.

Existing players: A Pasta and Brad. Enough said. Coyles was a good extension at a good price. Gryz is a solid contract. Krug was on his last deal as well. McAvoy and Carlo bridges were good. It's not an A+ because Wags is overpaid and over-termed.

Overall team performance: A- -should have won a cup v. St. Louis and the team was crap in the bubble, but overall under Sweeney the team has improved and is one of the best clubs in the league coming off a piss poor dumping by Ottawa in round 1 in 2016 and a DNQ the year before he came aboard.
Wow! Way too kind. How can you give an overall A-? :laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Wow! Way too kind. How can you give an overall A-? :laugh:

Team performance- 1 game away from a cup win, this season the team was rolling until Covid. All bets were off after that. The season before the Cup run was a strong season after that disgraceful loss to Ottawa in round 1, and the year before was a DNQ. There are not many other comparable teams in terms of performance both regular season and playoffs.

I gave Sweeney a B overall as a GM in a separate post.

But I should not be surprised that you laugh. You don't like Sweeney and basically trash everything about the team right now. I do almost wonder if you even like the Bruins because you are one of those posters that never really has anything positive to say about the team.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Team performance- 1 game away from a cup win, this season the team was rolling until Covid. All bets were off after that. The season before the Cup run was a strong season after that disgraceful loss to Ottawa in round 1, and the year before was a DNQ. There are not many other comparable teams in terms of performance both regular season and playoffs.

I gave Sweeney a B overall as a GM in a separate post.

But I should not be surprised that you laugh. You don't like Sweeney and basically trash everything about the team right now. I do almost wonder if you even like the Bruins because you are one of those posters that never really has anything positive to say about the team.
So we're going to use the Covid excuse for Sweeneys incompetence now? I like how there are excuses made for his failures yet when a player signs because he wants to be in Boston (Gryz, Coyle, etc), Sweeney is suddenly a genius. :laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So we're going to use the Covid excuse for Sweeneys incompetence now? I like how there are excuses made for his failures yet when a player signs because he wants to be in Boston (Gryz, Coyle, etc), Sweeney is suddenly a genius. :laugh:

Who did that? I didn't do that so not sure who you are talking about with this post. He's signed some good players and he has signed some dogshit players. He's drafted some good one and some bad ones. His ability to fill obvious holes in the roster (2nd line RW, a Chara replacement) is abysmal. But overall, the team has performed near the top of the league. That is just not in dispute and some of that is down to Sweeney. If we are going to shit on the guy for the 2015 draft and boners like Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo, and Backes, then we give him his props where they are due. The team has been and still is good and some of that is his doing.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Who did that? I didn't do that so not sure who you are talking about with this post. He's signed some good players and he has signed some dogshit players. He's drafted some good one and some bad ones. His ability to fill obvious holes in the roster (2nd line RW, a Chara replacement) is abysmal. But overall, the team has performed near the top of the league. That is just not in dispute and some of that is down to Sweeney. If we are going to shit on the guy for the 2015 draft and boners like Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo, and Backes, then we give him his props where they are due. The team has been and still is good and some of that is his doing.
I didn't even mention 2015 or Belesky, Backes, Hayes or Rinaldo. (Mostly because I liked the Belesky, Backes and Rinaldo moves)
Overall he's been a failure.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
so instead he is responsible for having a grand total of 1 NHL player on the team from the 2007-2013 drafts and Chiarelli is off the hook? (Grzelcyk).

Seems to me there is a scouting staff... they all get together... there is usually a head scout. I dont think sweeney was the head scout

Maybe he was more in player development? Guys like gorton and gretzky possibly were head scout?

Anyhow... just listening to gms and scouts talk about it leads me to believe its a collaboritive effort and its always negotiable when guys disagree which way the branch will break

But gms dont have time to scout and usually will not overrule their scouts

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I didn't even mention 2015 or Belesky, Backes, Hayes or Rinaldo. (Mostly because I liked the Belesky, Backes and Rinaldo moves)
Overall he's been a failure.

How do you figure? The team performance is all that you can really measure a GM by, right? He took over a team that was on a serious decline trajectory and turned it around. Yes he had some good players already here, but Chia had made a mess of it by the end. He hired our current coach who is one of the best in the league and who has gotten just about the most he can out of the team he has been given. They win a lot more than they lose. If he is a failure what do we call Pierre Dorion or Marc Bergevin or Kyle Dubas? Not to mention the now departed Chayka in Arizona. How about Rob Blake in LA? Stan Bowman in Chicago who has basically started a rebuild. How does he compare to those guys given the Bruins overall success in a 31 team league?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He inherited a contending core, but has consistently failed to add the final piece. Big failure on free agents. C drafting. Overall D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad