How would the expansion draft work if a GM gave his entire roster NMCs?

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
I think teams have a cap on the number of NMCs they're allowed no?

EDIT: This is incorrect, but I think the league would penalize the team with draft picks for every player that they are over as compensation to the expansion team.

Reactions: Tryamw

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Penalties are levied against an organization that is not expansion draft eligible, those penalties were never formally released during the Vegas expansion though.
Honestly though if it's only a 2nd round pick or something I'd probably take the penalty if it means you can't lose anyone valuable in the draft.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly though if it's only a 2nd round pick or something I'd probably take the penalty if it means you can't lose anyone valuable in the draft.
I would assume the penalty would be much heftier...but this is the NHL we are talking about

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think teams have a cap on the number of NMCs they're allowed no?

EDIT: This is incorrect, but I think the league would penalize the team with draft picks for every player that they are over as compensation to the expansion team.
Hmm. So let's say a team is only allowed to protect X number/combination of players, but a GM wants to keep X+1 number of players. It might be worth it...

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
The penalty would be a 1st or more simply for being negligent in being ready

the NHL just fined Arizona a 1st+2nd for their GM getting workouts early; this would, IMO, be only slightly less severe

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

the NHL just fined Arizona a 1st+2nd for their GM getting workouts early; this would, IMO, be only slightly less severe
Might be worth it depending on the team's situation.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Might be worth it depending on the team's situation.
I doubt any team would ever have it be their worst available player is more valuable than a 1st

that means they dont even have any AHL guys they can sign for one year 800k whos worth less than a 1st

idet thatd be possible in NHL 21

Reactions: swiftwin

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Honestly if a team, with years of advanced notice, decided not to comply with the expansion draft rules the NHL would come down on them extremely hard. Probably multiple high picks given up to the expansion team along with massive fines.

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
Hmm. So let's say a team is only allowed to protect X number/combination of players, but a GM wants to keep X+1 number of players. It might be worth it...

I think that this is essentially what some teams did with Vegas, no? They made deals where if you pick from X pool of players, we'll give you Y number of draft picks as compensation. Idk, I could be remembering it wrong.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
You need to have at least 2 forwards, a d-man, and a goalie exposed. Due to eligibility requirements (you can't just expose a Marty Marincin type that sporadically gets called up and plays a tiny handful of games even though he's been in your system forever) and the large number of ELC's and 1-year deals (especially now with the flat cap), a lot of teams are actually already operating very close to that line. Hell, we had to give Hutchinson a 2 year deal just to meet the goalie requirement, and I still think we have to re-sign one of our d-men before the expansion draft to have an eligible d-man (if we decide to protect 4).

Either way, I'd say multiple 1sts would go to the expansion team from you as penalties, as well as very heavy fines.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Even without any penalities, that would definitly not be a good strategy, because I am pretty sure every team has at least one player with RFA status (Which mean no NMC) that they would like to keep (Guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, MackKinnon, Pastrnak, Matthews, etc.) Plus the fact that giving NMC to every players with UFA status is not good

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto

It'd be a cool twist on the expansion draft if, instead of teams choosing to protect players, they automatically chose to give their next available first round pick to Seattle. Few teams would choose this option, so Seattle would still end up with many NHL-ready players, but you'd think there might be a contender or two that has a player on the bubble that they want to keep and elect to give up a 1st rounder instead to keep him.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
It'd be a cool twist on the expansion draft if, instead of teams choosing to protect players, they automatically chose to give their next available first round pick to Seattle. Few teams would choose this option, so Seattle would still end up with many NHL-ready players, but you'd think there might be a contender or two that has a player on the bubble that they want to keep and elect to give up a 1st rounder instead to keep him.
They do that via trades already for protection on exposed players

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They made the rules so every team would be able to be eligible for the Vegas one so I assume the penalties would be hefty if a team did that knowing Seattle was coming up and tried to circumvent the rules.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The expansion rules aren’t only about who you protect, there are rules about who is exposed. Teams have to meet that criteria as well so you be in violation and likely get some major penalties, draft picks taken away etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad