How would the expansion draft work if a GM gave his entire roster NMCs?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It'd be a cool twist on the expansion draft if, instead of teams choosing to protect players, they automatically chose to give their next available first round pick to Seattle. Few teams would choose this option, so Seattle would still end up with many NHL-ready players, but you'd think there might be a contender or two that has a player on the bubble that they want to keep and elect to give up a 1st rounder instead to keep him.
You get to protect 8 forwards , 3 dman, and a goalie?

You think it's worth trading a 1st for a 9th forward, 4th d man, or backup goalie caliber of player?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Would a team with 2 goalies with NMCs be deemed draft non-compliant? Wonder if Bergevin could have offered Allen a NMC without penalities.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Would a team with 2 goalies with NMCs be deemed draft non-compliant? Wonder if Bergevin could have offered Allen a NMC without penalities.
Depends if minor league goalie is still on entry level contract. It's possible to have minor league players that are still draft eligible.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Honestly though if it's only a 2nd round pick or something I'd probably take the penalty if it means you can't lose anyone valuable in the draft.

I guess, but then you probably cripple your team in the long run more than losing 1 player. Because those won't all be 1 year contract, they'll be long-ish terms for your top 6 forwards, goalie and best D. And if any of those players went south, you're doomed. And if your team is not a top team, you're stuck with that mediocre core. If it's a top team, they're likely a couple high contracts there...
Let's not kid ourselves, Vegas made bank on a couple teams who gave them valuable assets when they did not necessarily need to (hello Florida, Anaheim, Pens???).

I assume we'd have to offer Lindgren? Or you sign a random UFA goalie to minimum salary...?

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Going down the hypothetical road here, what if all teams did that? Seattle would get draft compensation, but they wouldn't be able to ice a team next year without paying 4th liners big bucks to get the cap floor.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think if you want the answer to this question, you need to ask either Ken Holland or Jim Benning!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If the penalty was draft picks surely those picks would move to Seattle right? This thread seems like a stupid question but I’m genuinely curious what the answer is.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
If Peter Chiarelli had done that for Oilers, Seattle would be free to pick up Connor McDavid who can't have NMC due to his age.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s so contrived but just for fun...

If you had all your contracted guys on the NHL roster under NTC’s you’d have to lose one of the other contracted guys in your system. So you would have to expose prospects you really didn’t want to lose, and that would normally be exempt from the draft. If you somehow didn’t have players that would provide Seattle with a suitably able player then the circumventing penalties would be a talking point, for sure.

Anyway you’d have bigger issues than the expansion draft, like the most incompetent GM/Owner pairing in sporting history.

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
I assume we'd have to offer Lindgren? Or you sign a random UFA goalie to minimum salary...?

Isn't that basically what New York Rangers did, sign Keith Kinkaid to a 2 years contract just to have an exposed goalie for the expansion draft?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So you'd rather cripple your organization with NMC than give 1 player to Seattle?

If Ron Francis is going to be lauded and encouraged for taking the least expensive good players so he can then weaponize cap space, why should other GMs not consider ideas like this or signing their FAs after the ED?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You would have to sign players to expose. You have an expose limit, there's no way around it.

They would have to sign to sign a few 2 year contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad