How will the Bruins fix the speed and toughness issue this weekend?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
It has been bugging me for years that we have no legit bruising prospects patrolling the blueline and I think that is an area for us to address at this draft. Drafting a few kids that can crush/pressure opposing Dmen with a heavy forecheck would also be great.

It has been made clear –and rightly so—that Neely/Sweeney will be adding some toughness to this team this summer but every hour McQuaid gets closer to signing elsewhere and Lucic is rumoured to be on the block...

This team was already butter soft last year and losing Lucic and McQuaid would make us the softest team in the league by some distance so obviously there are some guys out there already that Sweeney has to have his eyes on.

Lets Look At the Draft First:
Lawson Crouse: Not as nasty as Tom Wilson but same type of hitter. Unlikely to drop to 14 but could play next year if needed.

Meier: Thick kid that can take a hit and work the boards, don’t think he makes to us either but could also play.

Zboril or Bittner: One has snarl, the other has size –both will be there at 14 but neither will be ready for the Bruins next year.

Brandon Carlo: Huge wingspan and upside –would be great value in the 2nd but likely won’t be there and needs years to put on weight. Austin Strand (6’4 shutdown kid from the Rebels) would be great to grab later in the draft if you don’t get Carlo where you want him.

Christian Fischer: Gritty winger who will be a pain to play against when he is done filling out.

----Lets go to the big, tough dudes---

Keegan Kolesar: We are talking about a grown ass manchild here (6’2 -220). Would beat Crouse --if he ever caught him. Skating is a major concern (but that is always the one thing that you CAN work on with any prospect… to varying extents). He plays with his heart on his sleeve and would be a late first rounder if he could skate… worth taking a flyer on IMO. If he plays full time with Barzal next year I would expect him to jump well over a PPG and become a dominant PF in the dub which would obviously be great for his development.

Sam Ruopp: From a size/toughness standpoint, we are looking at a McQuaid/Prout combo here. There are not any skating red flags here and he say a healthy jump in production this year while also having the bonus of being a Right shooting Dman. Maybe toughest kid in the draft; getting him would be similar to getting McIlrath a few years ago–just without using a high 1st rounder on him! *McIlrath was way tougher in his draft year but I see Ruopp putting on some weight and being a late bloomer tough-guy like Ruopp.

Gabriel Slight:
6’2 -220 winger… I don’t know anything about him really (QMJHL). Supposed to be tough –any insights?

Andrew Nielsen:
Majorly biased towards this guy (played for my Hurricanes this year) so I’ll leave my opinion at the door on this one buut 6’3 -210 (and growing) and likes the gym. He is the kind of horse you want to go up against the Habs in a 7 game series and would straight up murder Gallagher.

Imama: QMJHL guy –I’m blind here. Anyone? Anyone??

Thomas Foster: I have 2 buds that watch the Giants all the time (one involved with organization) 1 likes him lots, the other doesn’t see too much there. Only 180 but can hold his own and will likely play around 205. Kind of like a tougher, less agitating Andrew Shaw.

I think we need to grab one (or more) of these big WHL beast Dmen later on and develop them as projects (like McQuaid) with a couple more years in the CHL, a few in the AHL and then bring up as a 6/7 if they pan out. Kolesar is worth a gamble too –plays like Lucic with a more consistent motor (but even heavier boots) so he could pay off big time.

BTW: Anybody that bring us Trotman because of his size is delusional –my opinion only of course-- but he is way too soft and I don’t think he is/will be a full time NHLer.

But these guys are a long ways away (and, obviously, not even in our system) so what are the fixes here to bring in some size, snarl and speed for 2015/16?

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chiarelli spent all of last season allegedly looking to add the toughness HE removed from the roster.

Obviously easier said than done.

Feels odd saying this after years of other teams modeling after us, but I think Calgary of all teams is the way to go.

Sure, TB has that elite offense and Hedman. .. but I personally am entertained by rough stuff too and Calgary looks like, based on that Vancouver series, the perfect combination of skill, youth, and toughness.

That Ferland kid is EXACTLY what our 4th line needs.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I'd love to see Sweeney gamble on a few players that might be available.

Example: J.Skinner, R.Nash or C.Coyle

IMO, unload guys that you might move like Lucic or Eriksson, along with Seidenberg and dangle that 1st rounder with one of them.

Would something like Skinner and a pick/player for Eriksson and our 1st work?

Lucic + Seidenberg and something for Klein and Nash?

This would allow Boston to acquire a more pure goal scorer.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'd love to see Sweeney gamble on a few players that might be available.

Example: J.Skinner, R.Nash or C.Coyle

IMO, unload guys that you might move like Lucic or Eriksson, along with Seidenberg and dangle that 1st rounder with one of them.

Would something like Skinner and a pick/player for Eriksson and our 1st work?

Lucic + Seidenberg and something for Klein and Nash?

This would allow Boston to acquire a more pure goal scorer.

Skinner could be great but he has too extensive of a history with injuries/concussions for my liking.

Also, this doesn't address any sort of toughness issues and you deal away our 1st rounder!

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Chiarelli spent all of last season allegedly looking to add the toughness HE removed from the roster.

Obviously easier said than done.

Feels odd saying this after years of other teams modeling after us, but I think Calgary of all teams is the way to go.

Sure, TB has that elite offense and Hedman. .. but I personally am entertained by rough stuff too and Calgary looks like, based on that Vancouver series, the perfect combination of skill, youth, and toughness.

That Ferland kid is EXACTLY what our 4th line needs.

Agree 100% with every point you make here.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Skinner could be great but he has too extensive of a history with injuries/concussions for my liking.

Also, this doesn't address any sort of toughness issues and you deal away our 1st rounder!

IMO you can fill toughness on the lower lines by getting those grinders that are pests.

Example: Andrew Shaw type guys. Plays tough, is dirty and does a lot of the dirty work.

While the team played soft last year if you go out and bring in someone that addresses our top lines will be able to find those others holes much easier.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Steve Downie would be a solid UFA signing depending on price. Definitely a step in the right direction there. Meier would be a safe pick and I highly doubt Carlo drops to 37. Hopefully Randell makes the roster full time. We need to get tougher, and it'd be a real shame losing both McQuaid and Lucic. I can't see any scenario where the Bruins can go into this year softer than last. Especially on how Neely and Sweeney were talking.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

No idea specifically, but I know one thing: I'm hoping a splash is made. A serious one.

Team is long overdue for a significant move. And even if they draft SMART and get a couple of nice players while standing pat, I'm likely going to walk away feeling pretty disappointed.

Again I don't know what specifically. And I know I'm being unfair. If it's not the right time to make some noise, I should probably accept that. But I know I won't.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Whichever kids out of meier/konecny/crouse is left all have wheels, Meier to my eye has wicked wheels, as does Konecny. I don't think drafting speed will be an option, Meier has both speed/size and hits, and oozes skill, more of a play maker than a goal scorer. He dish's some sexy passes

Still hoping Boston makes a last ditch effort to grab #3 from Arizona as unlikely as it is, and drafts Marner.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't think that speed or toughness was what was lacking,just a shortage of talent.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It has been bugging me for years that we have no legit bruising prospects patrolling the blueline and I think that is an area for us to address at this draft. Drafting a few kids that can crush/pressure opposing Dmen with a heavy forecheck would also be great.

It has been made clear –and rightly so—that Neely/Sweeney will be adding some toughness to this team this summer but every hour McQuaid gets closer to signing elsewhere and Lucic is rumoured to be on the block...

This team was already butter soft last year and losing Lucic and McQuaid would make us the softest team in the league by some distance so obviously there are some guys out there already that Sweeney has to have his eyes on.

Lets Look At the Draft First:
Lawson Crouse: Not as nasty as Tom Wilson but same type of hitter. Unlikely to drop to 14 but could play next year if needed.

Meier: Thick kid that can take a hit and work the boards, don’t think he makes to us either but could also play.

Zboril or Bittner: One has snarl, the other has size –both will be there at 14 but neither will be ready for the Bruins next year.

Brandon Carlo: Huge wingspan and upside –would be great value in the 2nd but likely won’t be there and needs years to put on weight. Austin Strand (6’4 shutdown kid from the Rebels) would be great to grab later in the draft if you don’t get Carlo where you want him.

Christian Fischer: Gritty winger who will be a pain to play against when he is done filling out.

----Lets go to the big, tough dudes---

Keegan Kolesar: We are talking about a grown ass manchild here (6’2 -220). Would beat Crouse --if he ever caught him. Skating is a major concern (but that is always the one thing that you CAN work on with any prospect… to varying extents). He plays with his heart on his sleeve and would be a late first rounder if he could skate… worth taking a flyer on IMO. If he plays full time with Barzal next year I would expect him to jump well over a PPG and become a dominant PF in the dub which would obviously be great for his development.

Sam Ruopp: From a size/toughness standpoint, we are looking at a McQuaid/Prout combo here. There are not any skating red flags here and he say a healthy jump in production this year while also having the bonus of being a Right shooting Dman. Maybe toughest kid in the draft; getting him would be similar to getting McIlrath a few years ago–just without using a high 1st rounder on him! *McIlrath was way tougher in his draft year but I see Ruopp putting on some weight and being a late bloomer tough-guy like Ruopp.

Gabriel Slight:
6’2 -220 winger… I don’t know anything about him really (QMJHL). Supposed to be tough –any insights?

Andrew Nielsen:
Majorly biased towards this guy (played for my Hurricanes this year) so I’ll leave my opinion at the door on this one buut 6’3 -210 (and growing) and likes the gym. He is the kind of horse you want to go up against the Habs in a 7 game series and would straight up murder Gallagher.

Imama: QMJHL guy –I’m blind here. Anyone? Anyone??

Thomas Foster: I have 2 buds that watch the Giants all the time (one involved with organization) 1 likes him lots, the other doesn’t see too much there. Only 180 but can hold his own and will likely play around 205. Kind of like a tougher, less agitating Andrew Shaw.

I think we need to grab one (or more) of these big WHL beast Dmen later on and develop them as projects (like McQuaid) with a couple more years in the CHL, a few in the AHL and then bring up as a 6/7 if they pan out. Kolesar is worth a gamble too –plays like Lucic with a more consistent motor (but even heavier boots) so he could pay off big time.

BTW: Anybody that bring us Trotman because of his size is delusional –my opinion only of course-- but he is way too soft and I don’t think he is/will be a full time NHLer.

But these guys are a long ways away (and, obviously, not even in our system) so what are the fixes here to bring in some size, snarl and speed for 2015/16?

Very amateur/inexperienced scouting report on some of the guys you mentioned from the Q that I have seen

Slight- decent hands, can definitely play a bit, showed tendencies to spot pick his scraps when playing the Mooseheads but plays a tough game, a bit undisciplined

Imama- tough but I`d be shocked if he finds a place in this NHL, absolutely undisciplined, earlier this season was involved in an incident where he hit a ref/linesman a bunch of times. Again, I love tough, but this NHL seems to be swaying from the goon stuff and I don`t see this kid having anywhere near the skill nor discipline to make it

Like I said, I`m hardly a qualified scout but when I hit the games, I always grab a program, see which kids are draft eligible, try to envision whether they have "it". Been wrong plenty but of the two above I opined on, only Slight has the chance IMO, and even then he`ll need to make vast improvements but the kid has one thing on his side, he is a workhorse, takes no shifts off, just not sure if he`ll have the talent to be able to play with the big boys

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Jesse Gabrielle in the 3rd or 4th round

This kid and Kolesar are the two I would look to in the third or fourth round. Gabrielle can fight and has decent speed and hands.

Both would be at least two years away minimum, to fix this years team and eliminate last years pansy brigade I would grab Downie, who should still come pretty cheap, put him on the third line. Resign McQuaid and Randell to the fourth. Trade Smith or Eriksson, losing one or both should make team tougher by default.

If they lose McQuaid make an offer for Dalton Prout. See what Chris Stewart would cost, if it is reasonable sign him.

Lucic, McQuaid, Randell and Downie make them much tougher to play against. If you lose McQuiad and trade Lucic you need to add a tough defenseman (this would include fighting and hitting, not just shot blocking) and a big forward that hits.

It wont be easy but adding toughness should be doable. Speed that is talented will be more difficult. Speed just for speeds sake accomplished nothing.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I posted something on the trade board acquiring the two Schenn's, MDZ, and Rinaldo for Hamilton & Smith. The value is obviously off; but the point of the trade is exactly the point of this thread. (Again, I know the value is off, no point beating that dead horse).

We need 4 or 5 more guys in the lineup that are going to hit; and hit often. I don't care so much about fighting, but I want some guys that are going to be looking to hit you every chance they get.

One guy I'd like to see Boston take a run at in free agency is Jordin Tootoo; should come in cheap (maybe give him 2 years at 900K)? He'd be a perfect energy guy for the bottom line.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Hopefully with a lot of luck and self realization of where they are right now. The draft can be absolutely incredible or a complete bust so I'm not relying too much on that. I'd like to see the Bruins make a decision this off-season on which direction to go because sitting in the middle right now is the most frustrating place to be.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

No idea specifically, but I know one thing: I'm hoping a splash is made. A serious one.

Team is long overdue for a significant move. And even if they draft SMART and get a couple of nice players while standing pat, I'm likely going to walk away feeling pretty disappointed.

Again I don't know what specifically. And I know I'm being unfair. If it's not the right time to make some noise, I should probably accept that. But I know I won't.

I agree. They need a drastic change of direction. Small moves isn't going to change their way. They need speed and toughness. They have assets that other team want. I'm up to sacrificing next year for a change. Look at Ottawa, they rebuilt pretty quickly and now are a good team.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

They will lose McQuaid and Lucic but keep soft players and be bullied and slow.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They will lose McQuaid and Lucic but keep soft players and be bullied and slow.

Who knows. One thing is for sure. This is the time for them to get rid of bad contracts. And I mean every player. If I was Sweeney, I'd tell the whole league everyone is in play.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fischer and Kolesar are on my list as later round options I like.

Fischer is not a fighter and will go to school (ND) but Kolesar is tough. Problem is no way I take him at 37 he's a 50+ guy

Me? I hope to resign McQuaid and Randall can skate well enough to make team

Prospects ? Zboril is tough, Meloche is tough - that is potentially 2 top 4 D procured at #14 & # 37

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I posted something on the trade board acquiring the two Schenn's, MDZ, and Rinaldo for Hamilton & Smith. The value is obviously off; but the point of the trade is exactly the point of this thread. (Again, I know the value is off, no point beating that dead horse).

We need 4 or 5 more guys in the lineup that are going to hit; and hit often. I don't care so much about fighting, but I want some guys that are going to be looking to hit you every chance they get.

One guy I'd like to see Boston take a run at in free agency is Jordin Tootoo; should come in cheap (maybe give him 2 years at 900K)? He'd be a perfect energy guy for the bottom line.

Tootoo always played tough against the Bz and if he could be had that cheaply why not???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad