OT: How to Assign Blame When the Flyers Allow a Goal (Flowchart)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty funny. Wasn't sure where to put it so I started a new thread. I assume this will be locked or merged with another thread but I figured it was worth a post (if someone else already posted, I apologize).

flyersflowchart1.jpg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's cute but it needs less Coburn and more Gus.

Nah, Gus gets no blame around here. It's mainly Grossmann or Schenn. It used to be Coburn but now people seem to be in love with him. Haha. I just thought it was funny when I saw it.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
I don't get that Coburn is the go to scapegoat. In the past maybe but not anymore. Apart from that it is pretty accurate.

The Gus blame that goes around is obviously in a joking manner.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I don't get that Coburn is the go to scapegoat. In the past maybe but not anymore. Apart from that it is pretty accurate.

The Gus blame that goes around is obviously in a joking manner.

DFF doesnt really like Gus. Most here think he is a 5/6 that performed well statistically and with the eye test. He confuses that with saying we think he is a top pairing defender.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
DFF doesnt really like Gus. Most here think he is a 5/6 that performed well statistically and with the eye test. He confuses that with saying we think he is a top pairing defender.

Haha, I've got nothing at all against Gus. What I have is a problem with the people who said that Gus was a top four defender (not going to be, but WAS a top four defender) after playing about 35 games over three seasons and wanting to just hand him a spot over guys with more experience because he looked (to them) like a top four defender in those 35 or so games and the other guys looked bad in their prior 35 games (young is better...even when it is only 2 years younger and even when they have less than a tenth of the experience).

Also, I did not make this flow-chart, I just thought it was funny. Coburn hasn't been the scapegoat for a while, but I believe as recently has last year he was.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
There's a couple people who have a thing against him.

Weird. Would not say I have a Shafer love for the guy (sorry Chris I had to ;) ) but I do not think he is a bad defender. Can be inconsistent and he is definitely not a 1-2 defender but a good defender who can pair up with a 1-2 and be a complementary partner. His good play had outweighed the bad against some really good competition.

Haha, I've got nothing at all against Gus. What I have is a problem with the people who said that Gus was a top four defender (not going to be, but WAS a top four defender) after playing about 35 games over three seasons and wanting to just hand him a spot over guys with more experience because he looked (to them) like a top four defender in those 35 or so games and the other guys looked bad in their prior 35 games (young is better...even when it is only 2 years younger and even when they have less than a tenth of the experience).

Also, I did not make this flow-chart, I just thought it was funny. Coburn hasn't been the scapegoat for a while, but I believe as recently has last year he was.

Fair enough. I did not nor do I think he is a top 4 guy. That being said I do not think the team needs a 3-4 mil veteran defender as a 5-6 defender. Not needed at all. Gus was doing fine as the 5/6.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Why are people here so obsessed with the thought process that Gus is such a victim and being punished or sat? These feelings would suggest that he had a starting roster spot to begin with, which has never been true under regular circumstances. To argue that the guy is a serviceable and deserving bottom pairing defenceman is one thing, but to pretend he's being punished or having something taken from him that was already his, doesn't even make sense and has reached a point of childishness around here.

I don't have a single against Gus, I like him as a player but we've already got other undersized dmen who bring more to the table than him in our starting lineup and it's been obvious the entire time that the staff feels like we're too physically vulnerable in the back end when you add him in there. You can see that we are. I don't think Gus should be in our lineup when everyone is healthy and playing well because of this. He's making an excellent #7 on an injury prone blueline, we need him there and it's always only a small matter of time until his next shot.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Why are people here so obsessed with the thought process that Gus is such a victim and being punished or sat? These feelings would suggest that he had a starting roster spot to begin with, which has never been true under regular circumstances. To argue that the guy is a serviceable and deserving bottom pairing defenceman is one thing, but to pretend he's being punished or having something taken from him that was already his, doesn't even make sense and has reached a point of childishness around here.

I don't have a single against Gus, I like him as a player but we've already got other undersized dmen who bring more to the table than him in our starting lineup and it's been obvious the entire time that the staff feels like we're too physically vulnerable in the back end when you add him in there. You can see that we are. I don't think Gus should be in our lineup when everyone is healthy and playing well because of this. He's making an excellent #7 on an injury prone blueline, we need him there and it's always only a small matter of time until his next shot.

Seeing him play well while having players who can be big liabilities at times in Grossmann/Mez playing over him is why we're upset. Also, Gus is a player who does a lot of things the Flyers were lacking on the back-end before they acquired MacDonald (mobility and puck-movement) and is still responsible defensively, something Mez couldn't do. Yet, he was still scratched in favor of him.

Plus, this team has always had issues developing defensemen. It seemed like Gus was going to be the one who finally broke that trend and it frustrates us to see him get so little playing time.

I think most of the "Gus is a victim" stuff has passed since they traded for MacDonald. Most of what you're seeing in here is sarcasm.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't really see anyone blame Coburn either...

I think the Coburn reference dates back to prior seasons as he's not only played well this season, but he's avoided the limelight as whipping boy with Mesz, Grossmann, and Schenn being prime targets.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Fair enough. I did not nor do I think he is a top 4 guy. That being said I do not think the team needs a 3-4 mil veteran defender as a 5-6 defender. Not needed at all. Gus was doing fine as the 5/6.

and I think in the end that's what most of us are trying to get at. he is cheap. he plays pretty well when asked. but for some reason there seems to be a need to ice the most expensive top 6 in the NHL. or one of the most expensive.
Its going to suck when Gus doesn't sign his QO and his contract slot is filled with another 35 plus year year old contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad