Speculation: How to fix the right side D?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Top 4 potential besides Chabot who is a top 2

Brannstrom
Wolanin
Thomson
JBD
Jaros

all these guys are really young and have a lot of growing development wise to do. I think we the crop is good. It will take some time.

That group looks to me to be weak & soft, a regular season defence, but not a playoff defence, but we'll see how it plays out. Really hoping they take some size at forward with their next two selections. I know Thompson is good & you have mentioned him on here several times, although some seem to think that Korczak was the better D on that team. I just don't want to see Ottawa get pushed around by bigger teams, you have to know that these small/soft defencemen will get targeted when they get to the NHL.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Not a
That group looks to me to be weak & soft, a regular season defence, but not a playoff defence, but we'll see how it plays out. Really hoping they take some size at forward with their next two selections. I know Thompson is good & you have mentioned him on here several times, although some seem to think that Korczak was the better D on that team. I just don't want to see Ottawa get pushed around by bigger teams, you have to know that these small/soft defencemen will get targeted when they get to the NHL.
Not always the case. Some of the issue is there are not any puck moving defensemen with Chabot being the exception. Karlsson wasn't the most physical guy but he was able to transition and always was looking for the outlet. The just have to get the puck out of the zone and hopefully they can find the right combination.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not a

Not always the case. Some of the issue is there are not any puck moving defensemen with Chabot being the exception. Karlsson wasn't the most physical guy but he was able to transition and always was looking for the outlet. The just have to get the puck out of the zone and hopefully they can find the right combination.
Ottawa has plenty of PMD what they don't have is big tough skilled defencemen who can also skate. Brannstrom, Wolanin, Chabot & JBD can all move the puck. EK, the guy who has never won a cup.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
We’re building a D that will be excellent at moving the puck, driving possession, and chipping in points. I’m pleasantly surprised with the direction Pierre has taken in drafting defencemen. It might be a bit soft but if you have the puck 55-60% of the time that’s way less important.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Yeah i agree with you.

Hopefully the Senators can package some picks, or the prospects they collect with those picks to address some needs going forward. If Melnyk is serious about competing it has to happen.

IF they just hoard picks and prospects, trade them away for more picks and prospects we'll know he just wnats the Coyotes North.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ottawa has plenty of PMD what they don't have is big tough skilled defencemen who can also skate. Brannstrom, Wolanin, Chabot & JBD can all move the puck. EK, the guy who has never won a cup.

I agree with this. I don't think you can have all the same type of player or the same type of wannabe player. I would have liked Matt Robertson for that reason. He's not a RHD so the way he helps fix the RHD is to give him a partner that can play D and has some size . If it were me I would like to see the pairs patterned after Methot Karlsson... One Defensive Dman that can skate, be physical and move the puck up with a good pass and one jack rabbit with offensive skills, high Iq and lots of possession skills in all 3 zones.

Reactions: aragorn

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Jaros is the definition of a big tough skilled defenceman who can skate. Tough to say what his ultimate upside will be, but I think it's safe to say he'll have a role on this team moving forward.

That EK comment is such a stupid cheapshot too, you know who else doesn't have a cup? Brent Burns.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I watched some highlights on Thompson,that kid has a bomb of a shot....Which does add to what we need on the right side to pair up with the OFD on the left...But like JBD he is likely years away,and doesnt give us the grit we would need...Jaros is important piece for this but we do need more....Hopefully we can draft or develop this,because trading for it would likely seem very expensive

Reactions: aragorn

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
We’re building a D that will be excellent at moving the puck, driving possession, and chipping in points. I’m pleasantly surprised with the direction Pierre has taken in drafting defencemen. It might be a bit soft but if you have the puck 55-60% of the time that’s way less important.
Then how come it was the worst in the league this past season? I get tired of the drafting and building philosophy that seems to be what Pierre is praying the fan base buys. So I guess the rebuild is going strong and everyone just hang tight.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Jaros is the definition of a big tough skilled defenceman who can skate. Tough to say what his ultimate upside will be, but I think it's safe to say he'll have a role on this team moving forward.

That EK comment is such a stupid cheapshot too, you know who else doesn't have a cup? Brent Burns.
My only issue with him is his hockey sense aka decision making ability . I think it will be interesting to see how he processes the defensive scheme next season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My only issue with him is his hockey sense aka decision making ability . I think it will be interesting to see how he processes the defensive scheme next season.
Hopefully he focuses on his d game from now on

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Then how come it was the worst in the league this past season? I get tired of the drafting and building philosophy that seems to be what Pierre is praying the fan base buys. So I guess the rebuild is going strong and everyone just hang tight.

Because last season, some key pieces in JBD, Brannstrom, Wolanin, and Thomas only played a combined 32 games (almost exclusively Wolanin)? Falk, Burgdoerfer, Goloubef, Englund and Elliot combined for 23 games and have zero to do with our future.

Last year:

Chabot-DeMelo
Lajoie-Ceci
Boro/Harpur-Jaros

Future we are building towards:

Chabot-JBD
Brannstrom-Thomas
Wolanin/Lajoie-Jaros

I mean, pushing out Wideman, Harpur, and Boro with guys that are high pedigree top 4 potential seems like a good thing, Ceci moving on seems inevitable as well.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brainstorm is my main concern growing on D, He seems like a mismatch target for bigger teams with a forecheck identity.

Good news is finding defensive D is way easier then puck movers, we drafted the puck movers and now it’s time to stabilize the D with your classic PK / end of game / net front battler - Adam Foote, Chris Phillips, Jay McKee is what we need on LD to create a nice balance.

Colton Parayko dominated 5 on 5 play this playoffs, need a dude like that

Reactions: Senateurs

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

How long ago do you think the rebuild started?Vegas just grabbed Methot 2 years ago.
I must admit its been a long 2 years. The Duchene trade lost a year so that sucks

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Brainstorm is my main concern growing on D, He seems like a mismatch target for bigger teams with a forecheck identity.

Every analyst I have heard has said that Brannstom has the remarkable ability to slip past hits. Hes fast and agile and not an easy target to hit.

*side note, these video ads are freaking annoying. In the middle of typing it takes you away to show you the garbage.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Because only one of our future projected top four D were actually on the team?

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
How long ago do you think the rebuild started?Vegas just grabbed Methot 2 years ago.
I must admit its been a long 2 years. The Duchene trade lost a year so that sucks
Yes, a long 2 years I think if it was any other team there would be confidence and patience but with this owner and GM it is hard to say Ottawa is still unwilling to pay players their worth even if you agree with it or not its what the market bears. Too many excellent Ottawa players lost. I look at this year as the final year in the "rebuild" they need to at least finish middle of the pack.​

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yes, a long 2 years I think if it was any other team there would be confidence and patience but with this owner and GM it is hard to say Ottawa is still unwilling to pay players their worth even if you agree with it or not its what the market bears. Too many excellent Ottawa players lost. I look at this year as the final year in the "rebuild" they need to at least finish middle of the pack.​

They are drafting top 4 not finishing middle of the pack

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Get ready for last place. It's happening, it could be even worse than last year, and the following year is likely to be more of the same.

What's happened here is ridiculous and born from a pile of lies, but there's nothing at this point that can help the roster being sent out to die again.

At least the 1st round pick wasn't dealt away, so there's something mildly exciting to pay attention for.

Nothing is guaranteed either. The rebuild could just as easily flounder and face crippling financial restrictions before it really gets off the ground.

Reactions: Multigrain

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
The good thing about rebuild? The expansion draft will likely not cost someone big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad