How would a redraft of the 2014 NHL entry draft look now?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If I were to redo the thing, my top 7 would be........

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Leon Draistaitl
3. William Nylander
4. Nikolaj Ehlers
5. Sam Reinhart
6. Dylan Larkin
7. Sam Bennet

And then who knows?

The PPG player at 20 isn't in your definite top 8? Yikes.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
all of that is on his team whos leading scorer has 58 points. this is not impressive AT ALL.
why not compare those numbers to the league, or you know, his draft class. something that we are actually discussing :laugh::laugh:

Does every 2014 draftee play under a coach who is literal cancer to even strength offense?

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Waaaay too early. I've even already seen redrafts of the 2016 draft. But what the heck, let's have some fun (not considering team needs and stuff). My top 15.

1.Ekblad
2.Draisaitl
3.Pastrnak
4.Nylander
5.Ehlers
6.Larkin
7.Reinhart
8.Fabbri
9.Honka
10.Dvorak
11.Bennett
12.Arvidsson
13.Ritchie
14.Schmaltz
15.Sorokin

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Waaaay too early. I've even already seen redrafts of the 2016 draft. But what the heck, let's have some fun (not considering team needs and stuff). My top 15.

1.Ekblad
2.Draisaitl
3.Pastrnak
4.Nylander
5.Ehlers
6.Larkin
7.Reinhart
8.Fabbri
9.Honka
10.Dvorak
11.Bennett
12.Arvidsson
13.Ritchie
14.Schmaltz
15.Sorokin

i would take Brayden Point over a few of those guys. Though I am wearing my homer glasses right now :D

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I'm seeing some poeple put Draisaitl and Pastrnak over Ekblad. At the draft, Ekblad was portrayed as the next Lidstrom. Has he really fallen off track that badly. Heck, even last year people were saying he was already a number 1 D.

I don't watch much of Florida

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Ehlers and Nylander would each move up a few spots for sure. Pastrnak and Fabbri would be the two that stick out to me that would be big risers. They both at this point should have been in the top 10 looking at that draft class.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
i would take Brayden Point over a few of those guys. Though I am wearing my homer glasses right now :D

No, you're right. I just missed him on the Wikipedia page and I don't know by heart who was drafted in the lower rounds.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm seeing some poeple put Draisaitl and Pastrnak over Ekblad. At the draft, Ekblad was portrayed as the next Lidstrom. Has he really fallen off track that badly. Heck, even last year people were saying he was already a number 1 D.

I don't watch much of Florida

His first two seasons he looked great, but this year he has fallen off a cliff in a big way. I think people are overreacting as I think a lot of it has to do with some injury issues/the whole Panthers team being underwhelming. I'd still have him as #2 but that has more to do with the emergence of Draisaitl.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
1. Nylander
2. Draisaitl
3. Pastrnak
4. Ehlers

Ekblad drops because of his concussion susceptibility - at this point it's pretty obvious he's probably not going to play a full career.

Draisaitl is overrated due to the McDavid effect. As a center without McDavid he is only ~1.8 points per 82 games ahead of Nylander's P/60 pace without Matthews, and that's with Nylander playing out of position and being a 1996 while Draisaitl is a 1995.

Draisaitl also gets 18% more ice time than Nylander. Multiply Nylander's production by 18% and adjust for the game in hand and he'd be within 3 points of Draisaitl this season, *not* playing with a generational talent.

See the poll section for more details on why Nylander is just as good if not better than Draisaitl.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Kapanen should be in the 10-15 range for sure and can see him moving into the 6-10 in future

I think that's a little bit crazy to say right now (even considering his great AHL season).

I think he would be in the similar spot that he was chosen in.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Ekblad
Draisaitl
Pasta
Ehlers
Nylander
Larkin
Bennett
Reinhart
Arvidsson
Fabbri
Ritchie
HoSang
rest pick out hat

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1. Nylander
2. Draisaitl
3. Pastrnak
4. Ehlers

Ekblad drops because of his concussion susceptibility - at this point it's pretty obvious he's probably not going to play a full career.

Draisaitl is overrated due to the McDavid effect. As a center without McDavid he is only ~1.8 points per 82 games ahead of Nylander's P/60 pace without Matthews, and that's with Nylander playing out of position and being a 1996 while Draisaitl is a 1995.

Draisaitl also gets 18% more ice time than Nylander. Multiply Nylander's production by 18% and adjust for the game in hand and he'd be within 3 points of Draisaitl this season, *not* playing with a generational talent.

See the poll section for more details on why Nylander is just as good if not better than Draisaitl.

A whole lot of "ifs" in this scenario. It's also not as simple "multiply his production by 18%" and that's how many points he has. 18 percent increase in ice time does NOT mean 18% increase in production and it's asinine to assume so. Also, Nylander is playing Winger, which is a much simpler position to play than C.

Finally, you omit Pastrnak who has a. 95 pts/g compared to. 77 for Nylander playing on a more defensively oriented team and has been playing since he was 18.

Finally, at age 20 you cannot say it's "obvious" Ekblad won't have a full career. Bergeron suffered some major concussions early and has been completely healthy since.

VERY Homeric post.

plgilbert

Apr 10, 2012
Quebec city
As of right now my top 15 would be:

1. Leon Draisaitl
2. David Patrnak
3. William Nylander
4. Aaron Ekblad
5. Nikolaj Ehlers
6. Sam Reinhart
7. Robby Fabbri
8. Dylan Larkin
9. Viktor Arvidsson
10. Sam Bennett
11. Christian Dvorak
12. Brayden Point
13. Nick Schmaltz
14. Josh Ho-Sang
15. Brendan Perlini
HM: Ritchie, DeAngelo, Fiala, Fleury, Kapanen

Of course, this could change a lot because it is still early to judge but as of right now this would be my top 15.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I think we can all agree that the 2014 top crop is better than what they got credit for predraft.

There has been more than a handfull impact players so far..

Ya, I'm in no way a "draft guy" or "prospects guru", but at one point wasn't the '14 draft considered well below average? At this point it has to be shaping up to be above average, doesn't it?

Based on this thread the consensus top 5, in alphabetical order, is...

Draisaitl
Ehlers
Ekblad
Nylander
Pastrnak

Like I said earlier, I'm no armchair scout, but that seems to be a pretty impressive list.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Drai
Ehlers/Nylander/Pasta
Ekblad
Arvidsson
Reinhart

Pretty happy my second favourite team got such a good player all the way at 25 tbh

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Draisaitl
Pastrnak
Nylander
Ehlers
Ekblad

Arvidsson
Reinhart
Larkin
Bennett
Fabbri
Ho-Sang

Haven't seen much of the guys around this level so take with a grain of salt:

Point
Montour
DeAngelo
Fleury
Ritchie

Dvorak
Fiala
Schmaltz
Honka
Sanheim
Vrana

Kapanen
Milano
Etc....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was a great draft. Draisaitl looks like the best of the best now that we are nearing the 3 year anniversary of this draft class.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Ya, I'm in no way a "draft guy" or "prospects guru", but at one point wasn't the '14 draft considered well below average? At this point it has to be shaping up to be above average, doesn't it?

Based on this thread the consensus top 5, in alphabetical order, is...

Draisaitl
Ehlers
Ekblad
Nylander
Pastrnak

Like I said earlier, I'm no armchair scout, but that seems to be a pretty impressive list.

You are right.

Its funny because people said the exact same thing about the 2011 draft, and I know the reason why: 2011 followed Taylor vs Tyler, and at the time Nail Yakupov was seen as a potential franchise guy, while with 2011, there was no undisputed no 1 prospect.

With 2014, it followed Mackinnon, Jones, Drouin and Barkov, and was going to be followed up by Eichel and Connor. Again, there was no undisputed no 1 guy.

At the end of the day though, both drafts had A LOT of depth.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Arvidsson has certainly turned out to be a good pick as an overager.

But there are 2 very under the radar gems from this draft that had sneaky good years.

Point who almost had a 20 goal year in TB when given the chance due to injuries and Dvorak who had very respectable numbers as a rookie on a bad offensive team. Watch their stock rise when things become more equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad