How will we know the rebuild is over?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
well to me there isnt a time frame...look at vancouver, no one can tell me they thought that van would have this record at the beginning of the, year...the lost both number 1 goalies kesler and many thought ok theyll suck for a cpl years or more...it all depends on what we do once the season is over, the draft is huge no explanation needed, then it dpends what we get for phaneuf kessel etc...if we wait too long for too high of a return nonis will be our gillis..

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
When our depth is perceived to be elite. Nothing else should be considered done. Competition from below when the team is top 10 in the league is the indicator. They need to stock and develops for three years with no desire to fast track.

I think this is the best answer on here, obtaining superstars is important, but surrounding them with depth is what separate the good from the great.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
well to me there isnt a time frame...look at vancouver, no one can tell me they thought that van would have this record at the beginning of the, year...the lost both number 1 goalies kesler and many thought ok theyll suck for a cpl years or more...it all depends on what we do once the season is over, the draft is huge no explanation needed, then it dpends what we get for phaneuf kessel etc...if we wait too long for too high of a return nonis will be our gillis..

I kind of thought they done a good job in the off season actually. That wad some tidy work they managed there. I thought they done the best job of all teams really.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
A rebuild is never done.

A team is consistently drafting players, signing players and trading players year after year even after they win Stanley Cups.

The goal is to be perpetually Cup competitive.

Cup competitive? Wuss. The goal is to win the Cup every year.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's too bad there is a lottery system.

If you simply had 1/30 odds no matter where you finished, we could rid ourselves of this "tanking" garbage.

Teams would risk losing fans if they didn't get their stuff together.

We'd be looking at next season differently too. No one would expect playoffs but no cheering for loses either. You could promote hungry players that could contribute to a decent season instead of arranging it (or doing nothing) so you have better odds to lose.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
I don't know that a rebuild is ever "done", per se, but when this team becomes a playoff team (not the kind that barely squeaks in, but a strong playoff team that has the ability to make it past the first round) for more than 2 years in a row, and shows continued improvement for several years (so no "one hit wonder" type seasons), then this team can start truly shift from a "rebuild" mentality to "what do we have to do to win in the next few years", while still drafting well and developing prospects, like Chicago is doing and NOT like Pittsburgh has done - and I say this as someone who follows both of those teams.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When the team consistently finishes top 15.

Because at that point your young guys are good and the draft pickings get slim(Gauthier @ 17). With today's scouting stars don't fall to far.This rebuild will end at the 2016 draft.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
When we've been consistently winning for a few seasons and have one, or two or three, of our core guys go down with an injury and our farm system is able to adequately hold the fort.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Probably when we experience the New York Islanders season this year.

They seem like they are pulling out of it and are ready to compete.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It's too bad there is a lottery system.

If you simply had 1/30 odds no matter where you finished, we could rid ourselves of this "tanking" garbage.

Teams would risk losing fans if they didn't get their stuff together.

We'd be looking at next season differently too. No one would expect playoffs but no cheering for loses either. You could promote hungry players that could contribute to a decent season instead of arranging it (or doing nothing) so you have better odds to lose.

I totally agree.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Probably when we experience the New York Islanders season this year.

They seem like they are pulling out of it and are ready to compete.

They could just as easily fall out of contention next season. We've seen this before with Colorado and Columbus. Islanders could just as easily stumble next year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They could just as easily fall out of contention next season. We've seen this before with Colorado and Columbus. Islanders could just as easily stumble next year.

Columbus lost 500 man games this season. that isn't fair.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Because at that point your young guys are good and the draft pickings get slim(Gauthier @ 17). With today's scouting stars don't fall to far.This rebuild will end at the 2016 draft.

We all should hope not. A rebuild should take from the start no less than 10 years. Which is from bottomed out 3 or 4 years. Draft picks becoming ahl and NHL ready years 4,5 and six. Depth coming together years 6 and 7. Serious contenders 7,8,9 and 10 for a cup. Maybe 11 years depending on progress to achieve a cup.

If you haven't succeeded in that time frame. You do it all over again depending on the circumstances. If you win a cup you still follow the process and never,never be against the cap.

2016 our picks won't even be partially developed. Whoever came up with the five year model earlier on was based on no cap. I don't think you can apply it in the cap era. One cup every ten years and anything else would be bonus really. I firmly believe you win it or scrap it every ten. You scrap it for cap benefit also.

More patience is going to be needed that 2016. Lots more.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We all should hope not. A rebuild should take from the start no less than 10 years. Which is from bottomed out 3 or 4 years. Draft picks becoming ahl and NHL ready years 4,5 and six. Depth coming together years 6 and 7. Serious contenders 7,8,9 and 10 for a cup. Maybe 11 years depending on progress to achieve a cup.

If you haven't succeeded in that time frame. You do it all over again depending on the circumstances. If you win a cup you still follow the process and never,never be against the cap.

2016 our picks won't even be partially developed. Whoever came up with the five year model earlier on was based on no cap. I don't think you can apply it in the cap era. One cup every ten years and anything else would be bonus really. I firmly believe you win it or scrap it every ten. You scrap it for cap benefit also.

More patience is going to be needed that 2016. Lots more.

I tend to agree although I think it's important to realize the Leafs already have some good young players in the system and on the roster - Rielly and Nylander for example. Therefore while the Leafs technically weren't "rebuilding" at that time, those good young players (along with some others in the system) will be able to help the club sooner rather than later.

The key thing will be to hit it big with a prospect in this draft and next (where the Leafs will likely be a bottom 7 team again). A couple more blue chip prospects could help turn this team around and the Leafs could be in the playoff mix in 5 years - not necessarily a cup contender, but a team that's ready to take the next step into one.

Another key aspect is to continue to get as many picks as possible so that they can hopefully get a gem out of the rough. Tampa Bay, for example, would be a team to model this after.

I think we'll know when this rebuild is over when we see a couple of quality seasons in a row that see the Leafs in the playoffs, being primarily led by some of the young players on the team who are taking their game to the next level.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I tend to agree although I think it's important to realize the Leafs already have some good young players in the system and on the roster - Rielly and Nylander for example. Therefore while the Leafs technically weren't "rebuilding" at that time, those good young players (along with some others in the system) will be able to help the club sooner rather than later.

The key thing will be to hit it big with a prospect in this draft and next (where the Leafs will likely be a bottom 7 team again). A couple more blue chip prospects could help turn this team around and the Leafs could be in the playoff mix in 5 years - not necessarily a cup contender, but a team that's ready to take the next step into one.

Another key aspect is to continue to get as many picks as possible so that they can hopefully get a gem out of the rough. Tampa Bay, for example, would be a team to model this after.

I think we'll know when this rebuild is over when we see a couple of quality seasons in a row that see the Leafs in the playoffs, being primarily led by some of the young players on the team who are taking their game to the next level.

There is definitely the technicalities that go along with building o et the long haul that can be advantageous in various ways with regards to timeframe to build. Blind luck included. The process has to include build extreme depth and a determined path of development that is never rushed. Cap space availability has to be implemented into every season I believe in order to reap a advantageous position with regard to options at deadlines.

Every possible advantage is going to be available with patience,development, and most importantly a dedicated identity of the way the team is going to play,excluding rule changes in the league. There is need to decide style of play and I believe there is definitely a need to draft with a eye on insulating skill players with toughness beside them. Big wingers with skill,speed,determination and net presence.

The Rangers have two defensemen in the top fifty in scoring for example. Yandle just got there by trade but there own guy sits at 45 in scoring by defensemen. They got Yandle because they decided they needed a power play quarterback. Rightfully so. They were very successful without it though and they are taking their run this year. That's the technical stuff that is mostly unforeseen.

You have to have cap space options for them reasons. Its so technical that its to much for one post.

Team style of play,draft,development and manage the cap properly is a great foundation I believe.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Disagree that the rebuild is never done . . . good drafting and scouting and REPLENISHING is never done . . . turnover is never done . . . but specifically rebuilding by blowing up the core pieces of a roster, and making them into a cup contender, definitely has an end point.

For me, it's when every TSN/ESPN hockey insider calls Toronto a cup contender, even as a dark horse. That will be the end of the rebuild.

Then we move to sustaining mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad