Speculation: How to open up 2nd buyout window to buyout Raymond

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So having dinner with Stewie here and we started talking about how to open up the second buyout window if we take a player to team elected arbitration. The only RFAs eligible for arbitration are Lance Bouma and Paul Byron as far as we could recall. But we were both surprised that Byron received a qualifying offer, because quite frankly we think he's not good enough to make the team this year.

We think that we would avoid arbitration with Bouma because we don't want to risk souring the relationship with him, but Byron is expendable and it won't hurt us long term to sour the relationship with him. So we think Treliving is an evil genius and only gave Byron a qualifying in order to take him to arbitration to open up this second buyout window in which we would buyout Mason Raymond. :naughty:

tldr:

Take Byron to arbitration to allow us to buyout Raymond

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm sorry but I have to be that guy. I don't understand how taking Byron to arbitration allows us to buy out Raymond

The buyout period closed on June 30. No buyout may occur after this date, unless a team or player applies for salary arbitration. After arbitration has concluded, a second buyout window opens. This is the scenario we are talking about.

Raymond may have been seen as a fall-back if we didn't acquire Frolik. Now that we have he's expendable.

Did that make sense?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would honestly just rather keep him for at least this season, while continuing to shop him throughout the season. If no suitor can be found, then sure buy him out next year when we need the cap, since his contract doesn't hurt us this year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't know why everybody is so keen on getting rid of Raymond. He has two years left.

Yeah he was really bad this year, but he's usually good for 15-20. He had a bad first year which is very common. Jiri Hudler? Pretty bad in his first year. Look how that turned out.

Hockey players are proud people and one bad season isn't enough to close the books on the guy. We don't need the space. Why get rid of him?

With some confidence and some self-introspection I think Mason can still be an effective NHL player. I would rather save our buyouts for worse contracts in the future when we may need the room.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Should have bought him out when they had the chance.

Now, just retain some salary and ship him to New Jersey. They're below the cap and could use some wingers, maybe.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hudler scored 54 points in his first year?

Raymond just isn't a great player, he's always been inconsistent, just ask the Nucks.

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
The buyout period closed on June 30. No buyout may occur after this date, unless a team or player applies for salary arbitration. After arbitration has concluded, a second buyout window opens. This is the scenario we are talking about.

Raymond may have been seen as a fall-back if we didn't acquire Frolik. Now that we have he's expendable.

Did that make sense?

Okay so taking just one player to arbitration allows the team to buyout any player they want, regardless if that specific player was taken to arbitration? I think I get it.

And Raymond being insurance in case of Frolik not signing here certainly answers my second question:laugh:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Why go through all that trouble? They have just bought him out when the opportunity arose.

Treliving identified strength and depth on the wing as needs heading into free agency. If Frolik or the other UFA options fell through then Raymond was an adequate stop-gap.

Attempting to trade him even at retained salary would be preferable but I truly don't think he has any value - even at 50% retained.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm all for it. It'd allow us the option to free up some salary and a roster space.
Treliving: God, Superhero, and all around nice guy by day; evil genius by night.
He's not the GM we deserve, he's the GM we need. ;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Then why did we sign him in the first place?

I was never crazy about it, tbh. I think he had inflated numbers from getting lots of minutes in TO. He's always been this way, Hartley is a tough coach and requires 150% every night, Raymond is so streaky so I'm not surprised he's struggling for us.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
And if Byron goes to arbitration he's a Flame this year.

This is more about buying out Raymond.

So what you're saying is that regardless of who is taken to arbitration, any player can be bought out during that buyout window? Interesting for sure.

I was mostly replying to the comment that Byron is expendable. Flames are significantly better possession wise when he is on the ice, although its getting crowded in the bottom six.

Would still like if we could trade Raymond to a cap floor team that needs warm bodies, like New Jersey for a 6th or something.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So what you're saying is that regardless of who is taken to arbitration, any player can be bought out during that buyout window? Interesting for sure.

I was mostly replying to the comment that Byron is expendable. Flames are significantly better possession wise when he is on the ice, although its getting crowded in the bottom six.

Would still like if we could trade Raymond to a cap floor team that needs warm bodies, like New Jersey for a 6th or something.
I said expendable because losing him would not have a significant negative impact to our future.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I still don't see the benefits to buying him out now as opposed to retaining salary on a trade or waiting until next year to buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad