How To Lose Belly Fat

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
secondly, HIIT releases a higher volume of cortisol due to the stress you are putting your body through as compared to standard cardio. the difference is the duration. so in the end, depending on exercise time, the total cortisol release could be identical, or it could be skewed either way. this will vary with intensity, time and person to person. only a blood test will tell.

Long, moderate intensity cardio raises the following hormones: GH, TSH, T3, cortisol, Some T2. note: T3 and cortisol eat away at both fat and muscle

Short, high intensity cardio raises the following hormones: GH, TSH, T2, and some T3. note:T2 preserves more muscle than T3.

Long, low intensity cardio raises the following hormones: generally little to none at all.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
hahaha. you have a lot to learn. i dont want to play the study game with you, nor do i feel the need to cite references from my books. do whatever you want, you arent doing anything wrong, just not understanding whats going on behind the scenes. good night.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Exact opposite. Your body does think its starving - and therefore starts to pack away as much as it can as fat because it doesn't know how long it's going to be before you can resume proper eating.

Are you sure about that(got any sources)? It seems pretty counter-intuitive since to pack away fat the body would need to consume some. Reducing a calorie intake that drastically would basically give you enough energy to spend your day, especially considering you'd use those three days to your cardio exercices.

I dunno, I've seen some amazing results with people who used that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are you sure about that(got any sources)? It seems pretty counter-intuitive since to pack away fat the body would need to consume some. Reducing a calorie intake that drastically would basically give you enough energy to spend your day, especially considering you'd use those three days to your cardio exercices.

Okay, really, you cut your calories by 25% and then literally double your caloric expenditure?

I dunno, I've seen some amazing results with people who used that.

Yeah, no **** they lost weight. They probably gained it right back too, because crash diets like that don't work. Your body does not immediately start eating fat the moment you start starving it. It goes for something far more nutrient rich and expendable, which is your muscle. Anyone who knows anything about endurance or survival etc... knows this. I'm not talking down to you, merely stating it is what it is. And really, how much weight did these people lose in 3 days? You can't physically lose enough to make a difference in that short of a period and be healthy. A lot of it could be water weight, though.

It is not "counter-intuitive" it's just a survival mechanism built into your body.

hahaha. you have a lot to learn. i dont want to play the study game with you, nor do i feel the need to cite references from my books. do whatever you want, you arent doing anything wrong, just not understanding whats going on behind the scenes. good night.

Nice cop out sweetheart :thumbu:

ResidentAlien*

lol- what a rooster match this turned into:biglaugh:

I found a thread about a year ago that changed my lifestyle, maybe it will help the OP.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doctor-ice/47748-muscles-strength-other-common-health-stuff.html

Started by a guy, in his 40s- "mont" he's a goalie from Denmark, in amazing shape. If you care to dig a little you will see what I mean. Anyway, pretty much the identical thread there( but a little more on topic;))

Worth the read and it will take you where you want to go.

If you take the advice in that thread you can not go wrong.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Okay, really, you cut your calories by 25% and then literally double your caloric expenditure?

Yeah, no **** they lost weight. They probably gained it right back too, because crash diets like that don't work. Your body does not immediately start eating fat the moment you start starving it. It goes for something far more nutrient rich and expendable, which is your muscle. Anyone who knows anything about endurance or survival etc... knows this. I'm not talking down to you, merely stating it is what it is. And really, how much weight did these people lose in 3 days? You can't physically lose enough to make a difference in that short of a period and be healthy. A lot of it could be water weight, though.

It is not "counter-intuitive" it's just a survival mechanism built into your body.

Well, that's fine, I honestly don't care, I'm in splendid shape and have my own program that works well. I just saw some good results for people on that program after 3 to 6 months.

vcx*

I gained like 20lbs during the holidays and went from 170 to 190 and within a month i went back down to 175ish. All i did was walk around a lot and started to do this military workout that my cousin showed me.

I am starting to get more bulk and i don't really want to look massive, i like looking trim but cut. But i suggest walking A LOT. I run like 2k every day, i would do 4 if it weren't for my flat feet.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I'm not going to get in the argument for which is better for fat burning, HIIT or Low Intensity Cardio, but I know for a fact that HIIT is better for hockey players, period. It trains your body for bursts of intensity, 30-45 seconds, which is perfect for a hockey shift. The resting period also trains your body for quick recovery for your next shift/interval.

I've read articles that actually mention Low Intensity Cardio is counter productive for hockey players, because it trains your heart and cardio vascular system for long, paced performances. Joggers benefit from this, not hockey players.

Oh, and I agree with XaviorX on this point - your body does eat away at muscle over fat on an empty stomach. I've been working out for nearly 10 years, both with athletes and body builders and its common knowledge. Never exercise without any food intake before hand (not RIGHT before, mind you - its relative to the individual, but I usually give myself at least 30-45 min)

Check this link out on the theory's behind both.

Last edited:

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
Over this summer I lost about 20 lbs. What worked for me was going to the gym 5 times a week. All I did at the Gym was run on an Olliptical for 30 minutes each day (burning about 400-500 calories). Also it may be hard at first, but the more u go to the gym it actually becomes habit forming. You actually dont feel good unless you go to the GYM.

Also eat breakfast, its the most important meal of the day. What I did was skip out on Lunch and eat just Breakfast and Dinner and maybe snacks in between. It actually was reallllly easy to lose weight.

Unfortunately you cant lose weight specifically to one area, its not like lifting weights u lose weight all over when u work out.

Some tips that helped me.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Over this summer I lost about 20 lbs. What worked for me was going to the gym 5 times a week. All I did at the Gym was run on an Olliptical for 30 minutes each day (burning about 400-500 calories). Also it may be hard at first, but the more u go to the gym it actually becomes habit forming. You actually dont feel good unless you go to the GYM.

Also eat breakfast, its the most important meal of the day. What I did was skip out on Lunch and eat just Breakfast and Dinner and maybe snacks in between. It actually was reallllly easy to lose weight.

Unfortunately you cant lose weight specifically to one area, its not like lifting weights u lose weight all over when u work out.

Some tips that helped me.

Aint that the truth.

I'm in the gym 6 days a week now and if it miss two days in a row or even 2 days in 5 days I feel like crap.

Just part of my day now and I don't dread it.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
lol- what a rooster match this turned into:biglaugh:

I found a thread about a year ago that changed my lifestyle, maybe it will help the OP.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doctor-ice/47748-muscles-strength-other-common-health-stuff.html

Started by a guy, in his 40s- "mont" he's a goalie from Denmark, in amazing shape. If you care to dig a little you will see what I mean. Anyway, pretty much the identical thread there( but a little more on topic;))

Worth the read and it will take you where you want to go.

If you take the advice in that thread you can not go wrong.

good stuff.
the best is that people think this information is mind blowing or some puzzle solved. people ate like this for thousands of years with wild meats, wild plants and water. theyre called hunter-gatherers.

wow, how dumb are/were those people hey?
:sarcasm:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
There may be ways of doing it quicker and such, but the hard truth is, diet and hard work are what makes you lose fat. I don't care what way you do it, that's all it is to it.

Don't stuff your face with junk food, stop drinking soda and all that crap. Limit alcohol consumption (of course a glass of wine at dinner isn't a big deal). Eat healthier. Doesn't mean that you have to stop eating good food and eat stuff that tastes like ass. However, smaller portions is one important factor. No reason to eat two full dishes of pasta for dinner. No reason to go out with your friends and eat 12 buffalo wings plus a hamburger, fries and a taco (yes I have a friend who does this but yet expects to lose weight). If you're hungry between meals eat a fruit or some veggies. Snack on some carrots or have an apple or orange or something. Much better than grabbing a bag of chips. To me dinner is sacred, you don't touch it. Just don't eat too much and you'll be fine. A plate of pasta and a couple pieces of meat along with salad to me is a very nice meal. Been eating like that my whole life and I'm not ever going to stop.

Also working out with dedication. If you work out twice a week and wonder why you aren't getting leaner or stronger, well, yeah that's why. It has to be part of your everyday routine or at least you have to do it 4,5,6 days a week (weight training & cardio). If you're just lifting weights you won't lose much fat, and if you just do cardio you won't be doing much for yourself either because more muscle burns more calories.

There isn't one set way of doing it. Many people do it in many different ways. If you give up after a week then yeah, you won't do jack. If you give up after a month, same idea. People look for the quick fix and give up after a few weeks. People in the old days weren't as fat as we are today because they didn't sit on their ***** all day starring at a computer screen. They did real work all the time and it helped them burn off calories. Today we don't do that, so going to the gym or playing sports is the only way you can burn those calories.

To me, I just want to get stronger. I have a small belly, but it doesn't bother me, I don't need to have a six pack and look like a model to be happy with myself. As long as my belly doesn't stick out past my belt and I'm fit and healthy which I consider myself then it's all good. Then again as an Italian it's hard to change your diet much. On the bright side I eat home cooked meals almost everyday so I don't get all the CRAP that you get when you eat outside. Eating out a lot is killer, stay away from it. If you want to go out for lunch grab subway, that's probably the healthiest fast food you can find. A slice of pizza once a week I don't think would kill you, but that's just my opinion. I don't feel that you have to change your entire lifestyle to be healthy, but cutting junk food and exercising 4 - 6 days a week I think will get people in that right direction.

Of course I can just be saying everything that goes against what it really takes to get in shape, but I'm just giving a realistic point of view instead of telling people to stop eating everything they love and just eat cardboard food all day. Let's get real now.

Last edited:

ResidentAlien*

good stuff.
the best is that people think this information is mind blowing or some puzzle solved. people ate like this for thousands of years with wild meats, wild plants and water. theyre called hunter-gatherers.

wow, how dumb are/were those people hey?
:sarcasm:
Very true.

To address the other post about "not having to eat cardboard food" you are so right! In fact, once you learn how to prepare real food, break your addiction to sugar and greasy food you will find how great tasting eating healthy is, at least it worked that way for me. It's funny when I go to the grocery store, almost nothing I buy anymore comes in a box or is packaged or frozen.

Here is a test, next time you are at a grocery store, look at all the obese people and check there carts, you will find mostly processed foods, there is this place there called "the produce section" it's pretty fancy:sarcasm:
Sounds a little mean but hey, love hurts baby:D

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Very true.

To address the other post about "not having to eat cardboard food" you are so right! In fact, once you learn how to prepare real food, break your addiction to sugar and greasy food you will find how great tasting eating healthy is, at least it worked that way for me. It's funny when I go to the grocery store, almost nothing I buy anymore comes in a box or is packaged or frozen.

Here is a test, next time you are at a grocery store, look at all the obese people and check there carts, you will find mostly processed foods, there is this place there called "the produce section" it's pretty fancy:sarcasm:
Sounds a little mean but hey, love hurts baby:D

Well there's nothing wrong with a frozen piece of chicken, pork, beef or something but I'm just busting your chops ;).

The problem is, odds are that most people don't even know how to cook a nice sauce or know how many different ways you can cook chicken which aren't really that hard. Most people buy sauce in a jar (which is a disgrace by the way) or buy lean cuisine or some junk like that and expect to lose weight. Many people don't know how to cook and/or claim they don't have the time so they get frozen dinners or takeout, it's sad but true.

Rochester22

Oct 22, 2006
Webster, NY
for the past 3 weeks I have been eating oatmeal every morning, a healthy choice dinner around 11am, another healthy choice dinner around 2pm, and a small dinner(not healthy choice) around 6:30pm.

I have lost 4 pounds, and I would like to lose about 6 more.

I don't exercise at all, but I am losing some weight, you guys think I should do some sort of exercise, and cut back on those healthy choice dinners?

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
There may be ways of doing it quicker and such, but the hard truth is, diet and hard work are what makes you lose fat. I don't care what way you do it, that's all it is to it.

Don't stuff your face with junk food, stop drinking soda and all that crap. Limit alcohol consumption (of course a glass of wine at dinner isn't a big deal). Eat healthier. Doesn't mean that you have to stop eating good food and eat stuff that tastes like ass. However, smaller portions is one important factor. No reason to eat two full dishes of pasta for dinner. No reason to go out with your friends and eat 12 buffalo wings plus a hamburger, fries and a taco (yes I have a friend who does this but yet expects to lose weight). If you're hungry between meals eat a fruit or some veggies. Snack on some carrots or have an apple or orange or something. Much better than grabbing a bag of chips. To me dinner is sacred, you don't touch it. Just don't eat too much and you'll be fine. A plate of pasta and a couple pieces of meat along with salad to me is a very nice meal. Been eating like that my whole life and I'm not ever going to stop.

Also working out with dedication. If you work out twice a week and wonder why you aren't getting leaner or stronger, well, yeah that's why. It has to be part of your everyday routine or at least you have to do it 4,5,6 days a week (weight training & cardio). If you're just lifting weights you won't lose much fat, and if you just do cardio you won't be doing much for yourself either because more muscle burns more calories.

There isn't one set way of doing it. Many people do it in many different ways. If you give up after a week then yeah, you won't do jack. If you give up after a month, same idea. People look for the quick fix and give up after a few weeks. People in the old days weren't as fat as we are today because they didn't sit on their ***** all day starring at a computer screen. They did real work all the time and it helped them burn off calories. Today we don't do that, so going to the gym or playing sports is the only way you can burn those calories.

To me, I just want to get stronger. I have a small belly, but it doesn't bother me, I don't need to have a six pack and look like a model to be happy with myself. As long as my belly doesn't stick out past my belt and I'm fit and healthy which I consider myself then it's all good. Then again as an Italian it's hard to change your diet much. On the bright side I eat home cooked meals almost everyday so I don't get all the CRAP that you get when you eat outside. Eating out a lot is killer, stay away from it. If you want to go out for lunch grab subway, that's probably the healthiest fast food you can find. A slice of pizza once a week I don't think would kill you, but that's just my opinion. I don't feel that you have to change your entire lifestyle to be healthy, but cutting junk food and exercising 4 - 6 days a week I think will get people in that right direction.

Of course I can just be saying everything that goes against what it really takes to get in shape, but I'm just giving a realistic point of view instead of telling people to stop eating everything they love and just eat cardboard food all day. Let's get real now.
That's a pretty good practical approach to it.

There's been some good tips amongst the arguing over "what is the most efficient...", but many people who will be reading the advice likely won't have the discipline to jump into such focussed routines in the gym and in the kitchen. I always recommend that individuals start small and always seek to make progress.

Self discipline, with diet and workout, is the biggest factor in the equation. Once the discipline is developed, it's a lot easier to tweak things: ie - strive for a more efficient workout or to cut out certain food products that one would never think they could live without. The mental aspect is also a large part of the battle. So many people are defeated after not seeing immediate results that they quit and/or revert back to bad habits. But they fail to realize that if it were that easy, everyone would look like a Greek god shirtless.

Last edited:

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Since I'm still in the thread...
for the past 3 weeks I have been eating oatmeal every morning, a healthy choice dinner around 11am, another healthy choice dinner around 2pm, and a small dinner(not healthy choice) around 6:30pm.
Oatmeal is just about the best morning meal you can eat. I'm iffy on speed meals (frozen dinners, hot pockets, etc...) as they're usually packed with preservatives and sodium. Not sure what you were eating before, if it was a lot of fast food then it's definitely an improvement, and you'll see palpable results, but in the end I'd recommend striving to cut those out and eat more fresh foods. Four meals is a good start, away from the conventional "3 square meal" conventional wisdom, but I'd recommend trying to have a before bed meal with high protein (cottage cheese, almonds, skim milk and/or casein protein shake, or egg whites). This helps keeps your body constantly metabolizing throughout the night.

A protein shake will also be beneficial to slide into your day somehow as a meal.

I have lost 4 pounds, and I would like to lose about 6 more.
I don't want to slag you, but don't put too much stock into what the scale says. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day based on how much water and food are in your body (mostly the former). Focus more on how you're feeling (more energy) and how you're looking (ie - in front of the mirror, clothes fitting better, etc.) If you improve your diet, even without working out, you will see results eventually.

I don't exercise at all, but I am losing some weight, you guys think I should do some sort of exercise, and cut back on those healthy choice dinners?
Definitely try and incorporate exercise in your day somehow. Even something as little as pushups and situps at home, or walking once or twice at work on breaks, is better than nothing.

Good luck in your quest though! :)

Rochester22

Oct 22, 2006
Webster, NY
Since I'm still in the thread...

Oatmeal is just about the best morning meal you can eat. I'm iffy on speed meals (frozen dinners, hot pockets, etc...) as they're usually packed with preservatives and sodium. Not sure what you were eating before, if it was a lot of fast food then it's definitely an improvement, and you'll see palpable results, but in the end I'd recommend striving to cut those out and eat more fresh foods. Four meals is a good start, away from the conventional "3 square meal" conventional wisdom, but I'd recommend trying to have a before bed meal with high protein (cottage cheese, almonds, skim milk and/or casein protein shake, or egg whites). This helps keeps your body constantly metabolizing throughout the night.

A protein shake will also be beneficial to slide into your day somehow as a meal.

I don't want to slag you, but don't put too much stock into what the scale says. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day based on how much water and food are in your body (mostly the former). Focus more on how you're feeling (more energy) and how you're looking (ie - in front of the mirror, clothes fitting better, etc.) If you improve your diet, even without working out, you will see results eventually.

Definitely try and incorporate exercise in your day somehow. Even something as little as pushups and situps at home, or walking once or twice at work on breaks, is better than nothing.

Good luck in your quest though! :)

Appreciate it....
Yeah my main goal was to trim down a bit to fit into my jeans that when I bought them were loose, and when i started this "diet" they were tight.:sarcasm:.

I do have a workout plan I made a couple months ago.
it pretty much consists of

warm up:
50 3 count jumping jacks
3 sets of 20 sit ups
3 sets of 20 push ups
3 sets of 20 squats
2 minutes of non stop arm circles
leg lifts for 1 minute
scissor kicks
and some stretching

and then the actual work out consists of basically a bench press, leg lifts i think you call them, more squats, pull ups, and a few other muscle exercises.

I really hate doing cardio work, and would love to avoid it at all costs, but without cardio will this type of workout give me enough of a daily exercise program?

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I really hate doing cardio work, and would love to avoid it at all costs, but without cardio will this type of workout give me enough of a daily exercise program?
Like I said, anything is better than nothing. That said, I don't know how much activity you were previously used to.

Just on face value, if your goal is merely trimming down, doing something like you proposed 4-5x/week will probably get you to where you want to be. If you want to take it to the next level you'll definitely want to incorporate cardio and a more focussed workout.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It will take off a little fat. But you need serious resistance training with either weights or some heavy cardio work in order to build up some muscle tone and take your fat loss to the next level.

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey

As others have said, yes, you'll be better off with this (sans the cardio) than doing nothing, but throw in cardio and you'll see a difference. I hate doing cardio as well, but I go through it. As much as I don't like doing it, I feel great afterwards. I say try to get through some cardio; you won't regret it

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha

Great post buddy, loved reading what you had to say.

What's your opinion on my current situation. I almost never eat fat, only whole grain pasta and bread, potatoes always baked with no sodium or butter on it, plenty of tomatoes, brocoli, lean meats(no ground beef or anything), salads, oranges... I eat well.

That said, since I've got a pretty bad back I can't do resistance training for now, I've been going to the pool 5 days a week for about 1hour each time.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Appreciate it....
Yeah my main goal was to trim down a bit to fit into my jeans that when I bought them were loose, and when i started this "diet" they were tight.:sarcasm:.

I do have a workout plan I made a couple months ago.
it pretty much consists of

warm up:
50 3 count jumping jacks
3 sets of 20 sit ups
3 sets of 20 push ups
3 sets of 20 squats
2 minutes of non stop arm circles
leg lifts for 1 minute
scissor kicks
and some stretching

and then the actual work out consists of basically a bench press, leg lifts i think you call them, more squats, pull ups, and a few other muscle exercises.

That is one hell of a warm up, that would take you at least 30 minutes and for someone who is just starting to work out would be exhausted after that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That is one hell of a warm up, that would take you at least 30 minutes and for someone who is just starting to work out would be exhausted after that.

5 minutes on a cardio machine and some stretching is all you need, apart from a warmup set for each exercise.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
5 minutes on a cardio machine and some stretching is all you need, apart from a warmup set for each exercise.

Agree, get the heart going with a 5 minute jog then some stretching is really all you need to do before starting a workout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad