How would you like Center time partitioned between Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Domi, etc?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Man, Domi really gets no respect. He had the best season of any C we've had in years, and his reward was to be demoted to wing and bumped down to lower lines. And now he's seen as an afterthought.

Yeah, Suzuki has greater potential and KK might develop into a top-six C, but right now Domi's done what we're hoping they'll do. As to the new contract, every team is squeezed by the flat cap. Nobody can afford a big payday. Unless there's a real issue in the locker room, I'd love to hang onto the kid.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man, Domi really gets no respect. He had the best season of any C we've had in years, and his reward was to be demoted to wing and bumped down to lower lines. And now he's seen as an afterthought.

Yeah, Suzuki has greater potential and KK might develop into a top-six C, but right now Domi's done what we're hoping they'll do. As to the new contract, every team is squeezed by the flat cap. Nobody can afford a big payday. Unless there's a real issue in the locker room, I'd love to hang onto the kid.

That has more to do with how crappy our centers have been versus how great he was. He also had a pretty underwhelming season playing similarly to how he did in Zona which got him traded.

Personally, I think we should trade him. I have no interest whatsoever in having Suzuki, Tatar, Gallagher and Domi in our top 6. Sick and tired of peewee size players. Suzuki and Gallagher are the two I rather keep.
If we do have to keep everyone then I agree, put Domi as top center and see if he can play like 18-19.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That has more to do with how crappy our centers have been versus how great he was. He also had a pretty underwhelming season playing similarly to how he did in Zona which got him traded.

Personally, I think we should trade him. I have no interest whatsoever in having Suzuki, Tatar, Gallagher and Domi in our top 6. Sick and tired of peewee size players. Suzuki and Gallagher are the two I rather keep.
If we do have to keep everyone then I agree, put Domi as top center and see if he can play like 18-19.
I'd be cool with trading Domi, as long as the return is good and one of the younger kids step up as a top C. Just seems weird to be hanging onto all our vets and looking to trade a talented 25-year old. There's zero logic in who stays and goes on this team.

You have a point about the surplus of small guys.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I'd be cool with trading Domi, as long as the return is good and one of the younger kids step up as a top C. Just seems weird to be hanging onto all our vets and looking to trade a talented 25-year old. There's zero logic in who stays and goes on this team.

If you are going to move out smaller players you start with Gallagher. Playing like a bowling ball shortens careers. He is 28 and probably only has 2 or 3 good years left. Domi may have 10. If Domi dosen't get along with Julien fire Clod.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

We need to change the top 6 in any event. Going back into it with Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Danault, Domi and Suzuki is unacceptable to me. They're not going to lead us anywhere, we can't compete with that group, so the only solution is to make changes.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If you are going to move out smaller players you start with Gallagher. Playing like a bowling ball shortens careers. He is 28 and probably only has 2 or 3 good years left. Domi may have 10. If Domi dosen't get along with Julien fire Clod.

Even if DOMI gets along with Julien, FIRE CLOD!

Reactions: montreal

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

I wanted to post this for a long time.

People want to trade the guy who got 70 points after a decade?

What is wrong with this fanbase? Domi should be the last player traded on this roster.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I appreciate the season he had a year ago but this season, that’s a whole other story. He’s been like a less talented Kovalev, coasting for the majority of games. He’s awful defensively, so when he’s not producing,he’s a liability and takes stupid selfish penalties. Because of that, you have to put him with defensively responsible wingers, which includes the likes of Lehkonen, Armia and Byron. They all suck offensively, unable to really create anything, and Domi isn’t good enough to turn them effective. So he’s in limbo right now.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I appreciate the season he had a year ago but this season, that’s a whole other story. He’s been like a less talented Kovalev, coasting for the majority of games. He’s awful defensively, so when he’s not producing,he’s a liability and takes stupid selfish penalties. Because of that, you have to put him with defensively responsible wingers, which includes the likes of Lehkonen, Armia and Byron. They all suck offensively, unable to really create anything, and Domi isn’t good enough to turn them effective. So he’s in limbo right now.

A less talented version of Alexei Kovalev? I will take that player instead of the plugs we currently have in our roster.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its a fair question, and im sure we could get Pulujaarvi for draft picks
Another question is are you okay paying Domi 8 million? a year.

Definitely not but I'm inclined to believe that we can get much more than Pulju for Domi. Sell him as a center plus his high point season and grit will make him highly desirable to a team valuing these attributes.

However, if I had my druthers, I'd keep him for the reasons others gave -- give Suzuki and KK time to grow into top line roles.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

I'm with you. Every few years we get to a point when we have several decently talented centermen, and fans (and sometimes near-sighted GMs) cannot wait to trade them away. In 96-97, we had Turgeon, Damphousse and Koivu as centers, and soon enough Turgeon was shipped out for Corson and crumbs. This is contact sport, with injuries happening all the time. I'd rather not sell low on Domi. If he likes the team, let him offer a discount to stay in Montreal.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wanted to post this for a long time.

People want to trade the guy who got 70 points after a decade?

What is wrong with this fanbase? Domi should be the last player traded on this roster.

We really don't know what domi is. The first year domi was not the same as 2nd year domi, and he is a liability at times when he tries to do too much.

Either way, a contender is typically built on top end centers, and while domi may be part of the solution to the ultimate puzzle, I don't look to him as the solution towards that "top end" center to build a cup contender around.

Reactions: Redux91

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Domi overperformed big time and prob will never equal that performance. Hes not a natural c and is not more important than either Suzuki or Kk in terms of future

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
For next season,
Danault: 17 min, plays against top line of other team
Suzuki: 17 min
Kotkaniemi: 14:30 min
Evans: 11:30 min

KK could get more depending on how he plays

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There was a reason why he was called PDOmi last year.

His numbers weren't sustainable. What we got this year is what he is.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
My preference would be to shift Danault to wing. He'd still take defensive/key faceoffs, and probably still center a PK unit but otherwise would move to wing. I would probably aim for something like 18-17-16-9 in terms of ice time and run with Domi-Suzuki-Kotkaniemi respectively but nothing should really be set in stone.

Poehling in the AHL.
Danault is your best defensive center and you want to shift him to the wing? Why? It’s more than just about faceoffs.

Reactions: Be a Hab

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Depends on how much Domi will ask for on his next contract. 6 years at $6.5M is the right number. If he starts higher at $8M and don't budge, consider trading him or signing him to a 1 year deal cause he has 2 RFA years left. Now way he should get more than Nylander.

2) Depends on what steps forward Kotkaniemi takes in this next play in round and to start the season next year. Ideally, Kotkaniemi plays AHL for at least half the season and he gets called up if he dominates. If he is taking steps forward in the AHL but only has decent numbers (which is probable), keep him in the AHL so he can work on his offensive game and PP time.

Said it before and will say it again... Roll 3 lines with the 4th mixed in here and there. Top players get the extra time on the PP and PK

:tvhappy: :sarcasm: / Suzuki / Kovalchuk
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Domi / Armia
Poehling / Evans / Byron

Lehkonen

If Kotkaniemi shows up more stronger and confident, I think we should consider trading Domi if we can get a D. Domi for Brodin (with extension) works for me. Hate to trade Domi though to be honest. But if he is not willing to play wing and wants to get a max deal from us, I would move him.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
We need to change the top 6 in any event. Going back into it with Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Danault, Domi and Suzuki is unacceptable to me. They're not going to lead us anywhere, we can't compete with that group, so the only solution is to make changes.

100% though I don’t know who to trade.

We need to trade for two players with size in our top 9. Keeping Suzuki, Danault and Gallagher are my priority. If I can shift the others for wing size like Anderson or defense I try to.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. But Domi has to be willing to play wing as a puck possession winger type. And not want to break the bank with us. Nylander is my bench mark contract for Domi. Domi better not start at $8M and not want to budge. Cause that's one way to want out or be shipped out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100% though I don’t know who to trade.

We need to trade for two players with size in our top 9. Keeping Suzuki, Danault and Gallagher are my priority. If I can shift the others for wing size like Anderson or defense I try to.

Poehling can take one of those positions of size. Just needs mature time. Then you let go both of Byron and Lehkonen and replace them with Lafreniere or someone with size (Holtz)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I get what you're saying - but he's also always been a winger. 3 years ago we had no C - now we have arguably 5 (don't forget Poehling - struggled a bit last year, but him being a top 2-3C is still a possibility). I personally also move Domi to the wing - but I think that's a good thing, not a sign of disrespect.

Danault to me is the most obvious choice at C. Not saying I want him #1C, but he's obviously a top 3C for us.
Suzuki - also, until proven otherwise. I was really high on him at time of trade, he's done nothing but improve, C is his natural position, so seems a fit.

I'm of the opinion that we drafted KK as a top 3 overall to get a franchise center. He was great in year 1, struggled in year 2. He's still super young. Most top prospects don't even make the NHL before 20 yrs old, which he'll be this season. I give him benefit of doubt and hope he pans out as a #1, or #2C.

And - we're out of center spots. Best case scenario is Domi plays winger - it means both Suzuki and KK pan out. If Domi plays center - it's because one of the other 2 falters. Don't think it's a sign of disrespect for Domi.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Suzuki should get our top offensive wingers.
Danault should get the tough defensive match-ups.
Domi plays 3C and is used on an exploitation line.

Kotkaniemi is sent to the AHL to continue to develop his game and only comes up when the AHL is a joke and he is able to implicate himself on the game rather than being a passenger.

One Kotkaniemi succeeds, he plays the second line role. Danault moves down. Domi moves to wing or is traded for help on defense.
Although I don't see the final outcome happening (KK displacing Domi), I agree 100% this is the way to proceed.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well we know Tatar and Gallagher will be playing with Danault, so there's no point in debating that. As for the other 4 wingers that complete the top 9, I have Drouin, Kovalchuk, Evans, and Armia. Byron and Lehkonen on the 4th line with Dauphin in the middle.
Sure I'd welcome a trade, but for who?

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Suzuki Armia (Kovy & Suzie make up for Armia's lack of hockey sense. Armia's defense balances Kovy's lack thereof)
Drouin Domi Evans (ideally we sign one of Hoffman, or Hall, but I'm not holding my breath)
Byron Dauphin Lehkonen
Weal

I would like to give Evans a shot on the wing with 2 offensive players... I think he may be good for at least 20 goals and 40 to 50 points...
I agree with most of your post except I feel you're being too optimistic with Evans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad