Speculation: How to fix the right side D?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
A lot of talk on San Jose's board about how Tim Heed is a really good under the radar RHD. Anyone watch him play? Could he be a decent pick up?

Put up over a point a game in his first year in the AHL (albeit 26 yrs old at the time). He's small but can chip in here and there.

Doesn't seem totally dissimilar to Chris Wideman and wouldn't expect more than that

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Chabot/DeMelo
Harpur/Brannstom
Wolanin/Jaros

Boro parking lot
Ceci = another time zone

That has to be the youngest average age for a D group. Demelo is the oldest at 26. I also think that's why Boro keeps his spot, for that veteran presence

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
This answer might not be popular but what about Wideman? it would be a vet, new coach,he has a strong connection to some of the players. Probably would be a hard sell.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This answer might not be popular but what about Wideman? it would be a vet, new coach,he has a strong connection to some of the players. Probably would be a hard sell.

He's toast post-injury and also a reputation bit of a dink. He's probably one of the last players Dorion would look at bringing back.

I mean, we would need a RHD who could at least eat some of Ceci's minutes if we were to move on. A one legged Wideman would get crushed with those defensive assignments.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There's not going to be any fix

They apparently just qualified Ceci. Hopefully DeMelo has at least as good a season as he just had which seems likely having just turned 26 and in his prime. Jaros steps up a bit with last year's experience under his belt.

I'm thinking it's

Ceci wolanin
Demelo chabot
Jaros brannstrom

With Brannstrom's role expanding as the year goes.

Harpur as the 7th. Lajoie ripening in Belleville

If what Neil said is true, hopefully with a stronger system and a willingness to play hard for DJ it works out OK.

I know one thing....at least we'll have more NHL games under our belt on opening night than we had last year

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There's not going to be any fix

They apparently just qualified Ceci. Hopefully DeMelo has at least as good a season as he just had which seems likely having just turned 26 and in his prime. Jaros steps up a bit with last year's experience under his belt.

I'm thinking it's

Ceci wolanin
Demelo chabot
Jaros brannstrom

With Brannstrom's role expanding as the year goes.

Harpur as the 7th. Lajoie ripening in Belleville

If what Neil said is true, hopefully with a stronger system and a willingness to play hard for DJ it works out OK.

I know one thing....at least we'll have more NHL games under our belt on opening night than we had last year

A couple of points:
- it's always confusing when you put RDs on the left side ...
- while I agree with your lineup with the exception of Brannstrom to start the yr, IMO a couple of D could change between now & by the end of the trade deadline.
- whether we like it or not Boro is still on this team & will start the season on the 3rd pairing, IMO he is exactly the kind of player both DJ & Capuano seem to like, the same could be said about Harpur.
- do you thing they try & move DeMello before the deadline since he is a UFA this yr along with Boro? It could be argued that they have players to replace both, Harpur could replace Boro & Brannstrom or Lajoie could replace DeMello although he is a RD & they are LDs but a few of them can play either side.
- I see Boro starting the season instead of Brannstrom, IMO he starts the yr in Belleville.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
A lot of talk on San Jose's board about how Tim Heed is a really good under the radar RHD. Anyone watch him play? Could he be a decent pick up?

Bottom pairing defensemen who needs to sheltered. I don't see a fit to be honest.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
A couple of points:
- while I agree with your lineup with the exception of Brannstrom to start the yr, IMO a couple of D could change between now & by the end of the trade deadline.
- whether we like it or not Boro is still on this team & will start the season on the 3rd pairing, IMO he is exactly the kind of player both DJ & Capuano seem to like, the same could be said about Harpur.
- do you thing they try & move DeMello before the deadline since he is a UFA this yr along with Boro? It could be argued that they have players to replace both, Harpur could replace Boro & Brannstrom or Lajoie could replace DeMello although he is a RD & they are LDs but a few of them can play either side.
- I see Boro starting the season instead of Brannstrom, IMO he starts the yr in Belleville.
I think Boro is like Ceci they will never be moved. Harpur probably wouldn't mind being moved but maybe the new coaching staff will help in his case.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Give it two years and it's fixed.

Chabot - Tompson
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Jaros
Lajoie

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Give it two years and it's fixed.

Chabot - Tompson
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Jaros
Lajoie

Otttawa wants to be a puck possession team drafting that D

That D feels small - it’s fast and talented, but light to me. Not a fan of smaller defenses, they can only take you so far. Will always be a matchup problem for the bigger and meaner teams who don’t mind grinding

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Otttawa wants to be a puck possession team drafting that D

That D feels small - it’s fast and talented, but light to me. Not a fan of smaller defenses, they can only take you so far. Will always be a matchup problem for the bigger and meaner teams who don’t mind grinding
Chabot, Wolanin, Thomson, Jaros and JBD are all at least 6'0 and all between 190 and 205 pounds. Brannstrom is really the only small one in our future top 6 that is small (5'10, 180).

The days of needing 6'6 240 pound Dmen are gone. The physicality of the NHL is dwindling. Mobility is the key as a defenceman, and we'll have plenty of it.

Chabot-JBD
Brannstrom-Thomson
Wolanin-Jaros
Lajoie

We're pretty set on defence in the future. I'm sure we'll add another next year as well just in case one of those righties doesn't pan out. We need a goal scorer at 32, between this back end and Brown+Batherson, we will move the puck very well.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chabot, Wolanin, Thomson, Jaros and JBD are all at least 6'0 and all between 190 and 205 pounds. Brannstrom is really the only small one in our future top 6 that is small (5'10, 180).

The days of needing 6'6 240 pound Dmen are gone. The physicality of the NHL is dwindling. Mobility is the key as a defenceman, and we'll have plenty of it.

Chabot-JBD
Brannstrom-Thomson
Wolanin-Jaros
Lajoie

We're pretty set on defence in the future. I'm sure we'll add another next year as well just in case one of those rightys doesn't pan out. We need a goal scorer at 32, between this back end and Brown+Batherson, we will move the puck very well.

I like a lot of elements of this D, but truth be told I don’t like their defensive side of the game. The game is about skill but it’s also about size and punishment. And that D doesn’t look like it pushes back against bigger teams.

This is the cat and mouse of the building a team, that D will be incredible if they always have the puck, if they are constantly turning into the corners to retrieve or battle for pucks it’ll be very long nights.

Think it can be a matchup problem. Would just like to see some size and aggression to balance out the pairings - Jaros is the only player I see that can play any type of game

Reactions: Emrasie

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A couple of points:

You know, I honestly completely forgot about Boro. Ya, he seems like a DJ kind of player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You know, I honestly completely forgot about Boro. Ya, he seems like a DJ kind of player.

As much as I'd like to think Boro will finally pushed to the role of 7th Dman, I very much doubt it happens, as you say he seems like a DJ kind of guy.

I also seem to recall DJ talking about how you need different kinds of players and as of right now, Chabot, Brannstrom, and Wolanin are all the same type of player on the left side, I suspect we'll want Boro to eat up PK mins.

I think long term, a right side of JBD, Thomas and Jaros could be pretty good, nothing flashy, but all are pretty good skaters that should be able to defend well and move the puck up ice. Brannstrom could play his off side, not sure who that would bump out though.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As much as I'd like to think Boro will finally pushed to the role of 7th Dman, I very much doubt it happens, as you say he seems like a DJ kind of guy.

I also seem to recall DJ talking about how you need different kinds of players and as of right now, Chabot, Brannstrom, and Wolanin are all the same type of player on the left side, I suspect we'll want Boro to eat up PK mins.

I think long term, a right side of JBD, Thomas and Jaros could be pretty good, nothing flashy, but all are pretty good skaters that should be able to defend well and move the puck up ice. Brannstrom could play his off side, not sure who that would bump out though.

At the moment we seem to have a lot of nhl quality d men. A lot of them look like 5 to 7 types. We need someone to step up and legitimately lock down a top 4 role.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I know he was just drafted but maybe you can trade for Bowen Byram, he might be able to replace Erik Karlsson's production but I'm not sure what you guys would have of value.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At the moment we seem to have a lot of nhl quality d men. A lot of them look like 5 to 7 types. We need someone to step up and legitimately lock down a top 4 role.

Top 4 potential besides Chabot who is a top 2

Brannstrom
Wolanin
Thomson
JBD
Jaros

all these guys are really young and have a lot of growing development wise to do. I think we the crop is good. It will take some time.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Top 4 potential besides Chabot who is a top 2

Brannstrom
Wolanin
Thomson
JBD
Jaros

all these guys are really young and have a lot of growing development wise to do. I think we the crop is good. It will take some time.

Agreed. I was thinking this year. Assuming Ceci signs, we still need 2 other guys playing top 4. We've got Demelo but I think he's more a stop gap top 4. Short term he's ok but we need someone else this year.

But all in all ya I agree we look good long term on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad