Speculation: How to fix the right side D?

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Now that Karlsson has been signed by SJS, what's the Sens long term looking like for the right side D?

I know that we have Jaros and JBD in the pipeline. What's our 3-5 year defence looking like?

Personally I'd love to trade for Subban and have him mentor JBD and Chabot (who doesn't really need a mentor). Subban would be a great influence in the community and on the ice.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Have to draft some better RHD,or use one of the great young group we have on the left to facilitate a trade

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
1) Acquire a time machine to go back to the summer of 2017
2) Re-sign EK as soon as humanly possible
3) Trade Cody Ceci at a higher value than the team will get now
4) Draft Henri Jokiharju over Shane Bowers

(More) Realistically...?

Hope Brannstrom can flourish on his off-side and hope JBD has a Chabot like ascension.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Wait 3 to 5 years hoping that whoever we draft actually pans out
Hope that coaching can have a significant benefit
Sign "core veteran" Cody Ceci for 5 years at 5.5 per - Dorion. Probably.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yup. No matter what, there's going to be holes in the lineup because of the budget.
Cant win much of anything ,when we always have to deal with this......Some think you can spend more wisely ,but when there isnt enough money to go around ,there just isnt enough

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Draft this year, Jaros is a keeper, JBD is coming, DeMelo is a placeholder.
UFA next summer.
Ceci, and Harper, and Boro should be gone
Takes a very special talent to play that off side.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Cant win much of anything ,when we always have to deal with this......Some think you can spend more wisely ,but when there isnt enough money to go around ,there just isnt enough
Yup. If this is the reality in Ottawa, then it's the reality, whatever, but can we please at least stop pretending there's hope and some amazing light at the end of the tunnel?!?!

There's no chance of success for this franchise with the limitations it's under, justified or not. Them shooting themselves in the foot constantly just compounds the problem.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Since they probably have no shot at making the playoffs this yr & hopefully end up as a lottery team they can try lots of different options to fix the right side or fix the defence overall.

1. I'd try Ceci on the first pairing with Chabot in a PMD role to see if they can jell together.
2. I'd place Jaros on the right side on the second pairing with Wolanin to see how those two play together.
3. The 3rd pairing is IMO what should be fixed. I assume that both UFA defencemen Boro & DeMello may get moved at some point next season leading up to the trade deadline opening up a spot on D.
4. If they are able to draft Seider RD he may be able to finish the yr after the trade deadline on the 3rd pairing RD to see how he handles that with Harpur. Those two could create a decent shutdown pair. Or if they are unable to draft Seider Rd than they might go after Korczak RD with their #44 pick & he could in a few yrs be the 3rd pairing RD.
5. Go out & either sign for or trade for a 3rd pairing RD to play with Harpur or bring up a RD from Belleville to finish the season with Harpur. Harpur can also play RD so they could move him over at some point if they want to promote a LD.
6. If they move Harpur out instead of Boro than we know who will be the 3rd pairing LD for another few yrs here & they will need a good RD to play with him.
7. If Brannstron is NHL ready & can play the right side move him into the 2nd pairing & put Jaros with Harpur or Boro on the 3rd pairing. There are lots of options for them to try next season in a yr where they should be experimenting to get it right.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Demelo just turned 26 and IMO is a great #4. Not sure why everyone expects him gone. We should keep him long-term cause he'll be cheap and great value. He's a great partner for Brannstrom. Hopefully Jaros/Ceci can play with Chabot, or we wait for JBD. Wolanin plays the right side as well. A Lajoie-Wolanin 3rd pair would be pretty good.

Jaros is the key to our back end, if he can develop into a steady partner for one of those LHD puck movers, we're not in bad shape at all. Should have JBD ready in a couple of years, and I'd be very shocked if we didn't take a RHD on Friday or Saturday.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Now that Karlsson has been signed by SJS, what's the Sens long term looking like for the right side D?

I know that we have Jaros and JBD in the pipeline. What's our 3-5 year defence looking like?

Personally I'd love to trade for Subban and have him mentor JBD and Chabot (who doesn't really need a mentor). Subban would be a great influence in the community and on the ice.
Subban? Subban??

Reactions: Riceroni

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Demelo just turned 26 and IMO is a great #4. Not sure why everyone expects him gone. We should keep him long-term cause he'll be cheap and great value. He's a great partner for Brannstrom. Hopefully Jaros/Ceci can play with Chabot, or we wait for JBD. Wolanin plays the right side as well. A Lajoie-Wolanin 3rd pair would be pretty good.

Jaros is the key to our back end, if he can develop into a steady partner for one of those LHD puck movers, we're not in bad shape at all. Should have JBD ready in a couple of years, and I'd be very shocked if we didn't take a RHD on Friday or Saturday.

I think that's the crux of it though. DD is a free agent next year and will be looking to double/triple his current salary. Assuming Ceci is re-signed and Jaros is a legitimate piece, I have a hard time seeing Dorion ponying up that much for a future bottom pairing option.

I actually kind of like him him as a player, and he seems like a great guy in the room. At the same time, I can't help but feel he's more of a placeholder than core piece moving forward.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
A lot of talk on San Jose's board about how Tim Heed is a really good under the radar RHD. Anyone watch him play? Could he be a decent pick up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad