How TSN views Oilers

oilers25

Aug 10, 2011
a friend of mine forwarded this link about how TSN views Oilers. Ferraro and McGuire are astute hockey men indeed and this really changed my mind for the positive with Nicholson and Chairelli as the brain trust for Oilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a07q4Ld0_A

**Starts at 2 mins mark** GLad Oilers now have a solid reputation with Nicholson and Chiarelli as solid executives who are well respected!:)

Tambellini and MacT and Howson really set the franchise back. Glad the power has been taken away from MacT and Howson!

Management:
- Just can't believe that Lowe hired 2 GM"s with no experience. Glad that power away taken away from him
-MacT hiring Eakins as coach and again no head coach experience
-MacT not firing pro scouting staff

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I kinda cringed for a second when Jeff O'Neill even mentioned Klefbom and Nikitin in the same sentence

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
a friend of mine forwarded this link about how TSN views Oilers. Ferraro and McGuire are astute hockey men indeed and this really changed my mind for the positive with Nicholson and Chairelli as the brain trust for Oilers.

**Starts at 2 mins mark** GLad Oilers now have a solid reputation with Nicholson and Chiarelli as solid executives who are well respected!:)

Tambellini and MacT and Howson really set the franchise back. Glad the power has been taken away from MacT and Howson!

Management:
- Just can't believe that Lowe hired 2 GM"s with no experience. Glad that power away taken away from him

why post something from July?

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
For me it's hard not to care a little bit about what they think because they're words are being heard by many....

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Then don't post in the thread.

he's right. These are validation threads to kind of pat yourself on the back just cuz some network analysts said something nice about your favourite team.

It's weak. TSN is the "best" of a very poor bunch so what they have to say is virtually meaningless. Therefore unnecessary thread.

People have to stop looking outside for recognition or anything else. The fans/bloggers in Edmonton and HFOil know what's going better than anyone else.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm not understanding the issues with what was said in this TSN archive?

Everything seems accurate to me.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
he's right. These are validation threads to kind of pat yourself on the back just cuz some network analysts said something nice about your favourite team.

It's weak. TSN is the "best" of a very poor bunch so what they have to say is virtually meaningless. Therefore unnecessary thread.

People have to stop looking outside for recognition or anything else. The fans/bloggers in Edmonton and HFOil know what's going better than anyone else.
The board could use a little positivity after all the "sky is falling" garbage the past 72 hours. Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan can be trusted.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Management:
At the time no one was really available to become GM. You can't hire an experience GM is there's no one available.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The board could use a little positivity after all the "sky is falling" garbage the past 72 hours. Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan can be trusted.

The board could use its posting not being categorized as garbage.

This kind of comment adds to problems here.

Not sure what an old TSN article has to do with the Oilers anyway.

TSN already dominates the sports media. Do we need to now do free advertising hits and links for it?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The board could use its posting not being categorized as garbage.

This kind of comment adds to problems here.

Not sure what an old TSN article has to do with the Oilers anyway.

TSN already dominates the sports media. Do we need to now do free advertising hits and links for it?
When people are declaring the season over and saying McDavid isn't generational after two games (agianst two of the best defensive teams), then yes it is garbage. And I'm not suprised to see you in here complaining about a thread that's supposed to be positive. Like clockwork.

"Free advertising" for TSN because it's something that you don't agree with. Laughable.

At the time no one was really available to become GM. You can't hire an experience GM is there's no one available.
That's not true. Without trying to rehash that era, Doug Armstrong reportedly wasn't interested in the Oilers job in 2008 because he knew how involved Lowe was still going to be. MacTavish was given the job without an interview process when there were several candidates available.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
When people are declaring the season over and saying McDavid isn't generational after two games (agianst two of the best defensive teams), then yes it is garbage. And I'm not suprised to see you in here complaining about a thread that's supposed to be positive. Like clockwork.

"Free advertising" for TSN because it's something that you don't agree with. Laughable.

Who was saying that?

Maybe your dismissive characterization is inappropriate.

As for the TSN article I didn't say I agree or disagree. Just don't see the need for a thread on it when the content is dated.

Laughable? Whats the issue?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Who was saying that?

Maybe your dismissive characterization is inappropriate.

As for the TSN article I didn't say I agree or disagree. Just don't see the need for a thread on it when the content is dated.

Laughable? Whats the issue?
People on this board have said that McDavid needs to be scratched or sent back to junior. Some people have even said that Eichel is better and has more size and is more physical.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Apparently a lot of people do, otherwise they would not be on the air.

Not necessarily true, they just have to cater to certain demographics that comprise most of their viewer base. TSN could cater almost solely to the Leafs, Habs, and Nucks and I'm sure they'd still be turning a nice profit.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People on this board have said that McDavid needs to be scratched or sent back to junior. Some people have even said that Eichel is better and has more size and is more physical.

So its necessary to categorize the board on the basis of a few outlier opinions?

Lets be clear here. The kind of post that says this place is (fill in the lines) is grandstanding and as problematic as any concern.

less categorizing others opinions would make the board experience better. jmo

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I haven't seen anybody say Macdavid should be sent back to junior. You're misinterpreting what one poster who isn't even a regular on this board posted. That poster only asked if it was possible for that to happen. It was suggested by somebody that it may be a good idea to sit him for a game or two because he was looking overwhelmed by the media drain he's had to go through and he may be exhausted from it. There is one regular poster who won't stop suggesting he's going to be a bust but he's the only one and nobody is taking him seriously. I haven't seen anybody suggest Eichel should have been taken instead.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I haven't seen anybody say Macdavid should be sent back to junior. You're misinterpreting what one poster who isn't even a regular on this board posted. That poster only asked if it was possible for that to happen. It was suggested by somebody that it may be a good idea to sit him for a game or two because he was looking overwhelmed by the media drain he's had to go through and he may be exhausted from it. There is one regular poster who won't stop suggesting he's going to be a bust but he's the only one and nobody is taking him seriously. I haven't seen anybody suggest Eichel should have been taken instead.
I think I also know who that poster is. Thanks.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

There's always someone available. Just look at the circumstances in which we acquired PC and had to cough up a draft pick for him.

If you're the head of a hockey team that needs a GM and the hockey community thinks you're a joke, nobody is going to say anything and they're going to let you hire lame ducks like Mac-T, but if you're the head of a respected team like the Redwings, a powerhouse team like the Hawks or the Ducks or a team that just happened to have landed Connor Mcdavid; people will find out clauses to make themselves available.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Eichel is bigger and more physical.

If our rebuild was in year 2 instead of 5/6/7 I would have given the world to be able to draft him after McDavid.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
So its necessary to categorize the board on the basis of a few outlier opinions?

Lets be clear here. The kind of post that says this place is (fill in the lines) is grandstanding and as problematic as any concern.

less categorizing others opinions would make the board experience better. jmo

while that is 100% true, and i agree with every word of it, it's just not going to happen on a public forum like this one. what happens is the hive mentality kicks into high gear and stereotypes and generalizations get repeated as literal truths, and we all know if you repeat a lie enough times to enough people, it eventually becomes accepted as truth by the masses. perception becomes reality with the mob mentality. (hey that rhymes :D)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad