Sportsnet How the NHL playoffs could look

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Assuming that the regular season is toast, the NHL is looking at the Top 6 teams in each division meeting in one location

Under the plan in the Atlantic

The Top 6 teams from each Division meet in one city. They would open with best-of-three series between the No. 1 and 2 seeds (to decide a Division winner), while No. 3 meets 6 and 4 meets 5 for the right to keep playing.

upload_2020-4-30_19-47-5.png

What NHL needs from teams bidding to host isolated games - Sportsnet.ca

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The little best-of-three in a neutral site would render all the work the Bruins did this season pretty much null - especially if Tampa wins the bid to be the host. And under this format we could theoretically get a Buffalo vs. Anaheim final.

I guess you have to do what you have to do in the current circumstances, but this makes the late 70s/early 80s format of 16 teams in a 21 team league making the playoffs look sane and rational.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The little best-of-three in a neutral site would render all the work the Bruins did this season pretty much null - especially if Tampa wins the bid to be the host. And under this format we could theoretically get a Buffalo vs. Anaheim final.

I guess you have to do what you have to do in the current circumstances, but this makes the late 70s/early 80s format of 16 teams in a 21 team league making the playoffs look sane and rational.

Tampa has several hotels very close to the arena

upload_2020-4-30_21-45-47.png

More importantly, Tampa is not a major hotspot for the virus

Hillsborough County
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Detroit

Wayne County
Confirmed
-Deaths
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Buffalo

Erie County
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sunrise

Broward County
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Toronto

upload_2020-4-30_21-53-39.png

Boston

Suffolk County
Confirmed
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ottawa

1297 laboratory-confirmed cases, including 76 deaths, have been reported in Ottawa.

Montreal

There are currently 12,487 confirmed cases in Montreal. Of them, 1,039 people have died.

Ottawa possibly but there really are not that many hotels near the arena and the same applies to Sunrise.

Toronto maybe

Boston no way.

Now how would the ice be in Tampa in the summer? With no fans the arena could be sealed pretty well.

Reactions: Strafer

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sounds good to me. Finals have to be best of 7.

Enough of the regular season was played to do this.

I also think lowering the number of teams and length is smart. You gotta save doomsday logistical nightmare plans re all 31 teams for next year. Corona will hit a nursing home and we’ll be ordered inside.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Does the loser of the best of 3 get knocked out or just down? Because out would be bullshit

The loser of a Boston/Tampa series would play the second-lowest remaining seed

So if Toronto beat Buffalo and the Bruins lost to Tampa they would play the Leafs.

If Boston beat Tampa then they could play Florida, Montreal or Buffalo.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The loser of a Boston/Tampa series would play the second-lowest remaining seed

So if Toronto beat Buffalo and the Bruins lost to Tampa they would play the Leafs.

If Boston beat Tampa then they could play Florida, Montreal or Buffalo.

Ok, I think I could work with that. If they're allowing more teams and shorter series in the early rounds, both of which I can see the logic for, then I think for sure the top 2 teams in each division need to be given a double chance. They've earned it, and should have that added advantage given they're losing first home ice and more games in a series to overcome a bad start, should they have one in this strange situation.

Tampa makes sense for the Atlantic. Where for the other Divs? Raleigh for Metro perhaps, St Paul for Central, and Vancouver for Pacific?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

we either want a playoff or we dont... if memory serves me we always said it doesnt matter at all what happens in the regular season. there was years where bruins won the president trophy and then lost in playoffs and no one cared about regular season.

tampa is considered a failure last year because they lost in playoffs

so we cant now suddenly get on a high horse and pretend we give a crap about regular season

get the playoffs played... deal with it. its always a second season and theres always a chance the 16th team will win. I might wish there was more reward for regular season but there never has been. no big deal this year

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Maybe I'm missing something here ... 6 teams leaves an odd number of teams after the first round = 3 teams left, does one team sit while the other 2 lower seeds play? They will need to do something to eliminate the odd number. To get 2 finalists without a bye or around robin type format they need a qualifying field of 2, 4, 8, or 16 teams, anything else leaves an odd number. Am I missing something?

Regardless, they can, but they shouldn't, just jump right into the playoffs without 2 or 3 weeks of 'training camp' plus 2 or 3 warm up / exhibition games otherwise it's going to be really ugly skill-wise and dangerous for players injury-wise. One can argue it will be the same for every team, but if I was the players I would argue for proper prep time.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Maybe I'm missing something here ... 6 teams leaves an odd number of teams after the first round = 3 teams left, does one team sit while the other 2 lower seeds play? They will need to do something to eliminate the odd number. To get 2 finalists without a bye or around robin type format they need a qualifying field of 2, 4, 8, or 16 teams, anything else leaves an odd number. Am I missing something?

Regardless, they can, but they shouldn't, just jump right into the playoffs without 2 or 3 weeks of 'training camp' plus 2 or 3 warm up / exhibition games otherwise it's going to be really ugly skill-wise and dangerous for players injury-wise. One can argue it will be the same for every team, but if I was the players I would argue for proper prep time.

This format gives teams 1 and 2 a bye, while 3-6 play in a prelim round. Like the NFL. The only twist is that during the "bye" time, 1 and 2 actually play 3 games against each other to determine a possible switch of their seed number.

On the one hand, for the Atlantic, that twist is a little bit of bull - we're clearly ahead of Tampa in the standings. Not that they couldn't overtake us, but it would be surprising. But I get why they have to do it. The Metro, Central, and Pacific have 1, 2, and 3 point gaps for their division leader, with the 2 point gap in the west having a game in hand that could result in a tie if the game in hand were played. It's not fair to those second place teams that they don't have a shot at first place.

Those 3 games would almost be like a bonus "training camp" - yes, you're playing for seeding, but you can't be eliminated, and you might even meat the same team in the next round if both teams win. I would imagine play would not be AS hard as the games in the 3-6 and 4-5 series. It's honestly not the worst plan out there. But any plan involving playing this summer, or even early fall, is asking a LOT of the players, particularly those with families. Par Lindholm just had a kid, IIRC - imagine being told that you have to leave your 2 month-old for what could be six weeks, and THEN you have to tack on an additional two weeks to the end (and probably the beginning). Not every player may be interested, or even in the headspace to want to play. Plus, with players in Europe, coming back is even more difficult.

They need to figure out what the hell they're doing with the regular season, for the sake of arena employees and ticket holders. The Bruins' fund is still in "escrow" (or whatever you want to call it) because the season hasn't been formally cancelled, and ticket refunds are not available for the same reason.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm not understanding why 1 needs to play 2 at all, we've already determined which is 1 and 2.....

Just begging for TB to injure some players like St. Louis did in what is essentially two or three irrelevant, free cheapshot games.

Without further information it seems like a useless idea to solve a non existent problem.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm not understanding why 1 needs to play 2 at all, we've already determined which is 1 and 2.....

Just begging for TB to injure some players like St. Louis did in what is essentially two or three irrelevant, free cheapshot games.

Without further information it seems like a useless idea to solve a non existent problem.

Yeah this is what I'm struggling to get my head around too - the 1 v 2 feels largely meaningless, which is just asking for trouble for both teams. I'm not quite sure how we get from the first round of this format to an ECF.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's probably too early in the morning for me to wrap my brain around this, but in theory, couldn't the Bruins and Lightning end up playing two series against each other in this format? o_O

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's probably too early in the morning for me to wrap my brain around this, but in theory, couldn't the Bruins and Lightning end up playing two series against each other in this format? o_O

They could indeed

The main reason #1 and #2 would play a best 2 out of 3 is to give both teams game conditions while the other 4 teams are playing to advance.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Yeah this is what I'm struggling to get my head around too - the 1 v 2 feels largely meaningless, which is just asking for trouble for both teams. I'm not quite sure how we get from the first round of this format to an ECF.

It's not even like if you win, you get home ice advantage, since they're playing in a centralized location anyway. The only benefit for a 1-seed like the Bruins is to get some conditioning in games that matter.

I have trouble seeing it go this way for one reason: the New York Rangers. Under this scenario, the Rangers would already be eliminated from any playoff contention as the #7 team in the Metro, while Montreal and Buffalo would get a chance, despite having much lower point %. I can't imagine the NHL wants to exclude the premier NY team (sorry Islanders), when they'll be solely reliant on TV ratings and New York has the largest market in the U.S. I feel like if they're opening it up to more than just the top 8 teams in each conference, then the regular season records still need to mean something, even if that means moving teams around within divisions. If they want to go with 12 teams from each conference instead, that's fine, but make it based on point %. Buffalo and Anaheim, as bottom 7 teams in the NHL, have no business being anywhere close to the playoffs.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm assuming that any city that wins a bid would host the opposite conference "tourney". For example, if Tampa wins for the reasons Fenway listed they would host the Western Conference and NOT the Eastern Conference.

Even though fans wouldn't be in arena, there's still a significant benefit to being at home. Particularly under these extraordinary circumstances. No team should get that benefit simply because their State/Location got luckier than others in terms of CV-19 impact.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
They could indeed

The main reason #1 and #2 would play a best 2 out of 3 is to give both teams game conditions while the other 4 teams are playing to advance.

Still sounds like a great way to have Marchand, Krug, Pastrnak, etc eliminated from the actual playoffs. What line was mainly on the ice when TB gooned it up those last two games?

Regardless of the format, the Stanley Cup this year will feel like a World Cup win.

Blech.

If the NHL doesn't try too hard for once and follows the standard format it would seem legitimate to me. If they tweak it to add teams then it is meaningless, absolutely.

Reactions: JOKER 192

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm playing devil's advocate here: I think the 1 v 2 idea is a little stupid. But here's why they want to do it:

1) They want to name a Division champion. Some arenas hang those banners. We used to, too; watch any of those Bruins Classics they're airing. In fact, we still have them, but they've just been condensed.

2) The other divisions aren't as clear cut as the Atlantic. STL has 94 points, while COL has 92 plus a game in hand. Who gets first seed? Both have a legit claim.

3) Seeding confers a few advantages. Naturally, they (theoretically) get to play against the worse team from the 3-6 seeds that advance. They also traditionally get home ice. Yes, nobody gets home ice in this plan in terms of an arena and sleeping in your own bed, but home ice means last change. It honestly isn't an advantage worth injuring yourself for in a meaningless 3 game series.

4) Conditioning is important. All teams should start on the same footing. Imagine the Bruins actually having a bye when this tourney starts in August. They haven't played at all in game conditions since March. You can do a Black vs Gold intra-squad scrimmage all you want, but nothing can replace an actual game against a full 20-man squad, even if it's an exhibition game (like preseason games), or a meaningless 3 game series. If the Bruins play their first game against a 4-seed team that's had a full 7 game series to warm up...watch out.

Let's also not forget - TV rights. If the Bruins play the Lightning in a 3 game series, are you going to watch, even if it's only for seeding? Hell, yeah! Will NBC have to pay for the rights to the games? Hell, yeah! Will advertisers pay NBC? Hell, yeah!

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad