How to remove rusted screws

Torquenstein

Nov 3, 2010
Hi there guys,
I want to remove myvisor from my helmet, but I've got poblems, because some of the screws are just rust and i can't get them loose, are there any trick besides muscle and time?;)

TinofGrizz

Feb 5, 2010
Try a brand new sharp drill bit and drill them out.

Just make sure the heat generated from the drill does not melt the plastic on the helmet. So like Marauder said make sure it is brand new and very sharp so it gets drilled out quickly.

Over the years I have seen people try it with an older bit and it will create so much heat between the bit and the screw that the plastic on the helmet will melt through.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
After having rusty cars (well rusty undercarriages anyway), I've learned the best way to deal with rusty screws is using Liquid Wrench, which is a spray you should be able to find at any hardware store. You might want to thoroughly clean the helmet afterwards though, I doubt it'll be healthy to leave it on there and skate with it. Just check the caution label on the back, probably best off giving it a good wash regardless of what the can says.

Rush22*

Try a brand new sharp drill bit and drill them out.

If the problem is that you ruined the screw head because it is rusted take a grinder with a fine cutting wheel and cut a slit in each one and try a big flat head to get them loose.

If the problem is you simply cannot get the screws to loosen then get some penetrating lube and just try harder.

If all else fails get a nice sharp drill bit and carefully drill the screws out (the bit's diameter should be slightly smaller than the screw itself, or as close to possible as the size of the screw without going larger). Use machinists coolant on the bit while drilling it to keep the heat from melting the visor itself.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
pick up a set of 'easy outs'.

will be particularly helpful if have eaten away some of the screw head trying to get the screws out.

borrowed my brother's set of easy outs when some of my helmet screws were seized and trying to get them off resulted in buggering up the screw head. took a bit of work but got the screws out with the easy outs.

Torquenstein

Nov 3, 2010
well the problem is, that not only the screwhead is ruined but also that the screw itself won't get loose from the screw nut on the inside of the helmet, it's like they are "grown" together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad