How was Valabik at WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Don't really have an opinion since I haven't seen him play since game 1 of the tournament... but I do know he didn't stand out, he's nothing like Zdeno Chara talent-wise.

I don't expect him to play in the NHL... though the hype around him says otherwise.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
trahans99 said:
I didn't see any Slovakia games, how did he play? Did he play up to his #10 draft status? I;ve seen him play a few times and he looked brutal, i'ld like to see how he played against the best for his age.

Gave Kostsitsyn a concussion while checking him from behind during Slovakia-Belarus game, so depending who you root for, it's either a good or bad thing.

Personnally, I hate him :madfire: Go Kost Go!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
trahans99 said:
I didn't see any Slovakia games, how did he play? Did he play up to his #10 draft status? I;ve seen him play a few times and he looked brutal, i'ld like to see how he played against the best for his age.

He demonstrated that he is very raw. He is a very long term project and I don't see the upside. Been a Chara fan since his CHL days and I don't see it in Valabik.

Nice prospect regardless but 10th overall? The Thrashers are smoking good stuff. Valabik will also be complete garbage if, as I suspect, the league makes any kind of effort to further speed up the game and reward high octane hockey. Under those circumstances, he wouldn't even get a sniff.

A decent bottom 10 1st round gamble, a bad top 10 selection, IMO.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Valabik was alright, he showed toughness as a defenseman and was good in front of the net making room for his goalie. He played within his role and didn't show anything special, his defensive game wasn't great and he didn't try to show the offense. I did like him though because he could be that big mean physical defenseman and that's how he played.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
He demonstrated that he is very raw. He is a very long term project and I don't see the upside. Been a Chara fan since his CHL days and I don't see it in Valabik.

Nice prospect regardless but 10th overall? The Thrashers are smoking good stuff. Valabik will also be complete garbage if, as I suspect, the league makes any kind of effort to further speed up the game and reward high octane hockey. Under those circumstances, he wouldn't even get a sniff.

A decent bottom 10 1st round gamble, a bad top 10 selection, IMO.
Couldn't agree more.

Several Caps fans were clamoring to take him at 27 but I was totally against it. I figured he might still be around at 17 but when the Thrashers picked him at 10 all I could do was laugh...

Last edited:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whomever in the Thrashers organization that was responsible for drafting Valabik over Stafford, Tukonen, Meszaros, Schremp, and Zajac, etc, should hand in his resignation..or be fired.

leafaholix*

Peter James Bond said:
Whomever in the Thrashers organization that was responsible for drafting Valabik over Stafford, Tukonen, Meszaros, Schremp, and Zajac, etc, should hand in his resignation..or be fired.
I'm guessing it's the same guy that chose Coburn...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Peter James Bond said:

I'd take him over three of those guys. I liked the Valabik pick except for the fact that Meszaros was still available and I had him as the #2 defenseman in the draft.

CH Wizard

I don't see the upside in Valabik too.He wasn't involved much on the offensive plays.He was just waiting to kill a player.He's a stay at home defenceman to.I am not a fan of picking stay at home defencemans , early in a draft.He'll clearly need to work on his offensive side of the game.He's so slow (that's because of his size , I guess).I don't see much talent in him but He's so mean though.When a player is shining in a game , He always wants to kill him.Poor Kostitsyn.

I was suprised that a team took him so early.I though He'd go in teh late first round or even in teh second round.He's a project , We don't know if He's skilled enough to be a force or regular d in the NHL.

Again , We're seeing that big players won't necesseraly be a force in the NHL.They saw that He's 6'6 or 6'7 and the trashers scouts jumped on him.I even don't know if He's a solid hardworker.From what I've saw , He's lazy.That won't help him at any level.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks Atlanta made a huge mistake at taking him 10th. And if the NHL trys to free up the flow of the game then he will have a hard time making it even as a 6th dman.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trahans99 said:

He made the same impact as A.J. Thelen did for the U.S.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
Valabik mostly stood up in front of the net when he was in his own zone, doing nothing, letting his teammates do the job, even when the puck was 1 feet away from him he wouldn't skate towards it. He *sometimes* would skate a bit to get in the corners and throw some bodychecks, but not really often. In the offensive zone (i.e powerplays), he mostly tried to shoot the puck and was decent at that.

Overall, he has piss-poor agility and mobility.

leafaholix*

go kim johnsson said:
What happened to Coburn? Not panning out?
I don't think so.

And...

8. Braydon Coburn - Atlanta
9. Dion Phaneuf - Calgary

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I'm a Thrasher fan and I can live with the Coburn choice. However, I agree that the Valabik choice was a colossal mistake. When I saw Stafford, Tukonen, Schremp, Thelen and Meszaros available I was jumping with joy.

Meszaros was my choice then and would still be now. Here's why: The Thrashers' need an offensive minded defenseman who can also play solid defense. Quick outlet passes, QB the powerplay, etc. You know the type--Coffey, Borque, etc. In fact, there was some speculation that Suter was that guy the year before. With Mezaros and Thelen available, they took the lumbering giant instead.

The word on draft day was that Valabik was the #2 defenseman on their board. Say what???

The other area of major concern is a #2 centerman that can skate and create but still be defensively responsible. So if DW chose Schremp or Stafford I could have lived with that too. In fact, DW had a chance to select O'Sullivan in the 2nd round last year but instead traded the choice to Dudley for a journeyman defenseman in Majesky. Please...

So, instead of having Phaneuf and O'Sullivan from '03 and Meszaros and Lewis in '04; we got Coburn (OK) and Majesky in '03 and Valabik and Lewis in '04--and a lockout year. :cry: :cry:

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Valabik is supposed to be a heavy hittter yet he has been out most of the with season with a concussion while playing with kitchener. my thinking here is that if he is easily concussed and hitting is the only thing he does well ..the outlook imo is grim. i agree with the comment about him standing around waiting for the big hit. Smarter forwards in the NHL are going to make this guy look like a pylon. From what i have seen form him in a kitchener uniform he has the puck sense of a zamboni. This kid is no Chara.. he isn't even a Hal Gill.

X-SHARKIE

Am I watching a different player here?

I see alot to like in Valabik. Yes, I agree, even though I said this guy well be a top 10 pick, I didn't mean he deserved it, but there is to much raw power there not to like what he brings.

I can't waite until Coburn and Valabik make it to the NHL and Coburn is a shut down defenseman everyone wants like Mike Rathje while Valabik likely well on the 2nd pairing dominating in his own zone and absolutely punishing players and you'll learn to hate him (if you're not a thrashers fan) But Seriosly, Coburn is one steady force on the back end and Valabik brings a huge edge to a team that no one else that I can think of can.

I think once Valabik adds bulk, especially in his lowerbody he will be a force. He also is still learning mentally.

From what I gather on Valabik from my viewings...He is a great defensive defender. I rarely see him getting walked outside and his mobility as actualy impressive for a man his size! He simply shuts down his opposition with his size and huge range, He also makes opponets afraid to go anywhere near in front of the net.

Opponets well fear playing him.

I think Atlanta had better options at #10 but IMO Valabik isn't just a goon you all make him out to be, yes he's very raw, and yes he's offensive upside is minimal at best, but this guy has HUGE DEFENSIVE UPSIDE. Don't forget!

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Valabik sounds like a Hal Gill instead of a Zdeno Chara.

I don't Valabik will end up being half the player that Gill is. More like a Libor Ustrnul. Valabik and Ustrnul should Chicago's 5-6 tandem for years to come.

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
Am I watching a different player here?

I see alot to like in Valabik. Yes, I agree, even though I said this guy well be a top 10 pick, I didn't mean he deserved it, but there is to much raw power there not to like what he brings.

I can't waite until Coburn and Valabik make it to the NHL and Coburn is a shut down defenseman everyone wants like Mike Rathje while Valabik likely well on the 2nd pairing dominating in his own zone and absolutely punishing players and you'll learn to hate him (if you're not a thrashers fan) But Seriosly, Coburn is one steady force on the back end and Valabik brings a huge edge to a team that no one else that I can think of can.

I think once Valabik adds bulk, especially in his lowerbody he will be a force. He also is still learning mentally.

From what I gather on Valabik from my viewings...He is a great defensive defender. I rarely see him getting walked outside and his mobility as actualy impressive for a man his size! He simply shuts down his opposition with his size and huge range, He also makes opponets afraid to go anywhere near in front of the net.

Opponets well fear playing him.

I think Atlanta had better options at #10 but IMO Valabik isn't just a goon you all make him out to be, yes he's very raw, and yes he's offensive upside is minimal at best, but this guy has HUGE DEFENSIVE UPSIDE. Don't forget!
Is there anyone you don't like?

X-SHARKIE

Carl O'Steen said:
Is there anyone you don't like?

Oooooh yeah, Probally the most hyped player I don't like is Patrick O'Sullivan.

I rather not post on players I don't like though...I mean whats the point just driving a nail in there coffin? But when two prospects who I think are getting the shaft, especially Coburn, i'll come and give bashers my two cents.

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
Oooooh yeah, Probally the most hyped player I don't like is Patrick O'Sullivan.

I rather not post on players I don't like though...I mean whats the point just driving a nail in there coffin? But when two prospects who I think are getting the shaft, especially Coburn, i'll come and give bashers my two cents.
I think when it comes to Valabik, we shouldn't be called bashers when it's an opinion based on watching him play.

He's just not a very good hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad