How would you rank the importance of each player on the Bruins top PP unit?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
1. Bergeron - the straw that stirs the drink. Some people think Krug is what made the Bruins PP start clicking but I think it has more to do with them finally figuring out how to use Bergy. There's a reason every team is looking for a "bumper" guy now.
2. Pastrnak - sometimes you just need a guy who can rocket it home or overwhelm you with skill.
3. Krug - His creativity makes them very hard to defend or predict.
4. Marchand - Not to take anything away from him, but this is just a stacked unit & someone else could probably do his job at like 80% effectiveness in a pinch.
5. Debrusk - He's a good fit here, but pretty interchangeable with a lot of the other guys they have in the org.

Biggest struggle for me was where to place Krug & Marchand. Marchand is elite, but the PP is not his bread & butter necessarily & I don't feel like he does otherworldly things on the PP that others can't -- he's more impressive 5 on 5 & PK IMO.

Krug is a special talent, but there's certainly a risk/reward tradeoff and I do wonder if that unit would really suffer all that much if he was replaced with McAvoy. It would likely mean more touches for Pastrnak & Marchand which probably wouldn't result in too much of a falloff. With that said, empirically, Krug really QBs that unit so credit where due.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
1. Krug - His decision making is just so ridiculously quick and precise, he's the obvious PP QB. Yes, you could put McAvoy here, but it wouldn't be the same.

2. Bergeron - The funnel for the PP, he's just so good in that bumper spot. Even if he's not picking up a point, the other team seems to be drawn to defending him the most. One-timer from the slot is excellent if he's not quickly dishing it off.

3. Pastrnak - I think he's close to Bergeron just because we don't have that kind of shot talent anywhere else on the team. Does have a tendency to overhandle it though.

4. Marchand - Even with having the most PP points, I still think he's the most replaceable of the big 4. His cross-crease feeds are fantastic though, and he can get those shots off quickly from the right side, just not as well as Pasta.

5. DeBrusk - I really like him as the net front presence, but realistically there are others that could do this job, although not as well. His tenacity in front is great for picking up the garbage.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Krug/Bergeron/Pasta
Marchand
DeBrusk

Breaking down those top 3 is the fun part.

Pasta obviously gives them one of the best non Ovi one timers on the dot. I sometimes catch myself getting frustrated when he breaks a stick or misses one. And then I note how few other teams take those shots. Because it's hard.

Krug has great vision and knows how to get a shot with a purpose (rebound or deflection) thru. He is also dynamite rotating down to the half wall and really putting a lot of stress on the defenders down low.

Bergeron's release is so quick from the high slot, and he is so good at taking a couple of quick steps and getting open and present his stick for a pass.

If you take away Bergeron, few folks require the defensive attention from the high slot and you can cheat defensively.

If you take away Pasta, few folks can hammer the one timer with accuracy (especially if the pass isn't perfect) and you can cheat defensively.

If you take away Krug, few d-men can rotate around and provide so many alternate looks to break down your structure.

I dunno.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

aguineapig

For many years we prayed for a pp quarterback. We were sent Dickie Redmond, Ab DeMarco, Dominic "THE SHOT" Lavoie, Barry Richter and Tomas Kaberle amongst others. Heaven then sent a ton of talent in a little package, with the heart of a Lion. And the PP now at the top of the league. Pay the man.

Reactions: Strafer

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For many years we prayed for a pp quarterback. We were sent Dickie Redmond, Ab DeMarco, Dominic "THE SHOT" Lavoie, Barry Richter and Tomas Kaberle amongst others. Heaven then sent a ton of talent in a little package, with the heart of a Lion. And the PP now at the top of the league. Pay the man.

I must have played a lot of video game hockey that year because I was sure that Barry Richter was on the team longer than 50 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad