How to Fix the Canadiens Power Play Woes

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
For all the player use that I complain about on the PP, I have to admit that it seems the habs are doing a better job of getting shots on net and scoring chances in general on the PP for the last little while. This doesn't reflect on the PP efficiency numbers, but visually it looks better given that they do setup.

And the key phrase there is "once they do setup". I generally think our breakouts stink and that far too much time is consumed just trying to set up.

Is it just me, or do the habs breakouts usually look painfully slow? This means that its easy for the killers to hold up near the blue line and deny entry..... And if the puck is dumped in, the forcheck has no steam to get to the puck quick enough. To me, this is the biggest weakness of the PP right now... The entry.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Gallagher is in front of the net to fish for rebounds and thus to fracture the opposing defense. He's not there to screen the goalie.

He's there because Therrien doesn't trust the other options, e.g. Eller, Sekac, Weise, to provide that combination of getting rebounds and thus fracturing the offense as well as screening the goalie. Pacioretty is preferred at another position, Galchenyuk for the second unit.

Gallagher has two points on the PP and he isn't fracturing the defense much. I would say he has been ineffective in his role so far this year.

Buffalo has the worst PP in the league and their third leading scorer among forwards on the PP has 5 points.

I'm not even asking for goals just a bit of contribution to the offense now and then.

Last edited:

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Put da puck on da net

Like, stop cycling the ****ing puck at the blue line or in the corners (far from the goal line) and get it in front and crush the crease with the intention of at least taking a good shot.

Edit : Thank you Max

Last edited by a moderator:

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
To fix the PP, get back to what worked for years.

Thats giving one-timers options for Markov. PK should be there as a shooter only because he doesnt have the vision Markov has. Should also have Patches and Chucky as one-timers options ideally with Eller. For now, Plek is a better option than Chucky on the 1st wave tho.

One thing for sure, DD and PaP are total waste.

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
...well, Gallagher can screen goalies...that play in pee wee...

And...........

Gallagher in front of the net for Pacioretty's two goals.

Plus........

DD screening Bob on PK's goal.

Imagine that. Stick a player in front of the goalie, regardless of size, and it increases the likelihood of scoring a goal.

Great post by the way.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad