"HOW TO FIX A POWER PLAY" for dummies

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
My dear Habs fans, i think it's time we should talk about the Montreal PP.

I have found an interesting quote on the site Habs eyes on the prize. Before anything i want to share this quote;

" MSL said in the pre-season , the team wasn’t really focusing on special teams last year, instead trying to teach the game at five-on-five"

After starting the season 1/11 (9.1%) on the power play through their first three games, the team has gone 5/18 (27.8%) since with at least one power play goal in each game. Their season-long percentage of 20.7% is 14th in the NHL and actually above the league-average at 20.2%. It was said last week that they practised that part of the game.

Could it be the end of this long failure to get a productive 5 on 4 situation ?

Reactions: cphabs

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Caufield made the great play on Monahan’s goal last night, but with his pure skill I want to see more from him on the PP. Use your feet, use your hands, open up your own shot, walk the blue line, create looks on the RW side, etc, etc.

Reactions: Kimota

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Caufield made the great play on Monahan’s goal last night, but with his pure skill I want to see more from him on the PP. Use your feet, use your hands, open up your own shot, walk the blue line, create looks on the RW side, etc, etc.
It was interesting on the Matheson goal
Cole and Nick organically switched sides
Seemed to throw CBJ off for a min

But also, really, at the crux, it has to do with personel a bit too over overall strategy..
A powerplay does not get 'better' by subtracting a KIRBY effing DACH and replacing him with Josh twinkle toes Anderson.

Newhook should be PP1.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It was interesting on the Matheson goal
Cole and Nick organically switched sides
Seemed to throw CBJ off for a min

But also, really, at the crux, it has to do with personel a bit too over overall strategy..
A powerplay does not get 'better' by subtracting a KIRBY effing DACH and replacing him with Josh twinkle toes Anderson.

Newhook should be PP1.

pfff you know nothing, bro

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Not sure if the Matheson solo goal should really count

So it's 4/17 and one goal was score by pp2

So its more like 3/17

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Habs PP% is currently at 20.7%. It's already getting better, or they are simply playing against worst PK...

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
If this was EA video game, I would have suggested to put it on "beginners mode" and that would quickly fix the problem.

The issue is that Habs don't have the horses in order to have a threatening PP. The opposing team all really have to do, is neutralize Caufield and Suzuki.

Losing Dach sucks, since I believe he is a catalyst on the PP.

What I don't understand, why Anderson is put on the first unit of the PP and not try Newhook or Slaf there? really, I don't think it will be any worse.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Even the worst PPs go through a stretch or two where the powerplay is clicking.

For the Habs to be sustainably better, it really comes down to the QB. Matheson has some good QB traits, but he doesn't have the full tool set.

The Habs used to have riches with respect to backend options on the PP.... It wasn't an issue for a good 15 years or so through the lineage of Markov, streit, Wisniewski, subban. Honorable mention to weber, souray, and Bergeron as they were deadly shooting options, however, they didn't have the full QB toolset.

It's been a good 6 years or so now without that true QB.

Reactions: FloJack

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
J'dois etre un esti d'cave moé tbk, hein? Lmao

There's someone even better for the PP and with that I'm sure you'll see the light:

i

Reactions: Guess

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The QB on the PP sure is important. I also think that another shooting option on the RW -- with good vision and IQ -- that can also pass wouldn't hurt (I.e. Roy when he graduates).

Moreover, a midget that can run circles with the puck against opponents and scatter all over the O-zone to break down the D-box would help.

Any chance we have that in the system, somewhere, for the future?

Other question? Is Mailloux a good PP QB? Was he in Juniors, or, like Weber, was he just a hard shot option fro the point? There might be a solution for the PP QB through him?

There's someone even better for the PP and with that I'm sure you'll see the light:

i
Yoël? Joyeux Noël!

Not happening. Well, maybe happening -- never say never -- but not helping!

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Their strategy still sucks. Their success lately has been basically shoot on net and look for deviations and rebounds. Tjhey realised they are talentless and so they keep it simple. lol
It's awful to watch.

Every team I watch has a dangerous looking PP compared to ours. Even crap teams lol I dont get it

Reactions: Paddy17 and Kimota

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
During the Buffalo game they had mentioned the same thing with regards to Buffalo's PK. Their coach had mentioned in previous years the PK wasn't being practiced much because they were focused more on 5 on 5 play.

Now we have a much improved 5on5 game this season which MSL talked about so it's not surprising that they've started to work more on special teams, but I suspect it's more of a mirage and we should still be focused on 5on5 and general player development over special teams.

One thing I would like to see tried is swapping Suzuki and Matheson so that Suzuki is at the point and Matheson is on the right side boards. This fixes the Handness issue which allows one timers from both side boards positions. It also will allow Suzuki and Caufield to easily switch it up which as we saw last night can cause some confusion on the PKers who are mostly trying to stop a Caufield 1-timer.

Now all that said, one thing you don't hear about which also plays a big factor is the pro-scouting and video coach. Scouting and preparing properly for the tendencies of each team is a big part of a successful special teams.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

So its more like 3/17
Normal reaction is to say no , However I think it matters for the only reason is he faked the drop pass which is their set play and kept going .
So was an adjustment to a set play and not just a freelance rush

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
size and traffic in front of the net, it's never been rocket science. Monohan in front, they score. Pile of smurfs in front, practicing their wokeness and not being phyical or blocking the view of the goalie... no goals.

Relying on Cole for the perfect shot is just downright stupid. Get some size out there, put the giant dummy Bustslafsky out there and maybe he can make use of something for a change? Park his giant skull in front of the net and maybe he can get a point or two acting as a screen and contribute once in a while.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Even the worst PPs go through a stretch or two where the powerplay is clicking.

For the Habs to be sustainably better, it really comes down to the QB. Matheson has some good QB traits, but he doesn't have the full tool set.

The Habs used to have riches with respect to backend options on the PP.... It wasn't an issue for a good 15 years or so through the lineage of Markov, streit, Wisniewski, subban. Honorable mention to weber, souray, and Bergeron as they were deadly shooting options, however, they didn't have the full QB toolset.

It's been a good 6 years or so now without that true QB.

Even during the Subban era the PP was not good. It finished above 19th once during the 2013 lockout season (5th). The Habs PP has not been a year over year consistent threat since 2011.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
size and traffic in front of the net, it's never been rocket science. Monohan in front, they score. Pile of smurfs in front, practicing their wokeness and not being phyical or blocking the view of the goalie... no goals.

Relying on Cole for the perfect shot is just downright stupid. Get some size out there, put the giant dummy Bustslafsky out there and maybe he can make use of something for a change? Park his giant skull in front of the net and maybe he can get a point or two acting as a screen and contribute once in a while.

I agree having a real net presence has changed the PP a lot, also think Armia would be a good option on the PP and PK. Would swap him with Anderson.

Reactions: Habs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Even during the Subban era the PP was not good. It finished above 19th once during the 2013 lockout season (5th). The Habs PP has not been a year over year consistent threat since 2011.

Subban and Wisniewski were the guys running the powerplay in 2011 as well. Markov was hurt at the time.

Looking at the specific cast that they have right now, it's the most significant peice that can boost the PP. Monahan is silky around the net. Caufield and suzuki are threats on each flank.... They just need that true QB to connect it all together.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Their strategy still sucks. Their success lately has been basically shoot on net and look for deviations and rebounds. Tjhey realised they are talentless and so they keep it simple. lol
I don't get your point here. It's kind of saying they scored on PP but hey it's only garbage goal tactic.

Who the f*** cares about how they score, if they put the puck in the net. Well, you it seems.
Just want highlight goals by my team, and want 3-4 each game :nono:

I agree having a real net presence has changed the PP a lot, also think Armia would be a good option on the PP and PK. Would swap him with Anderson.
Just to say...PP is around 6-10 minutes of the 60 minutes/game

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I don't get your point here. It's kind of saying they scored on PP but hey it's only garbage goal tactic.

Who the f*** cares about how they score, if they put the puck in the net. Well, you it seems.
Just want highlight goals by my team, and want 3-4 each game :nono:

Just to say...PP is around 6-10 minutes of the 60 minutes/game
PP + PK

I would rather Armia over Gallagher at this point, or at least try. They are ideal rotation partners.

Reactions: the

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

So its more like 3/17
only on Habs land, fans refuse to count official goal as a goal. Same with the finals Habs made, that don't count because this and that , because all the other teams sucked or have lost one top player, so it shouldn't be in the NHL's official book.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I think that there is an error here; Subban was the best NHL's player ever ans he won the Norris so basically it's impossible for the Habs to have been out of the top 3 PP of the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad