How will history tell this story?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
How can people say it started with Eakins? He has been here 2 years and wasn't even here for the 3x 1st overalls.

I know, the Oilers were bad along before Eakins arrived. Heck, even the lockout shortened season Oilers were starting to crash hard at the end of the season. Who knows how bad that season would have been.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
This will be looked at in the same regard as the Ballard years in Toronto and the Wirtz years in Chicago.

lol. no no. it will be the new pinnacle. our grand children will use lowe references to refer to bad teams, what we are doing here is legendary, the opposite of what you would see in a motion picture.

Its as if suck and kevin lowe were destined to kiss. Hold each other gently, and be together forever. A truly heart warming story.

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014
Oilers Organization Plane
Kevin Lowe Parachute
plane-crashes-into-skydivers-chute.gif

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
vpKwn0Y.gif

'Don't know why everyone is so glum. Looks fine to me.' - Dawgz

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
"Under MacTavish, the Oilers very nearly missed out on franchise player and certain hall-of-famer Connor McDavid when they showed improvement in consecutive seasons under coaches Tom Renney and Ralph Krueger. Fortunately for Oilers fans, McTavish understood the need for drafting an undisputed franchise player in the draft after witnessing the underwhelming performances of contemporary first overall picks Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov. The Oilers' selection of McDavid (and Sean Day the following year) would cement their roster for the next 20 years as McDavid would be the central figure in a Cup dynasty. MacTavish, of course, would not be there to bear witness to the fruits of his labour. Mike Babcock would be hired the summer of the McDavid draft, and the rest, as they say, is history."

I was close. :sarcasm:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I love seeing these threads from the Dark Ages. Helps me put everything in perspective.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
The rebuild killing move was firing Tom Renney and what is worse is a majority of fans were all for it (me included). Unfortunately the one time management should of actually NOT give a **** what the fans think (like now) they pandered and it began this nonsensical slide to purgatory.

Renney should of stayed, Krueger still running special teams and Tambo fired and an actual SEARCH for a GM should of been initiated. None of this hiring the first guy BFF bull****.

Totally disagree. I was against the Renney hiring from day one and was more than relieved to see him gone. He couldn't take a totally stacked Rangers team to past the 2nd round.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDecade - The Long road to McDavid ..

Starring Lowe, Tambo, MacT and Eakins. Guest appearnces Bill Daly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The McDavid lottery fluke aside, the biggest move this franchise has made in 10 years is the Bob Nicholson hiring and providing him with full autonomy within the franchise. From there, all the other moves flow. I guess you could say Katz having that bulb finally go off in his head and making that move could be the one as well.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
The McDavid lottery fluke aside, the biggest move this franchise has made in 10 years is the Bob Nicholson hiring and providing him with full autonomy within the franchise. From there, all the other moves flow. I guess you could say Katz having that bulb finally go off in his head and making that move could be the one as well.

By all accounts that move was very much driven by Lowe. It almost feels like after he blew up at the press, and insulted the fanbase, he actually realized how much he sucked.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Im not sure if we end up with our new Coach and GM if we don't win the lottery. As much as they will say thats not the #1 reason for them coming here, it has to be a huge factor. It looks good on Nicholson but could he have got those guys without mcdavid?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Im not sure if we end up with our new Coach and GM if we don't win the lottery. As much as they will say thats not the #1 reason for them coming here, it has to be a huge factor. It looks good on Nicholson but could he have got those guys without mcdavid?
This has got to stop. Yes they would have. Chia even said that there were good players at #3 and #4 as well.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Although significant McAdditions have been made, this team is not out of the woods yet.

Next year we can tie Florida's streak of 10 consecutive years without a playoff appearance.

It would be nice to avoid that part of the record book.

Does anyone really believe we can go from 28th overall to top 16 in one off-season?

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
It was the draft lottery, it was the last place finish, it was the age of MacT, it was the age of Lowe, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the off-season of Light, it was the regular season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to the Cup, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest HFOil posters insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, as delusional homers

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I believe he could and would have. Chia was on his way out of Boston and this was a perfect fit. The seeds for McLellan were already sown at the Worlds.

Eirhead*

The rebuild killing move was firing Tom Renney and what is worse is a majority of fans were all for it (me included). Unfortunately the one time management should of actually NOT give a **** what the fans think (like now) they pandered and it began this nonsensical slide to purgatory.

Renney should of stayed, Krueger still running special teams and Tambo fired and an actual SEARCH for a GM should of been initiated. None of this hiring the first guy BFF bull****.

I often wonder why Lowe, if he was running the show, goes on the bring Krueger back on board with team Canada right after being fired. Seems almost contradictory to the organizations mentality. I know he wasn't the coach but it seems strange to me nonetheless.

I thought Quinn was a poor choice when they hired him, but after that, they kept firing coaches too quickly. Never really gave any of them a chance to get established. Except for Eakins, they couldn't fire him fast enough. Renney and Krueger both got ran over by terrible management.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Said if before I'll say it again the revisions will be strong when this team gets good and perhaps wins a cup. Lowe and MacT will then be looked upon as the patient guys that set the table for later success, which of course will be total garbage, but that is how they will be remembered.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Here's the story:

In 2006 the Oilers had a cup run that seemed to indicate that they could attract players and UFA's to build competitive teams. For a couple years after that they tried to re-tool but found that no trade clauses and UFA's barred them from adding talent in those ways.

In June 2008 Katz buys the team. He asks the question,"How do we build a dynasty similar to the 80's Oilers?" Katz and Lowe formulate a plan to tank the team hard for several seasons in order to acquire the draft picks needed to 'develop from within'. This will potentially be the longest and most deliberate tanking on an NHL team in the modern era.

From 2008 to 2014 the team is deliberately in tank mode. They don't win, and the draft picks pile up. By poor luck, they keep getting skilled wingers with the good picks, but struggle to bring in top end defensemen and goaltending. During this time, Lowe takes the brunt of the fan's resentment as the top dog in management. However, he is simply following Katz's direction to tank long and hard.

The 2014 season is supposed to be the first year pulling out of the nosedive. MacT swaps players in and out, but by November its clear the team is still too unbalanced to compete. Katz and Lowe direct a tanking of the team one last time to keep in the running for McDavid.

At the draft lottery, Katz gets lucky. By sheer luck, Katz has orchestrated a team loaded with top end forward talent, which now includes the best C prospect in 30 years. Katz and Lowe quickly bring in a legitimate GM and Coach and prepare to end 'tank mode'.

Chiarelli's job is now to simply bring balance to the roster and plug the holes intentionally left by Lowe and MacT. Once this happens, the team cannot help but win. And they do.

When the Cup is awarded to captain Conner McDavid the first time, both Lowe and MacT will be given their props. Vets like Hall, Nuge and Eberle will be leading this charge. Lowe will hoist the cup on ice and will be the first in management to do so.

The talent acquired from 2009 to 2015 will be the core of the teams success for the duration of CMcD's career.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad