Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
1. Play him with Kadri line

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares- Nylander
Brown- Kadri- MARNER
Johnson- Goat- Lindholm

- tbis way he boosts kadri's line but puts up less points as he wont be playing with Tavares. Put him back with JT in 2019-2020

2. Make him the number one primary penalty killer

Thoughts ?

Reactions: Maple Leafs

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Thoughts?

Why is the actual hell would you want to mess with the chemistry they are developing. Why would you want to piss off JT after he signed and was told he would play with Marner? To try and short change him, play hard ball and piss him off?

How about we continue to play them together, watch the magic they are able to produce and pay him what he is worth.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares- Nylander
Brown- Kadri- MARNER
Johnson- Goat- Lindholm

- tbis way he boosts kadri's line but puts up less points as he wont be playing with Tavares. Put him back with JT in 2019-2020

Thoughts ?
Throw him onto Robidas island. Hope he breaks all 4 limbs while there.
Maybe his price drops slightly.

Love watching him out there.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares- Nylander
Brown- Kadri- MARNER
Johnson- Goat- Lindholm

Thoughts ?
Thoughts? Absolute nonsense. This thread is absolute nonsense.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
How does this make the team better??? We sign players to put up points which means it leads us to win. If you are trying to stop your players from getting points than you shouldnt be a gm or a coach. Wtf is this crap...

Reactions: Confucius

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
The real way to lower it, tell him its 10M, but on the contract take a zero off and hope he signs before he notices. Then we have Mitch for 8 years at 8M total.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Kadri and Marner are a proven point per game duo.

Nice try lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm legitimately curious how some of you think these contract negotiations go down. Artificially lowering production is a great way to piss off your young players and make them sign bridges until they're UFA and bolt. This is millions of dollars were talking about here that these young players could potentially lose from having their production thwarted.

Reactions: biotk

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
How does this make the team better??? We sign players to put up points which means it leads us to win. If you are trying to stop your players from getting points than you shouldnt be a gm or a coach. Wtf is this crap...

My point is that you spread out the offense - allowing overall more team scoring and balanced scoring and at the same time decrease total nimbers of Marner - but increase kadri's line's numbers

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Look at whats happenimg to Ehlers in winnipeg - hes put on a line with one of their less tale ted centres for the betterment of the overall team - hes not scoring as much. In this case eblers already has a co tract but if he didnt his numbers would be lower if this was his co tract year

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Kadri and Marner are a proven point per game duo.

Nice try lol

Right but id argue he scores overall fewer points if playing with a less talented centre - but at the same time increasing the total scoring output but 'spreading out the offense' for the betterment of the team.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I guarantee that when Dubas was negotiating with Tavares, Tavares asked to play with Marner. It's not good for future UFA negotiations or team moreal if you play them together for 6 games and then split them up despite their chemistry.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I'm legitimately curious how some of you think these contract negotiations go down. Artificially lowering production is a great way to piss off your young players and make them sign bridges until they're UFA and bolt. This is millions of dollars were talking about here that these young players could potentially lose from having their production thwarted.

Can you give me at least a 5 examples this in fact occured ?
Im legit curious

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Can you give me at least a 5 examples this in fact occured ?
Im legit curious
It doesn't. Team's are smart enough to play their young players accordingly. Unless you have a moron coach like us who gives Matthews 2:00 PP TOI a game and 16 and a half minutes overall.

Ehlers was actually on the first PP unit and played with Laine and Scheifele for the year where he signed his 6x6 contract.

Reactions: Optomist

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
It doesn't. Team's are smart enough to play their young players accordingly. Unless you have a moron coach like us who gives Matthews 2:00 PP TOI a game and 16 and a half minutes overall.

Ehlers was actually on the first PP unit and played with Laine and Scheifele for the year where he signed his 6x6 contract.

So then you dont have evidence to qualify your previous statememts. Am I the only one here that thinks that the thought about somehow manipulating his play - ice time, linemates is a useful exercise in the setting of the impending and inevitable cap crunch?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Right but id argue he scores overall fewer points if playing with a less talented centre - but at the same time increasing the total scoring output but 'spreading out the offense' for the betterment of the team.

Don't think it's this easy contract wise. Agent will just extrapolate during negotiations.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares- Nylander
Brown- Kadri- MARNER
Johnson- Goat- Lindholm

Thoughts ?
facepalm.gif

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So then you dont have evidence to qualify your previous statememts. Am I the only one here that thinks that the thought about somehow manipulating his play - ice time, linemates is a useful exercise in the setting of the impending and inevitable cap crunch?

No, you're not. Lots of people think that.

It really doesn't work this way, trust me. If you're Marner's agent, and you see a moron coach intentionally limiting his production, that's going to be a big factor in negotiations. Who do you suggest they play in front of Marner? Connor Brown? None of it will go over well. Great way to piss Mitch off too: "Sorry Mitch I know Auston and Johnny are 2 of the best centers in the world but it's imperative Connor Brown plays with them instead of you."

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
No, you're not. Lots of people think that.

It really doesn't work this way, trust me. If you're Marner's agent, and you see a moron coach intentionally limiting his production, that's going to be a big factor in negotiations. Who do you suggest they play in front of Marner? Connor Brown? None of it will go over well. Great way to piss Mitch off too: "Sorry Mitch I know Auston and Johnny are 2 of the best centers in the world but it's imperative Connor Brown plays with them instead of you."

Sure it may limit his production but you can argue that it would be for the betterment of the team - spreading the offense e.g. Sid-Malkin-Kessel

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Can't and shouldn't hold a quality player back and change a good formula. Works well with Tavares, and has also been utilized on the PK to go along with his PP proficiency. The cap situation should work itself out fine enough.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares- Nylander
Brown- Kadri- MARNER
Johnson- Goat- Lindholm

Thoughts ?
Tell him you will pay him $10MM and then do it in Canadian dollars

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sure it may limit his production but you can argue that it would be for the betterment of the team - spreading the offense e.g. Sid-Malkin-Kessel
All in all I wouldn't worry about Marner's upcoming contract my friend. These $9M-$10M numbers that are getting thrown around are completely absurd. Don't let the media scare you with this shit, they do it all the time. Just seems they're getting more classless nowadays and have amped up their fear-monger segments regarding the Leafs young players' contracts.

Linemates are most certainly a big part of negotiations. Everything gets discussed there. If Marner puts up a godlike amount of points on Tavares' wing it's not going to default him into a massive overpayment. I mean the year before he put up 69 points, Tavares comes and he skyrockets his numbers. Management can easily come out and say that us acquiring Tavares helped your production majorly.

Reactions: sergay berezipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad