How was it possible that a bust like Yakupov went first overall?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I understand that this could happen back in the 80's or even the 90's as there wasn't nearly as much scouting, coverage and video and so on. But Yakupov went #1 overall in 2012 and even played for two years in the OHL prior to the draft, so it wasn't like he was in some obscure Russian youth league. Now with yet another disappointing season for the Avs it seems likely he could be done in the NHL. How is it possible that a #1 overall pick in this day and age is so bad or underwhelming that he can't even stick in the league presumably? Baffling.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
His development just sort of stopped and regressed really.

If you look at his rookie season during the lock out shortened year he actually had very solid numbers. I believe he was on pace for about 29 goals, 55 points. Now think if he continued to develop from there as you would expect.

I think it is fair to blame the Oilers really.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Oilers ruined his development

Yeah and I think he was the kind of player who needed a lot of development too. Tons of raw talent (or so they say) but just not ready to play in the NHL and probably never will be. 136 points in 344 gp, brutal.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
In the two games he played this year vs the Bruins, he has 3 goals and 1 assist (= 25% of his entire yearly production so far!). If he could play 82 games vs us, he'd produce like Mario Lemieux! Ahahahah (it's joke) :laugh:

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Can you imagine if it were somehow possible quantify and assess development, and be able to sue a team for misdevelopment.

Oilers would be out if the league due to bankruptcy.
What team would you cheer for in such a league?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This was a bad draft. Still I was never in love with Yak. I thought Oilers should have gone Alex Galcheynuk and wanted the Isles to take either Morgan Reilly or Forsberg.
Griffin Reinhardt never really stood out for me and I didn't think Ryan Murray had the offensive upside to be taken that high.
This is a fun redraft to do.

Reactions: Fixxer

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Someone should update his elite prospects description

Nail Yakupov

A very speedy forward with excellent offensive abilities. Is a highly skilled stickhandler with good hockey sense and a powerful release. Moves the puck very well in full speed and has the skills needed to score goals in many different ways. Good work ethic and is fairly sound defensively. (EP 2012)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
A little off topic but I am very worried about Nolan Patrick. With all of his injuries even before he was drafted I am dumbfounded why the Flyers would keep him in the NHL, even after all of his struggles. It really looked like the writing was on the wall but since Patrick is a #2 pick the Flyers ignored it and just left him to the wolves to fend for himself.

It just makes me sad organizations are still making this mistake.

Nail Yakupov (2012-2013): 48GP - 17g, 14a for 31pts
Nolan Patrick (2017-2018): 56GP - 10g, 10a for 20pts

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
A little off topic but I am very worried about Nolan Patrick. With all of his injuries even before he was drafted I am dumbfounded why the Flyers would keep him in the NHL, even after all of his struggles. It really looked like the writing was on the wall but since Patrick is a #2 pick the Flyers ignored it and just left him to the wolves to fend for himself.

It just makes me sad organizations are still making this mistake.

Nail Yakupov (2012-2013): 48GP - 17g, 14a for 31pts
Nolan Patrick (2017-2018): 56GP - 10g, 10a for 20pts

Why are you worried about a player that you don't watch?

Philly fans aren't concerned in the least by what we've seen from a healthy Patrick.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
He definitely got "Eakinsed".

Also, it's possible that his hockey IQ was never quite good enough for the NHL to begin with but he got by using superior physical tools (like speed, low center of gravity strength) and his shot in the minors. You have to have good hockey IQ to really exceed in the NHL, especially as a smaller player.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3