How will history tell this story?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I think it'll go back further than that:

"The Team that Sold it's Soul for 5 Cups"

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The rebuild is a failure, the Purge is coming.

when all is said and done, and 10 years pass, what will be seen as the 'rebuild killing' move?

Dallas Eakins being hired, hell depending on how things play out maybe it will be Craig McTavish being hired. That's the hinge point on things at any rate. Some progress being made and then it all got blowed up good.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

when all is said and done, and 10 years pass, what will be seen as the 'rebuild killing' move?

for me the rebuild started on Feb 27 2007 and everything the team has done has been the bluue print of how not to do a rebuild. And we are nowhere near coming out of the darkness-- we are now not looking at the playoffs the way thing are going until the 2017/2018 2018/2019 season at earliest just about the time both Eberle and Hall contracts come off the books and when they leave--we will start over again because it came to long to come out of the darkness

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Dallas Eakins being hired, hell depending on how things play out maybe it will be Craig McTavish being hired. That's the hinge point on things at any rate. Some progress being made and then it all got blowed up good.

probably. but, I go back to a move that was more symbolic, and not one that is viewed as crucial. The Yakupov pick was truly a missed opportunity and philosophically flawed. That pick should have traded for a veteran Dman or Centre. It not only would have been the right move (as time has shown), but it would have signified that the tanking was over.

At the moment, all assets should have been viewed as assets, and NOT core pieces. That was the folly from the start; that they were going to draft and develop the entire core, and keep every valued prospect, NO MATTER WHAT!!!

but, yeah, up until the Nurse pick and Mact hiring, things were still manageable. With the Eakins hire, everything fell apart.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Interesting question, Up In Irons...

Being a younger, dedicated hockey fan who was born during a cup-winning year, my view of the franchise is not as crystalline as some of the more veteran fans on this forum.

My Oiler memories include being one of hundreds of students standing in the field at Westbrook Elementary with a 'honk if you love the Oilers' sign during an inevitable-lose-to-Dallas playoff appearance.

Having the Herculean appearing Doug Weight, Jason Arnott come into the room of my minor hockey team to wish us all luck.

Carolina, Game 7...

Competitive, mean, blue-collar teams that made me proud to have come from Edmonton.

Unfortunately, a question is the answer to your question:

During the Glory Days when MacTavish and Lowe crafted what, this one only imagines to be, the status of a Holy Deity.

From what can be recalled, the dynasty years were centered around a few legendary Hall of Famers'... Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey.

None of these 4 are in our leadership group.

How is it that MacT and Lowe are able to ride the coat-tails of legendary performers to carry clout?

Steve Y runs the 'Bolts. Not Rob Probert.

Lemieux, the Penguins. Not Robin Brownlee.

How are these two qualified?

All we have as indicators of their success and intelligence, is being a small cog in a much larger, Legend fueled machine.

Where is the proof of any intelligence and qualification?

There has been nothing but failure, with them at or near the reigns.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think history will think this period is nearly as bad as it seems to us now. We started the rebuild in poverty. We're in an extended phase defined by a lack of chemistry and consistency. We've lost 10 in a row, which is awful, but it's just a number. We're not just unlucky, we deserve to lose, but we played well enough to have a few wins in this span. We've had extended periods of great hockey within this span (better than any span in 2009-10 imo) but of course the lapses have been so terrible that they cancel out any progress made. This team is struggling for an identity, but at least it has some pieces that can create an identity. Again, during the poverty phase of the rebuild that wasn't even possible.

Idk though. I expected better this season but I know enough of sports in general not to be too committed to my expectations. I also don't know what it would take to fix it.

member 145483

If we are smart...we will come out victorious and purge this entire chapter from the history books.

Countries do it for wars...why can't we do it for hockey.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
It 100% has to be hiring Mac T. And looking back, it doesn't seem all that surprising, he was handed the job without a proper interview process and he was very much unqualified.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Eventually, years and years from now, we will be like what Pittsburgh and Chicago are right now (hard to believe I know). Just like how the media and fans have forgotten about their dark years (which btw were worse than ours), everyone will forget about ours.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
It will go down as the darkest of days. It will also be remembered as a time of lost opportunity. So many high draft picks squandered and not developed. The Lowe/Katz era will be a black mark on a once proud franchise.
But things will turn around. I can forsee a day...10-15 years from now that this team is competitive and in the upper tier (no pun intended) of NHL teams. However, they will need a good GM to make savvy deal to trade Ebs, Schultz, Hall, Yak for key pieces of the 3rd Reich...errr...rebuild

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

The rebuild killing move was firing Tom Renney and what is worse is a majority of fans were all for it (me included). Unfortunately the one time management should of actually NOT give a **** what the fans think (like now) they pandered and it began this nonsensical slide to purgatory.

Renney should of stayed, Krueger still running special teams and Tambo fired and an actual SEARCH for a GM should of been initiated. None of this hiring the first guy BFF bull****.

I often wonder why Lowe, if he was running the show, goes on the bring Krueger back on board with team Canada right after being fired. Seems almost contradictory to the organizations mentality. I know he wasn't the coach but it seems strange to me nonetheless.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Chop Wood Carry Water: The Dallas Eakins Story

The story of how ten years of Dallas Eakins and ten first overall picks helped Edmonton make the playoffs as a 8 seed before being swept in the first round

Staring Michael Sera as RNH
Taylor Lutner as Yakupov
Peter Docter as Taylor Hall

"I'm not giving up on this team"

"Bold Moves"

"5 rings"

"I can't quit you"

"Half the teams in the NHL would trade their roster for our"

"A future Norris winner"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
"Under MacTavish, the Oilers very nearly missed out on franchise player and certain hall-of-famer Connor McDavid when they showed improvement in consecutive seasons under coaches Tom Renney and Ralph Krueger. Fortunately for Oilers fans, McTavish understood the need for drafting an undisputed franchise player in the draft after witnessing the underwhelming performances of contemporary first overall picks Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov. The Oilers' selection of McDavid (and Sean Day the following year) would cement their roster for the next 20 years as McDavid would be the central figure in a Cup dynasty. MacTavish, of course, would not be there to bear witness to the fruits of his labour. Mike Babcock would be hired the summer of the McDavid draft, and the rest, as they say, is history."

Last edited:

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009

The story of how ten years of Dallas Eakins and ten first overall picks helped Edmonton make the playoffs as a 8 seed before being swept in the first round

Taylor Lutner as Yakupov

"Bold Moves"

"5 rings"

"I can't quit you"

"A future Norris winner"

You might have something here! Hahaha

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013

Taylor Lutner as Yakupov

"Bold Moves"

"5 rings"

"I can't quit you"

"A future Norris winner"

:handclap:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't think history will think this period is nearly as bad as it seems to us now. We started the rebuild in poverty. We're in an extended phase defined by a lack of chemistry and consistency. We've lost 10 in a row, which is awful, but it's just a number. We're not just unlucky, we deserve to lose, but we played well enough to have a few wins in this span. We've had extended periods of great hockey within this span (better than any span in 2009-10 imo) but of course the lapses have been so terrible that they cancel out any progress made. This team is struggling for an identity, but at least it has some pieces that can create an identity. Again, during the poverty phase of the rebuild that wasn't even possible.

Idk though. I expected better this season but I know enough of sports in general not to be too committed to my expectations. I also don't know what it would take to fix it.

Who are "we"? Oilers are not part of my identity and a lot of fans are insulted to think that way now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Failed rebuild unless they land McDavid or Eichel. Even then it's not a lock from being a failure, but right now it's on life support and that's its best hope.

Hiring Mac T and Eakins were the death blows.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I would actually be interested in watching a movie about eakins and the challenges he faced as he took the oilers to the Stanley Cup.

Could have things like...
-Hall going to MacT and crying in his office saying he doesnt want to coach fired.
-Lowe showing his aggrogants in a press confrences
-MacT trading the MacDavid pick well breaking up the young guns and some how the team gets better due to Eakins willing it to
-Oilers being booed
-Lowe driving to work in the morning and seeing the Lowe must go sign
-players fighting in the locker room
-players requesting trades
-Scrivens throwing a jersey into the crowd
-Eakins' wife leaving him because he cares about the team more then her
-Eberle getting into a fight with a fan at a bar before being shipped out

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
How can people say it started with Eakins? He has been here 2 years and wasn't even here for the 3x 1st overalls.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
It'll be like the movie We Are Marshall, where the climax of the movie is when they finally won their first game after the tragedy. Except this feature the Oilers' first win in 26 games in a 1-0 dramatic 14 round shootout victory against an injury depleted Carolina Hurricanes team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00