How will The Oilers handle the Darnell Nurse contract? Buy -Out? Trade? Keep him?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The Oilers are sitting at 9th in the NHL in goals against per game (2.86 goals against/game). That’s a lower figure than Dallas, Las Vegas, and Colorado. They aren’t doing it with a Vezina calibre goaltender, and they also have gotten to that point after a disastrous first two months that saw them sink to 30th place. So trolls can go on and on about how terrible Bouchard is defensively and how they wouldn’t take Nurse at 50% retention but where it counts, on the scoreboard, they get the job done more often than not.
It is funny when you look at the constant talk of how horrible they are defensively and subpar they are in net.

But the explanation for this is simply McDavid. The explanation for everything Oilers is McDavid. On and off the ice. McDavid.

I'm starting to think McDavid is the sole reason the west was won. Actually can we get the stats on that?

Reactions: Summer Rose

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Honestly depends on the team. Vancouver wouldn't. Tocchet would put him in the dog house immediately.
Highly, highly unlikely.

VAN is considering re-signing Zadorov to be their 3LD at close to a $5M AAV. Nurse is a superior player, and in this hypothetical situation he would be under $5M. I'd make that swap 10/10 times. Nurse would absolutely demolish softer minutes.

Reactions: nturn06

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He's overpaid, not a complete trainwreck, though it's not great when you're supposed to be an offensive defenseman and you and Ceci are leading the league in off-ice expected goals %.

They can't afford to move him and his NMC makes it very difficult to. They'll find a way to make him work and life will never be perfect, but okay.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
It's honestly pretty tough to win without good cap allocation if you look at the past decade of cup winners. A lot of them benefit from LTIR or getting absolute steals and having players have career seasons at the perfect time. Having a guy like Nurse get paid that much money definitely hurts the Oilers. He's a guy who should be making around 6.5 mil in my opinion. Maybe the Oilers get lucky and McDavid/Draisaitl drag them to a cup final and match up against an injured team from the east. But their best bet IMO (and I say this with no malice) is for Nurse to be put on LTIR midway through the season, acquire another Ekholm calibre d-man and pray like hell Skinner is at the top of his game and that Nurse is ready to go before the semi finals. Barring something like that, his and Campbell's contracts are pretty bad for Edmonton. The thing with Nurse is he could probably be a decent 2 or 3, but he's not dynamic enough to be their #1 for that much money with the depth the Oilers have on D.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not much can be done but hope for the best. It was a turd of a contract when it was given. Looks even worse now somehow.

Nurse can do plenty of good things. The main problem I see with him is his ability to go completely braindead in his own zone at inopportune times. Seems like he would benefit from a great defensive mind to work with him on his decision making.

Still hard to believe the GM gave him that much money and term.

Its buyout proof too.

Wouldn't be worth it for the Oilers to buy him out until 2030, when it expires.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Edmonton Oilers are a top 10 team in goals allowed with a shallow forward core, a horrible defense and shit goaltending and McDavid and Draisaitl are bad defensively.
I am so confused.
Derek Ryan is very underrated!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad