How to lower Marner's contract

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Play him all 60 minutes of every game. His P/60 will be in the toilet and you can get him for cheap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The minute Leafs signed JT is was game over Fait accompli that Marner's next contract was going up significantly.

Elite #1C make their wingers better and Mitch playing on #1PP in the NHL with both JT and AM will make in unavoidable that his points will go up.

Now priority wise the goal is to win so having Marner produce and Leafs win is fulfilling that goal is a good thing, but all actions have consequences and the consequences of those actions is accepting a larger contract and higher cap hit as a result.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. !!!

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
It doesn't. Team's are smart enough to play their young players accordingly. Unless you have a moron coach like us who gives Matthews 2:00 PP TOI a game and 16 and a half minutes overall.

Ehlers was actually on the first PP unit and played with Laine and Scheifele for the year where he signed his 6x6 contract.

nice try those were Marners numbers last year. Matthews played equal PP time to Marner but played over 18 min TOI. 2 minutes more than Marners average.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How does this make the team better??? We sign players to put up points which means it leads us to win. If you are trying to stop your players from getting points than you shouldnt be a gm or a coach. Wtf is this crap...

No, I think some folks are just "cap crazy" to make their fantasy roster, decreasing Marner's production seems a logical solution. Is he waiver eligible? Maybe a stint with the e Marlies would solve next years cap issues.
The same people also want all Leafs upcoming UFAs should be traded by TDL, because they "can't walk for nothing". Doesn't matter that the players...Gardiner and Hainsey are needed by the Leafs this year to help for Cup push, the Leafs might be the only championship contenders in any sport that should trade upcoming UFAs for futures.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
1. Play him with Kadri line

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares- Nylander
Brown- Kadri- MARNER
Johnson- Goat- Lindholm

- tbis way he boosts kadri's line but puts up less points as he wont be playing with Tavares. Put him back with JT in 2019-2020

2. Make him the number one primary penalty killer

Thoughts ?

funny stuff :)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think endorsements will let us sign Marner cheaper, He's already with Intact, Beats, car companies, other things, he's the most likey to sign a team friendly deal imo.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
KqYWYsv.gif

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You want to lower Mitch's contract? Then give him opportunities to display his talent to the fullest, and then tell him that the best way that he can continue playing on a stacked team, and on a stacked line, and having the kind of fun he is having, and challenging for awards and the cup is to sign a contract that allows the team to continue to surround him with a lot of talent. Will that result in his agent starting with a bigger ask? Yes, because that is the agents job. But the agent doesn't give a shit if that means the player he is representing is going to surrounded by AHL talent instead of NHL talent. The agent doesn't give a shit if that means that the player he is representing has his chances of winning a cup fall through the flow. The player does. And the player is ultimately in charge.

Doing the opposite only destroys the good will that you are hopefully building with the player, and tells him that the agent is the only one who cares about his hockey career.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The way to sell the boys on taking a 'friendly' deal is to engage them, let them know their value and keep them up on the plan and it's status.

When you run an organization, your key members have to know they're valued. You go about deceiving them, pissing them off and trying to hold them down then prepare for them to put the screws to you in the next round of negotiations.

I have little doubt that both Matthews and Marner have had these chats with Dubas and the trust, and minimum and maximum numbers have been kicked about.

Mitch: minimum 7.5 maximum 8.5
Auston: minimum 10 maximum 11.5

Theyll be getting paid and paid well, but if they buy in (like Willy hasn't), they'll be happy to take a small haircut on this first deal to improve the odds of winning a cup.

...then again that's what Johnny T did in New York, but also then again the Islanders haven't had anything close to what we have since their dynasty days (crylanders haven't had a season over 105 points since three years...before I was born, I had a Famicom and mullet when I was a boy).

Last edited:

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Or crazy thought, you play your best lineup, try to win the cup, then deal with contracts in the off season. Why tank someone's season so he can sign for 1 million less? Anyways, Marner knows his value and even if he was moved, he'd still know that value. What an awful take...

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
I just want to win, as long as Marner and JT are producing and we are winning games there is no need to change anything. The rest we can worry about after. If we need an extra 2 million we trade a Brown. Sacrificing winning to get a player at a possible "discount" is poor asset management.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think all this talk of Marner signing for $10,000,000 is PURE BS. The kid is a hometown bow who seems to absolutely love playing here, and bleeds blue and white, ultimately wanting to win a cup here.

Everyone wants to get paid, but not everyone gets to play for their hometown team, and a good one at that. He won't sacrifice the potential of winning a cup to make an extra million bucks.

Now before everyone says i'm crazy (which I may just be) lets look at his Endorsement/Sponsorship deals.

Beats by Dre (im sure is over a million/year - probably more)
Intact Insurance
Red Bull
etc..

thats alot of money that he probably wouldnt be making elsewhere

Mitch signs a 7.5 - 8 million dollar deal this off season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think endorsements will let us sign Marner cheaper, He's already with Intact, Beats, car companies, other things, he's the most likey to sign a team friendly deal imo.

I've seen this line of thought before, and I just don't agree with it - I don't think that "extra-curricular" income matters when it comes purely down to dollars & cents on a contract.

If it did, every star player in the league would be angling to play for a Canadian team, because the sponsorship potential is massive. You'd have agents lining up on the phone on hold, trying to speak to Montreal or Toronto every off season

Matthews, for example, has a ton of extra dollars coming him - much of it lately from fashion. That won't change his ask from the McDavid deal. Nor should it.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Drinking to early in the day? This makes awful look good. How about the Leafs let Marner become the best player he can be. Pay him what he's worth and don't piss him off? Sign Mitch and Auston looooooooooooooooooooon term. Let Dubas figure out the rest.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Actually just send him to the Marlies hope he passes thru waivers. You know, Cuz he's gonna be getting so much money........

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Marner is not Nylander. He doesn't need to ride on a better players coattails. Marner is super legit and would put up 60+ no matter who he is lined up with. He drives his own line, generates his offense and his linemates offense.

There is nothing you can do to cage Magic Mitch. He's getting paid big boy money regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad