"HOW TO FIX A POWER PLAY" for dummies

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't get your point here. It's kind of saying they scored on PP but hey it's only garbage goal tactic.

Who the f*** cares about how they score, if they put the puck in the net. Well, you it seems.
Just want highlight goals by my team, and want 3-4 each game :nono:

You are wrong, bro. I really don't give a crap about how we score. lol It was just an observation that maybe ovethinking it is out of their capabilities talent-wise.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Subban and Wisniewski were the guys running the powerplay in 2011 as well. Markov was hurt at the time.

Looking at the specific cast that they have right now, it's the most significant peice that can boost the PP. Monahan is silky around the net. Caufield and suzuki are threats on each flank.... They just need that true QB to connect it all together.

Yes I did shamefully mix up Subban’s rookie year there :help:

The PP really took off after Wiz showed up. These stats are not meant as an indictment on Subban, just pointing out how much the org has sucked on the man advantage for over a whole decade now.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
the numbers have improved for now, and the bottom line is they are scoring goals right now. Last game I found they were moving more but it will take most to all of the season for me to be fully convinced the PP can actually maintain being average.

Last edited:

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Pp needs to be less predictable the reason MM goal worked was because everyone was expecting a drop pass, to use football terms for your run to work you need to fake the hand off once in a while
Andy and gally need off the pp have monty on pp1 and pearson on pp2 as net presence

Reactions: BLONG7 and Paddy17

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
“We decided to focus on food so we did not drink water for a year”

Not practicing the powerplay makes no sense. Imagine a football team never practicing kick offs or against the blitz… ”…oh well! Next year we’ll hire a kicker or something, one wonders if it’s related to being last in the league! Do other teams practice kickoffs and returns? Waaaat Oh noes!”

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Not practicing the powerplay makes no sense. Imagine a football team never practicing kick offs or against the blitz… ”…oh well! Next year we’ll hire a kicker or something, one wonders if it’s related to being last in the league! Do other teams practice kickoffs and returns? Waaaat Oh noes!”

Your comparison makes no sense, but it does shed some light on what actually happened last season thanks the word 'focus'.

Have you seen the practice drills under MSL? They arenotthose of dinosaur organizations running through the usual motions.

The reality is that there aren't that many hours to practice during the regular season and, with 8 games played in preseason last year, there was even less before the season started.

What MSL surely meant was that, with the limited practice time, the focus was on play at even strength. They had the occasional drills (I recall hearing that they had practiced the PP, or the PK) on the PP and the PK, but they didn't concentrate on that as they might with a team that had assimilated play at even strength under MSL.

Fans like to pounce on any opportunity to create drama.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Your comparison makes no sense, but it does shed some light on what actually happened last season thanks the word 'focus'.

Have you seen the practice drills under MSL? They arenotthose of dinosaur organizations running through the usual motions.

The reality is that there aren't that many hours to practice during the regular season and, with 8 games played in preseason last year, there was even less before the season started.

What MSL surely meant was that, with the limited practice time, the focus was on play at even strength. They had the occasional drills (I recall hearing that they had practiced the PP, or the PK) on the PP and the PK, but they didn't concentrate on that as they might with a team that had assimilated play at even strength under MSL.

Fans like to pounce on any opportunity to create drama.
How does my comparison make no sense? They are literally quoted as saying they did not practice 5v4, only 5v5. A professional hockey team. I would be making up drama if they did not have one of the worse pp for years now, while being outright with how they don’t practice it. I am underlining how ridiculous the notion is.

”ceci explique celà”

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
How does my comparison make no sense? They are literally quoted as saying they did not practice 5v4, only 5v5. A professional hockey team. I would be making up drama if they did not have one of the worse po for years now, while being outright with how they don’t practice it. I am underlining how ridiculous the notion is.
My answer should have been clear. Re-read it. When they said they didn't practice it, they should have said they didn't focus on it -- because there were instances I remember from last year where it was reported that the Habs had practiced the PP, or the PK. Only, that wasn't,t done regularly.

Instead, you harp on a quoted statement that was misrepresented as a "GOTCHA" moment.

Sad.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
My answer should have been clear. Re-read it. When they said they didn't practice it, they should have said they didn't focus on it -- because there were instances I remember from last year where it was reported that the Habs had practiced the PP, or the PK. Only, that wasn't,t done regularly.

Instead, you harp on a quoted statement that was misrepresented as a "GOTCHA" moment.

Sad.
Are with the org? I read your comment twice before responding the 1st time.

I understand how in contrast a football team plays only once a week and is a mostly tactical sport. I have always been fascinated how sketchy pro hockey is. From guys compensating refs by pommeling each other’s head to veterans needing pre-season to get in game shape (at least that bit is changing it seems). ”Do not have time to practice special teams” sounds beer league to me, no matter how sad that sounds to to you, sry.

I mean even your justification sounds like a Sasquatch sighting “I remember it being reported that last year…“

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If this was EA video game, I would have suggested to put it on "beginners mode" and that would quickly fix the problem.

The issue is that Habs don't have the horses in order to have a threatening PP. The opposing team all really have to do, is neutralize Caufield and Suzuki.

Losing Dach sucks, since I believe he is a catalyst on the PP.

What I don't understand, why Anderson is put on the first unit of the PP and not try Newhook or Slaf there? really, I don't think it will be any worse.
Either player would be better than Anderson right now.

Reactions: Justin11

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Sad.
I have to say being #1 at 5v5 is quite a good offset and shuts me up good (Renaud told me the news on tva) ;)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
In the good news department the power play is now 20% good for 15th tied with Edmonton (!)

3106065d4985b2ce366dd6681b6abf92_p_vi_31493_1447348124.jpg

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
This might be an unpopular opinion, but how about instead of dropping it back twice, skating to the blue line and shooting it around the boards, we just gain the zone with possession instead?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
3 goals last game 1 was taken back because of an offside 3 minutes before the goal :eyeroll:

The Habs are now 13th with 21.8%

Reactions: BLONG7

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I think that there is an error here; Subban was the best NHL's player ever ans he won the Norris so basically it's impossible for the Habs to have been out of the top 3 PP of the NHL
Talk about having an agenda

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Less passes, more shots
They have done a better job recently, and it shows............they all as a group need to move more to create different looks.
Teams have taken CC pretty much out of our PP, that said Suzuki has started to shoot the puck and that in itself should also allow him to get more attention leaving CC open.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's only gotten better as the season has gone on, but I'm hoping that we do see a few more rotations of personnel, beyond just removing JA. Ylonen is a player that really needs a chance on the PP as a secondary shooter.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
PP actually seems to be working fine right now. #10 in NHL baby!

2 reasons: Suzuki has finally decided to start shooting again instead of always deferring to Caufield. Guy has a great shot himself & it adds another weapon. Monahan's net front presence. He's so strong down low.

If we could lose Anderson on the PP, it would help a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad