How will the Bruins fix the speed and toughness issue this weekend?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
LUCIC --------OUT
HAMILTON---OUT
BOYCHUK---OUT (never replaced)
THORNTON--OUT (never replaced)

This team is getting soft(er) and tiny ---currently have the softest (and likely smallest) NHL forward line-up in hockey.

Marchand--Bergeron--Smith
xxx---Krejci--Pasta
xxx--Spooner--Conolly
xxx--Talbot--xxx

Wow.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Apparantly by trading away their best young player, their toughest player and drafting obscure second rounders in the first round.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
LUCIC --------OUT
HAMILTON---OUT

This team is getting soft(er) and tiny ---currently have the softest (and likely smallest) NHL forward line-up in hockey.

xxx---Krejci--Pasta
xxx--Spooner--Conolly
xxx--Talbot--xxx

Wow.

Soft, small, but not even fast or skilled.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

No idea specifically, but I know one thing: I'm hoping a splash is made. A serious one.

Team is long overdue for a significant move. And even if they draft SMART and get a couple of nice players while standing pat, I'm likely going to walk away feeling pretty disappointed.

Again I don't know what specifically. And I know I'm being unfair. If it's not the right time to make some noise, I should probably accept that. But I know I won't.

That's not what I meant.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The people that were saying 'Lucic doesn't hit anymore, he's lost it' are probably the same ones saying that we're now way softer without him :laugh:

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
LUCIC --------OUT
HAMILTON---OUT

xxx---Krejci--Pasta
xxx--Spooner--Conolly
xxx--Talbot--xxx

Wow.

Rivalry with the Habs just took a matchet to the head yesterday. I thought Hamilton was coming your new "Chara" a young monster at the blue line; Lucic was the one i 'hated' the most on your team.

I hope Sweeney keeps Marchand, he's the only one that I still 'hate'.

Its sad and I feel sorry for you. But maybe Sweeney has something else better in the making (maybe he knows hes signing Williams?) maybe Jones will be used to attract a young forward?

But as of right now Sweeney killed the 'Big Bad Bruins'. Its more like the 90's smurfs Habs. :/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
LUCIC --------OUT
HAMILTON---OUT

xxx---Krejci--Pasta
xxx--Spooner--Conolly
xxx--Talbot--xxx

Wow.

Lucic- haven`t seen him play with consistent snarl/toughness in a long time
Hamilton- hardly tough
JB- no arguement there, tough as nails, plays hard all the time on the body
Thorty- sure, knuckles tough, slow as mud and could never catch anyone to make significant contact

Toughness comes in many forms, while I won`t argue this team lacks some toughness, some of the players you mentioned weren`t/aren`t/haven`t shown that toughness either

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Q: How will the Bruins fix speed and toughness?

A: Build a freakin time machine.

Would we set it to the past or to the future?

Zboril brings toughness
Senyshyn brings speed and a physical game
Colin miller brings speed and toughness
Iafrate has an edge
Hickman has an edge
Randall brings toughness
Acciari I brings speed and a physical edge
Blitdh brings speed and a physical edge
Hargrove brings toughness

They know they need to get younger (cheaper) talent that is fast and physical, but they also need wingers who can score. Sweeney's moves look more like house cleaning that recognizes the situation.

Feels a lot like the year they moved on from Thornton Raycroft and Boynton.

Last edited:

Iceman12

Nov 22, 2014
Thank God they signed Quaider as he was the only Bruin who played with snarl last year. Maybe with Kevin Miller's shoulder healed (I assume) he'll play like he did two years ago again and help in the toughness department.

I know people always equate Lucic with toughness but he has been less and less involved the last few years and completely bottomed out last year, showed no interest or desire to play with the grit and snarl he did in his first few years here. I know he had a fair amount of hits last year but the nastiness was gone and with or without him, our forward lines are a joke in regards to toughness right now. Not only is this team going to be bad going forward but soft as well. How pathetic is this right now?

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
This kid and Kolesar are the two I would look to in the third or fourth round. Gabrielle can fight and has decent speed and hands.

Both would be at least two years away minimum, to fix this years team and eliminate last years pansy brigade I would grab Downie, who should still come pretty cheap, put him on the third line. Resign McQuaid and Randell to the fourth. Trade Smith or Eriksson, losing one or both should make team tougher by default.

If they lose McQuaid make an offer for Dalton Prout. See what Chris Stewart would cost, if it is reasonable sign him.

Lucic, McQuaid, Randell and Downie make them much tougher to play against. If you lose McQuiad and trade Lucic you need to add a tough defenseman (this would include fighting and hitting, not just shot blocking) and a big forward that hits.

It wont be easy but adding toughness should be doable. Speed that is talented will be more difficult. Speed just for speeds sake accomplished nothing.

I thought Downie showed he can pass the puck during the 2011 ECF, but he seems to have trended down since ... seems to gravitate toward a lot of jawing with the refs (which means they're on him). Not sure his date has expired, but in theory I have expected the Bruins to go in the direction you lean. I understand Sweeney's loyalty to his projects from Providence, but not to Loui and certainly not to Smith. Eriksson deserves a trophy for the punishment he endured to get to the net most consistently of any Bruin including Lucic and Soderberg, but they announced the need to restore "aggression" and Loui unfortunately brings zero of that.

Now that Friday is over, quick fixes seem like a long shot because it's a LW in addition to a makeover to Chiarelli's RW makeover that's also needed.

I had this idea in my head that Hakstol and Hextall would come calling on McIntyre and, given the glut that just got gluttier with Jones backing up Rask, the Bruins might be able to grow it into a biggy that yields Simmons and Rinaldo (sending Loui and Reilly to Philly). Both teams sacrifice, both get something they really need ... voila ... hockey trade. That was my scenario.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Would we set it to the past or to the future?

Zboril brings toughness
Senyshyn brings speed and a physical game
Colin miller brings speed and toughness
Iafrate has an edge
Hickman has an edge
Randall brings toughness
Acciari I brings speed and a physical edge
Blitdh brings speed and a physical edge
Hargrove brings toughness

They know they need to get younger (cheaper) talent that is fast and physical, but they also need wingers who can score. Sweeney's moves look more like house cleaning that recognizes the situation.

Feels a lot like the year they moved on from Thornton Raycroft and Boynton.
When i fix something i do not use unknown products.

This was a complete disaster.

You don't rebuild by trading a 21 year old 6'5 RH Dman with #1 upside.

i am not mad because they made a bad trade. i am mad because they have not learned from their past mistake.

Seguin, Boychuk, Hamilton

The Bruins have not only shut their "window" but have boarded it up.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
It has been bugging me for years that we have no legit bruising prospects patrolling the blueline and I think that is an area for us to address at this draft. Drafting a few kids that can crush/pressure opposing Dmen with a heavy forecheck would also be great.

It has been made clear –and rightly so—that Neely/Sweeney will be adding some toughness to this team this summer but every hour McQuaid gets closer to signing elsewhere and Lucic is rumoured to be on the block...

This team was already butter soft last year and losing Lucic and McQuaid would make us the softest team in the league by some distance so obviously there are some guys out there already that Sweeney has to have his eyes on.

Lets Look At the Draft First:
Lawson Crouse: Not as nasty as Tom Wilson but same type of hitter. Unlikely to drop to 14 but could play next year if needed.

Meier: Thick kid that can take a hit and work the boards, don’t think he makes to us either but could also play.

Zboril or Bittner: One has snarl, the other has size –both will be there at 14 but neither will be ready for the Bruins next year.

Brandon Carlo: Huge wingspan and upside –would be great value in the 2nd but likely won’t be there and needs years to put on weight. Austin Strand (6’4 shutdown kid from the Rebels) would be great to grab later in the draft if you don’t get Carlo where you want him.

BTW: Anybody that bring us Trotman because of his size is delusional –my opinion only of course-- but he is way too soft and I don’t think he is/will be a full time NHLer.

But these guys are a long ways away (and, obviously, not even in our system) so what are the fixes here to bring in some size, snarl and speed for 2015/16?

Great draft for picking up some tough kids that can play the game. We will have a tough, mobile D in a few years down the road and Gabrielle should be a player too down the road.

As for the big club, out goes Lucic and in comes Rinaldo. Lucic, obviously, is much bigger and better but Rinaldo is a great energy 4th liner that might be the best open-ice hitting forward in the league alongside Tom Wilson.

People are livid with Sweeney right now for all sorts of reasons, but when Rinaldo is blowing up PK Subban and Emelin cutting across the middle then opinions will change on him in a hurry.

If you can disconnect the player from the draft pick and other trades this weekend then you can appreciate him for what he is. Teams don't attack as fast and reckless when he is on the ice and he draws penalties too (he doesn't just take them, surprise to some.... I know!).

Anyway, we added some real legit, sandpaper D prospects (with skill)
and I think we will be very happy with a few of them down the road.

Our 4th line was the softest in the league by a fair margin and I think adding one of the best hitters in hockey is a good start.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Great draft for picking up some tough kids that can play the game. We will have a tough, mobile D in a few years down the road and Gabrielle should be a player too down the road.

As for the big club, out goes Lucic and in comes Rinaldo. Lucic, obviously, is much bigger and better but Rinaldo is a great energy 4th liner that might be the best open-ice hitting forward in the league alongside Tom Wilson.

People are livid with Sweeney right now for all sorts of reasons, but when Rinaldo is blowing up PK Subban and Emelin cutting across the middle then opinions will change on him in a hurry.

If you can disconnect the player from the draft pick and other trades this weekend then you can appreciate him for what he is. Teams don't attack as fast and reckless when he is on the ice and he draws penalties too (he doesn't just take them, surprise to some.... I know!).

Our 4th line was the softest in the league by a fair margin and I think adding one of the best hitters in hockey is a good start.
Kind of wish they kept Lucic if they were going to keep placing such an emphasis on toughness. Would he have been overpaid? Yeah, but I think he's such a big part of the team's identity that it's worth it to overpay him. I don't think it's a coincidence that one of Lucic's worst, most listless years was with one of our softest teams, either. You put another power forward like Horton or Iginla on his line, have an enforcer like Thornton around, etc. and you get a more physical brand of hockey and a more engaged Lucic. I think it's going to be real tough to replace that skill set, it's just so unique. I was good with trading Lucic, but kind of thought we'd start to look for more of a speed and skill style of roster once we did (like drafting Barzal, Connor would've accomplished). Now that it's clear toughness is a still a big part of Sweeney and Neely's thinking, I'm having regrets about dealing Lucic, even if he would've been a bit overpaid.

I definitely don't have an issue with the Rinaldo trade like some do. Is it a little steep? Sure, but nothing worth freaking out over considering the very high odds that 3rd rounders bust, and it's a player with a style that this team could badly use. Still want a legit enforcer that dresses at the very least, in certain matchups.

I'm all for freaking out over stupid and damaging moves as you'd see in my reaction to the Hamilton trade, but trading a 3rd rounder 2 years from now definitely does NOT qualify.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
well they for sure addressed speed and toughness for the future

toughness/edge-
Zboril
Carlo
Lauzon
Gabrielle

Senyshyn - speed

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Still more to come I think. Need a top 4 defender that can plan physical still. I think we'll see some more action tomorrow after free agency starts.

I like the Rinaldo addition; just the type of player we needed on the fourth line last year. And I actually thought the return for Lucic wasn't too bad. The Hamilton trade not so much; but the Hamilton camp and Chiarelli really tied our hands on that one. If a 22 year old defenseman is known to want about 6 or 7 million per, it limits his trade market. Time will tell on that one; maybe two of those guys hit big and Hamilton doesn't progress as much as we'd think.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

kinda more worried that Rinaldo is going to get Pasternak beat up instead.....

either way, I always thought Rinaldo was a p.o.s. asnd still do.

as long as he doesn't throw cheap shots and 'intent to injure' checks I can appreciate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad