How Would you Rate Melnyk's Promise for the Sens?

Will Melnyk have his success to the level of leafs or no?

• Total voters

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Poll question should sum it up but I will re-inform for those that don't know.

Couple years back Eugene Melnyk made news by stating he did not want to do things the "Leafs way" and from 2021-2026 would spend to the cap each season, giving his team unparalleled success during that time.

So my question is: Does the outcome look better than the Leafs, worse, same, or too close to call

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
My guess is they’ll be competitive starting in 2023, I wouldn’t be upset if I was a sens fan

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I’d rate it much the same as I rate his other comments.
A blah blah blah option would’ve been good.

Reactions: banks

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
His team will be as successful as a team that hasn't won a playoff series in 15 years?

Lofty goals there, man. Still think the Ottawa Senators miss the mark of that type of "success" in the coming seasons.

Reactions: NyQuil and Sting

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It entirely depends how you mean it.

Will they win a playoff round in that time span to surpass the leafs of this time span? Honestly, probably...or at least maybe.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Stutzle, Tkachuk and Chabot seem like a pretty comparable group to Nylander, Marner, and Reilly.

I feel like it would take something quite special for these Senators not to have a bright future, particularly as they're not done adding pieces to it.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I think Eugene needs to focus on his forensic investigation into the Karlsson injury.
That report was due many years ago.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Crow

May 19, 2014
Too soon to tell seems like the smart vote here. They’ve got a chance to. Already have a better 1D locked up. Need a prospect to be a franchise center.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Don't the Leafs spend to the cap? How is Ottawa spending to the cap different than the Leafs way? I'm confused here, sorry.

Also, what's the cutoff for the Leafs window for this poll? Do the Leafs get to claim the period from 2016-2026 which gives them an additional like 5 seasons? Or do the Sens need to be more successful in 2021-26 than the Leafs in 2016-21?

Too many missing variables, so I'll just go "too soon to tell". This is clearly going to bring out the trolls to take shots at the Leafs not winning a series, but I'm genuinely curious about the above. Makes it hard to vote when everything is so vague.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Don't the Leafs spend to the cap? How is Ottawa spending to the cap different than the Leafs way? I'm confused here, sorry.

Also, what's the cutoff for the Leafs window for this poll? Do the Leafs get to claim the period from 2016-2026 which gives them an additional like 5 seasons? Or do the Sens need to be more successful in 2021-26 than the Leafs in 2016-21?

Too many missing variables, so I'll just go "too soon to tell". This is clearly going to bring out the trolls to take shots at the Leafs not winning a series, but I'm genuinely curious about the above. Makes it hard to vote when everything is so vague.

I’m not really sure why the Leafs are mentioned in this. I looked up the statement and the only mention of Toronto is the fact he held the conference in Toronto.

Edit: Ok, I did some Googling. I think the comment the OP is referring to is:

“Look, they’re stuck. They cannot — OK, I better not say what I was gonna say. They’re going to have a tough time winning a Stanley Cup without defence, because they’re hitting the cap. They can’t bring anybody new in. So, they’re stuck. And that’s where you have to be extremely careful. Mistakes were made. Somebody forgot about defence.”

It was a comment he made on a radio show a month later. And it doesn't sound like he was comparing the Sens situation with the Leafs situation..probably just asked about them by the interviewer? And honestly, I don't think he was wrong with his statement. I think the mistake he's referring to was signing John Tavares in 2018, instead of allocating that $11M cap hit to defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: SNES

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Too soon to tell.

Because it remains to be seen if he'll open the wallet for Brady/Stutzle/Sanderson.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
If they were to win one (1) playoff series they’d be better than the Leafs’ past almost two decades lmfao

Reactions: Crow

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Too soon to tell.

Because it remains to be seen if he'll open the wallet for Brady/Stutzle/Sanderson.

So he opened the wallet for Chabot, White, Dadonov and Murray but won't for those players?

Is this because he wouldn't sign a dead horse to a 9 figure contract a couple years ago?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Sens have been killing it getting prospects but their pro scouting is absolute garbage.

Tkachuk
Stutzle
Batherson
Norris
White
Paul
Brown
Abramov

Chabot
Sanderson
Brannstrom
Zub
JBD
Lassie

That's a championship caliber nucleus if they surround it with the right players

Reactions: NyQuil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think Eugene needs to focus on his forensic investigation into the Karlsson injury.
That report was due many years ago.

Imagine having no new material that you recycle 8 year old jokes lol.

Coming from someone who hates Melnyk, you can do a lot better. So much more recent material.

Complete disappointment. What's next, making fun of that pre game warrior enactment from 2012?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If Melnyk wants this team to be a top team in the NHL then he's going to need to spend to the cap or close to it. Obviously just spending to the cap isn't enough on it's own but the low budget means we have to settle for bargain bin players too often. Granted the signings of Chabot, White and Dadonov to significant contracts is a good sign.

With COVID destroying the bottom line, I can't see the spending increasing so I don't put any stock in Melnyk's promise.

The team could still become a powerhouse but it seems far more likely that it will be in spite of Melnyk rather than thanks to Melnyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad