Proposal: How to pull Detroit out of this skid

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The only thing pulling Detroit out of this skid is getting healthy, We simply aren't winning many games with our current available roster. Line combinations don't improve available talent.

Larkin does a shit ton of heavy lifting in all three zones that does not show up on the scoresheet. We are shit without him.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The only thing pulling Detroit out of this skid is getting healthy, We simply aren't winning many games with our current available roster. Line combinations don't improve available talent.

Larkin does a shit ton of heavy lifting in all three zones that does not show up on the scoresheet. We are shit without him.
Yup.

No Larkin, Bertuzzi, Hronek, Maata, Fabbri....

This is gonna get ugly.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
We aren't going to win many games without Larkin and Hronek. Those two are really the only guys we have who routinely push the puck/drive possession. Guys like Raymond, Kubalik, etc aren't going to produce a whole lot without that type of support. Perron is great inside the offensive zone, a lot like a power forward, he doesn't have the typical size but he impacts the game the same ways as a power forward. He will relentlessly use all of his willpower to protect the puck. Often times he looks like he has 3 monkeys on his back but he comes away with it. However, hes not much for skating up the ice with the puck and producing consistent clean zone entrys. Bertuzzi helps in a support role with that but again, injured.

Larkin and Hronek literally drive this team, without them its going to be very brutal to watch. Hopefully they are back soon or we are going to see some very frustrating to watch hockey. Guys like Raymond and Kubalik will still find the back of the net a bit off some odd chances that unfold, but those chances aren't going to come as regularly for anyone.

Honestly, Larkin was struggling the last few games pushing play. It just had me thinking about how unexciting our future currently projects without a lot of luck being on our side. If Larkin isn't going, our wingers are incapable to pick up the slack and drive some possession. Raymond so far hasn't shown that he has it in him to be an elite player who is going to play the game with the puck on his stick. He hasn't shown it at any level, only some potential that maybe he can. I know you can find highlights of Raymond carrying the puck and driving A play. But its about the ability that results in frequency. Any player can do that enough to create an illusion within a highlight video over the course of the season. We need players that go out there and have the puck on their stick a substantial amount nearly every shift, every game.

At this point, I'm about ready to just hope the injury bug sticks with us and we end up improving draft position. We really need some elite talent. This whole idea of not having shit for elite forwards and creating a team through depth just has so many limitations.

Reactions: Filppula

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to see Berggren, Veleno, Edvinsson and Elmer playing with Red Wings at the end of the season, even if team gets healthy . For this some trades have to be done. I don't believe we need improve this team, we still need couple of good draft picks. Seider - Edvinsson pair whoud be awesome. We could get extra first rounds for Bert and Perron. If Kubalik too much money trade him away, his value get up after this season

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trade injured Bertuzzi + Veleno for Horvat, bring Vrana back and give some miracle drink for Larkin, Fabbri, Määttä and Hronek to get them back healthy.

Kubalik - Larkin - Perron
Vrana - Horvat - Raymond
Fabbri - Copp - Berggren
Erne - Ras - Sundqvist
(Elmer - Suter - Zadina)

Määttä - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Walman - Oesterle

Husso
HELL-BERG

After this, package Zadina+Lindström for veteran RhD.

Time to get some real value on the ice, and not ice this DAMN 40M dollar team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Trade injured Bertuzzi + Veleno for Horvat, bring Vrana back and give some miracle drink for Larkin, Fabbri, Määttä and Hronek to get them back healthy.

Vrana - Horvat - Raymond
Fabbri - Copp - Berggren
Erne - Ras - Sundqvist
(Elmer - Suter - Zadina)

Määttä - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Walman - Oesterle

Husso
HELL-BERG

Ooh. I gotcha. We need Yzerman to fill a water bottle and put some tape on it saying “Stevie’s secret stuff”. Then he tells them a story about how the Wings used to drink it.

Then the Wings get all super powered but at period’s end they run out and ask for more and he just says it was water and they had the secret stuff in them the whole time

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ooh. I gotcha. We need Yzerman to fill a water bottle and put some tape on it saying “Stevie’s secret stuff”. Then he tells them a story about how the Wings used to drink it.

Then the Wings get all super powered but at period’s end they run out and ask for more and he just says it was water and they had the secret stuff in them the whole time
That's honestly more believable than the two trades listed in that post...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Vrana - Horvat - Raymond
Fabbri - Copp - Berggren
Erne - Ras - Sundqvist
(Elmer - Suter - Zadina)

Määttä - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Walman - Oesterle

Husso
HELL-BERG

I fear, a Horvat trade has to include a 1st round pick.

I don't think Vancouver even makes a deal without one coming there way.

Dante Fabbro from Nashville is a guy that "could" "potentially" be flipped for a scoring type forward. Nashvilleb has a 8/9 man log-jam of bottom type grinder forwards. They need scoring help. This article here almost suggests he's going to be moved to a team like the Red Wings: NHL Rumors: Predators Looking For Trade Partner For Young Defenceman

Only problem is Vancouver really has the guy that prolly in Brock Boeser(maybe he's too expensive contract wise, idk.)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

It's World Cup season. Just use magic spray and start planning the parade.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Given that our most optimistic view had us being a bubble team at the season's start, I'm not going to lose much sleep about the fact that missing a number of our better players is seeing those chances recede.

All that can be done at this point is give the younger guys some quality linemates, try to focus our skill together and set the rest to 'shut down' and hope this doesn't damage any of them.

Longer term its focus on expiring contracts and plan renewals or trades.

As a team on the outside, if there is a year where unfortunate absences will force us back into the bottom 10 despite having a roster that when healthy is better than that, it might as well be this year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Getting healthy is for sure a major boost to the team but I also don't like the idea of sacrificing what little gains Detroit has made this year from last due to injuries. I still believe there's a way for Detroit to not sell the farm and trade for a few smaller depth pieces that could help them tread water while Larkin/Bertuzzi/Vrana/Maatta/Hronek/Fabbri get healthy. And those depth pieces get pushed lower in the lineup when everyone gets healthy so Detroit can actually make a run for the postseason.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I fear, a Horvat trade has to include a 1st round pick.

I don't think Vancouver even makes a deal without one coming there way.

Dante Fabbro from Nashville is a guy that "could" "potentially" be flipped for a scoring type forward. Nashvilleb has a 8/9 man log-jam of bottom type grinder forwards. They need scoring help. This article here almost suggests he's going to be moved to a team like the Red Wings: NHL Rumors: Predators Looking For Trade Partner For Young Defenceman

Only problem is Vancouver really has the guy that prolly in Brock Boeser(maybe he's too expensive contract wise, idk.)

Don't really like Fabbro. He has been outplayed by Alex Carrier, for a reason. Hope Yzerman will trade for him (Carrier).

Fabbro is A) not a veteran B) has defensive flaws. Don't think he is the right help to our defence.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Getting healthy is for sure a major boost to the team but I also don't like the idea of sacrificing what little gains Detroit has made this year from last due to injuries. I still believe there's a way for Detroit to not sell the farm and trade for a few smaller depth pieces that could help them tread water while Larkin/Bertuzzi/Vrana/Maatta/Hronek/Fabbri get healthy. And those depth pieces get pushed lower in the lineup when everyone gets healthy so Detroit can actually make a run for the postseason.
Depth pieces? That is a fool's errand. Our issue as it relates to saving our season is giant holes at the top of our roster due to injuries. We cannot fill first-line holes (especially at center) with league average second and third- line players. The bottom of our roster isn't killing us.

I am all for making good sound hockey trades that help us in the future. They should not, however, be motivated by a desire to save a season in which this team is at best a fringe playoff team. Our play up until this point has been more gravy than potatoes in my eyes. The best way to avoid dumb decisions is to be honest and realistic about your team.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Simply making the postseason should never be the goal. That's what got the Wings in this mess the past decade to begin with.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Simply making the postseason should never be the goal. That's what got the Wings in this mess the past decade to begin with.
Bingo. How quickly people forget. We should always have an appetite for good, sound hockey trades but we can't be shortsighted or blinded by a short run of success.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Bingo. How quickly people forget. We should always have an appetite for good, sound hockey trades but we can't be shortsighted or blinded by a short run of success.

Again, I’m not suggesting our next 3 first rounders for the Kyle Quinceys of the hockey world. I don’t want to replace Seider with Tyson Barrie or some other trash.

Before injuries, as the team chemistry was building, this team started to look like the kind of team that flirt with 95 points or better. Improving lower lineup depth makes that even better.

With smart hockey trades these moves help a little this year, but are still paying off next season when Detroit expects to be even better.

And outside of injuries to the top 6 the lower lineup depth is definitely a major concern. It was highlighted on the first post how little anyone besides Sunny and Berggren have been producing.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Don't really like Fabbro. He has been outplayed by Alex Carrier, for a reason. Hope Yzerman will trade for him (Carrier).

Fabbro is A) not a veteran B) has defensive flaws. Don't think he is the right help to our defence.
Well I'm not gonna totally even disagree but it does boil down to a bit... Isn't he better than Walman/Oseterle/Lindstrom.

All of them? Which is kind of what matters. Idk if Nashville is interested in moving Carrier, for the reason you mentioned. Someone, if we wont, will trade for Fabbro for some help if Nashville is pursing trading him for scoring depth on the 3rd/4th lines.

Doesn't sway my boat either way.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Buy a couple of Star Wars medical droids and have them replace Bert and DBoss' hands.

prosthetic_swmedicalupclose_small.jpg

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad