How To Lose Belly Fat

brawllover8

I am getting ready early for summer hockey camps and i was wondering how to lose

my beer belly.

I used to be doing crunchs like crazy until i found out that doesn't work,

so i have now started eating less, i started skipping breakfast and lunch and only eating dinner,

would this work or should i try something else?

and what are other ways to lose fat and get good abs instead of eating less and doing ab crunchs all day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
That is the worst thing to do. Not eating breakfast and lunch will slow up your metabolism and actually gain more weight to the stomach and you will not have any energy. What you should do is start eating healthy food, don't eat large meals. Break them up, this will speed up your metabolism.

Now onto the fat portion, you are right crunches won't do a whole lot if you have fat on you already. It will build muscle up under it. What you need to do is cardio, that is the only way to burn fat. Enough crunches would probably do it but no one has time for that. Start running 4 times a week or skipping for an hour a night. Both are really good for cardio.

If you want to get abs you will have to put the work into it. They don't just show up.

brawllover8

That is the worst thing to do. Not eating breakfast and lunch will slow up your metabolism and actually gain more weight to the stomach and you will not have any energy. What you should do is start eating healthy food, don't eat large meals. Break them up, this will speed up your metabolism.

Now onto the fat portion, you are right crunches won't do a whole lot if you have fat on you already. It will build muscle up under it. What you need to do is cardio, that is the only way to burn fat. Enough crunches would probably do it but no one has time for that. Start running 4 times a week or skipping for an hour a night. Both are really good for cardio.

If you want to get abs you will have to put the work into it. They don't just show up.

Ok thanks man,

i usually go for a run on the cardio bike for 5 minutes to warm up, then i do weight lifting, then i finish off with 10 minutes on the cardio bike.

i usually take 1 to 1 and a half hour to workout, i was thinking i should do more,

and i was thinking of focusing on just abs because once i get abs i can keep maintaining them while i workout my other body too.

sometimes it just feels bad seeing other people with abs and they don't even work them out very much,

i think it's either a gene thing or they just have less fat on there body.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I am getting ready early for summer hockey camps and i was wondering how to lose

my beer belly.

so i have now started eating less, i started skipping breakfast and lunch and only eating dinner,

and what are other ways to lose fat and get good abs instead of eating less and doing ab crunchs all day?
Do your cardio on an empty stomach then eat a small portion of oatmeal. Doing cardio before breakfast gets the metabolism going like nothing else. Eat lunch. By only eating once a day your body stores more fat than eating 3 meals a day. Eat 4-6 small meals a day. I you watch you fat and carb intake its not too hard to lose weight. Just keep in mind the gut is always the last thing to go and takes the most work.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
10 minutes of cardio? Takes at least 20 minutes to get your heart rate up to the level it needs to be to start burning fat. So if you're on the bike for 30 minutes you did 10 minutes of cardio.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
What do you suggest for those of us who work for a living and simply don't have the time for more than 2-3 meals a day?

You can still have your three primary meals each day and supllement it with snacks in between. Start with a hi fiber cereal or prtein shake/soothie in the morning. Eat a well balanced lunch and dinner. At mid morning and mid afternoon you can have healthy snacks. I take a protein/meal replacement bar in my briefcase each day. This is my mid morning snack. I also keep a can of mixed nuts in my desk drawer and eat a couple handfuls in the afternoon. You can make it work.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Peanuts and mixed nuts are also good snacks. Stay away from breads as much as possible and if you do eat breads only eat whole grains. I'd also avoid large amounts of fruits and fruit juices.

For the work out, if you only have 1.5 hours, do 1/2 cardio, 1/2 resistance.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Answer: Walk everywhere.

Oh, and cutting down on soda, bread, and desserts.

Try Snap Peas. They have a sweet taste and are addicting to eat.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
10 minutes of cardio? Takes at least 20 minutes to get your heart rate up to the level it needs to be to start burning fat. So if you're on the bike for 30 minutes you did 10 minutes of cardio.

Agreed. Plus, if you have access to an elliptical trainer it's a better workout than riding a stationary bike. The more muscles you involve in your cardio workout the more calories you'll burn. Bike = hands on handlebars and little upper body motioin. Elliptical trainer = arms and legs moving at the same time.

Analyzer*

Damn, skipping can help just for an hour? Hmm, I might have to go buy a skipping rope.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
and i was thinking of focusing on just abs because once i get abs i can keep maintaining them while i workout my other body too.

sometimes it just feels bad seeing other people with abs and they don't even work them out very much,

Well, just because someone doesn't do crunches doesn't mean they don't work their abs. Just by skating a lot you'll use your core muscles for balance and they'll get stronger as a result. Also, your daily job can have an impact -- jobs that require heavy lifting, even just staying on your feet all day will challenge your muscles more than if you sit behind a desk. I gradually packed on 40 extra pounds after switching to an office job and I have less physical stamina.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
A lot of good advice here. Keep throwing the kindling on (healthy small meals) to keep the big logs (stored fat) burning. Avoid putting on any new big logs (large meals) and stop eating altogether later in the evening.

Keep the fire going.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Well, just because someone doesn't do crunches doesn't mean they don't work their abs. Just by skating a lot you'll use your core muscles for balance and they'll get stronger as a result. Also, your daily job can have an impact -- jobs that require heavy lifting, even just staying on your feet all day will challenge your muscles more than if you sit behind a desk. I gradually packed on 40 extra pounds after switching to an office job and I have less physical stamina.

That is exactly what happened to me. I worked in the delivery section of a bookstore, basically lifting and bringing in a ton of extremely heavy boxes of books all day. That job, plus some light lifting at the gym got me in the best shape of my life. However, after changing my job and working in an office I put on the dreaded beer belly. I am gradually getting rid of it now, and thankfully it isn't that noticeable since the bookstore job helped build up my back and shoulders somewhat. I just thought your post summed up my situation with fitness exactly.

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
Buy a health food dinner. and than make your meals all that size. honestly it works. my doctor told me it and it has worked. cut back on the portion size and make it less fatty and unhealthy and you will start to see the difference. also add in a weekday mourning jog. i try to walk or jog in the mourning but itsbeen so cold it just is not gonna happen.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
http://www.planters.com/trailmix/details.aspx?variety=0&cat=z

I get a couple bags of these at the grocery store & mix them together in a plastic container & munch on them during the day when i get hungry. I get the fruit & nut mix and the nut seeds & raisins. Two bags of each mixed together lasts all week.

Nice try. But nuts are bad for you if you snack on them all day, and eat them in excess. They are nothing but fat. Very little protein.

What do you suggest for those of us who work for a living and simply don't have the time for more than 2-3 meals a day?

Pack some meals, or buy protein bars/shakes and bring them with you.

Nice try, but you're all wrong. Low intensity cardio, like that of riding a stationary bike or elliptical, isn't going to burn anywhere near as much fat as high intensity interval training. And I've got a HIIT trainer for you, it's called a park or some asphalt and tennis shoes. If you could get a six pack by sitting on a bike all day and peddling going nowhere everyone would have one. 10 minutes of HIIT is really damn effective. In fact you aren't supposed to do more than 15-20 mins of it.

Do your cardio on an empty stomach then eat a small portion of oatmeal. Doing cardio before breakfast gets the metabolism going like nothing else. I you watch you fat and carb intake its not too hard to lose weight. Just keep in mind the gut is always the last thing to go and takes the most work.

Bzzzt. Wrong. Never do cardio on an empty stomach. Unless you want your body to eat your muscle alive. Fats and carbs are amazing, and good for you, if you eat the RIGHT ones. Don't cut back, just switch to complex carbs and healthy fats.

DOING A 1,000 Crunches a day will NOT get you abs faster. Abs showing through (we all have a sixpack) is a matter of low body fat %. You CAN do crunches and the like for definition and whatnot, but they won't just magically appear. You're better off spending your time doing crunches on benching or squatting, or running.

A lot of good advice here. Keep throwing the kindling on (healthy small meals) to keep the big logs (stored fat) burning. Avoid putting on any new big logs (large meals) and stop eating altogether later in the evening.

Keep the fire going.

For the average joe? Sure. For an athlete/someone looking to gain muscle? hell no. The OP needs a before bed protein shake or something like cottage cheese. Otherwise you'd be starving your body for near 12 hours 7pm to 7am and that's not exactly conducive to building muscle.

Peanuts and mixed nuts are also good snacks. Stay away from breads as much as possible and if you do eat breads only eat whole grains. I'd also avoid large amounts of fruits and fruit juices.

For the work out, if you only have 1.5 hours, do 1/2 cardio, 1/2 resistance.

Never spend more than 45 minutes doing exercises. Weightlifting or otherwise. Your body goes into a panic mode, hormonally. Keep it simple, keep it effective, keep it timely.

Last edited:

ower

Sep 14, 2007
SEA by way of Tempe

my beer belly.

lots of good advice already.. but I'm going to address your mail topic

Yeah.. crunches don't work on fat, you can't spot reduce. You lose fat all over not just in one spot... Crunches will build the muscle up under the fat.. but if you don't do anything to get rid of the fat you're going to have a gut with muscle underneath. Now.. building muscle will help burn fat but as others said, you need cardio.. Skipping rope I've found is the best form.. If you haven't done it for awhile it might get frustrating but I guarentee just getting 10 minutes done will be a struggle until you get use it to. You're going to be starting and stopping a bit.

When eating you wanna try to get all your carbs in early in the day.. except for the days you will be working out.. avoid trying to do high protein diets as they will wreck your kidneys. If you eat before you work out try to eat at least an hour before you work out.. you don't want to be digesting while working out. As someone else mentioned.. doing cardio on a empty stomach is good.. Drink lots of water.. stay away from sodium and sports drinks unless you're doing high intensity stuff.. that stuff is loaded with sodium and that makes you retain water.. avoid white stuff.. Salt, sugar, flour, white rice.. Eat brown rice.. and I mean good rice.. not that crap brown minute rice garbage. There are calculators out there that will take you current weight, amount of activity you do and give you a good measure on what your daily calorie intake should be.. I think when I was lifting 3 days a week I was doing a cutting diet and was between 1700-1850 calories a day.. and when i was eating "clean" that was hard for me to do... I was always 700-1000 shy.. I felt like I was having to force myself to eat.. I was using a macronutrient breakdowns of 50/35/15 ... meaning my total intake of all my meals for the day was 50% protein, 35%Carbs and 15% fat

Here's a pretty good article talking about it http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/leah1.htm .. the site is pretty good too.. lots of great articles on fat loss and understanding nutrition.. which sadly thanks to the great public education I received when i was younger I was pretty ignorant on :biglaugh:

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
What about thigh fat? Because I got a small gut and jell-o like thigh fat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad