NHL How the new TV deal with ESPN will affect watching the Bruins in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
It's kind of funny to me that the first Bruins game on ESPN+ just happens to be competing against the Red Sox and Celtics. Times don't exactly line up, but it was already a game set up to have fewer viewers than usual. If it was on regular TV, you'd probably have more people willing to flip between channels during breaks.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I have a similar DVR issue... although mine is due to kids' bedtimes...

To answer your question... yes the games are archived, but I'm not sure how long after the game ends.

The solution to my situation is to start the stream at 7 and pause it.

Your solution could be to have someone in your household start the stream when you get home and rewind it to the beginning without you in the room.

The inability to DVR or start the broadcast from the beginning is my biggest gripe with ESPN+
That’s ridiculous ( not being able to re-start the game ) and it would be a deal breaker for me .I work shift work . The NHL in general just hasn’t succeeded with watching hockey online in across all platforms. With NHL tv I have tried Apple TV , Roku , Chromecast , Amazon fire tv and they all had various glitches. The only thing that has consistently worked well for me is hooking up my Apple iPad to my tv . Next year , I’m seriously considering going back to cable.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Why is everyone dumping on ESPN? Blame the NHL and specifically Mr. Bettman for agreeing to the contract. He was so horny to get back in bed with the world wide leader he didn't care about the details.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
That’s ridiculous ( not being able to re-start the game ) and it would be a deal breaker for me .I work shift work . The NHL in general just hasn’t succeeded with watching hockey online in across all platforms. With NHL tv I have tried Apple TV , Roku , Chromecast , Amazon fire tv and they all had various glitches. The only thing that has consistently worked well for me is hooking up my Apple iPad to my tv . Next year , I’m seriously considering going back to cable.

According to this, all NHL games will be archived on ESPN+, unless i'm misunderstanding things.

Breaking it Down: How to Watch the NHL on ESPN, ESPN+, Hulu and ABC - ESPN Press Room U.S.

Reactions: sooshii

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Ugh I am still Hulu dumb for finding the game tonight. I have Hulu Basic. I looked at Hulu and I can't find the game listing for tonight. I did a search on Bruins and it says it is upcoming on ESPN+ which I thought I didn't need to have for the games that are designated to be on Hulu. Can someone give me a dumbed down version of where I need to look for it?

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's kind of funny to me that the first Bruins game on ESPN+ just happens to be competing against the Red Sox and Celtics. Times don't exactly line up, but it was already a game set up to have fewer viewers than usual. If it was on regular TV, you'd probably have more people willing to flip between channels during breaks.
F the Bruins & NHL

I’ll find out tomorrow how they did

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like the Celtics so I would watch them on what I got which cost $250 a month before I pay additional money to watch a likely shitty Bruins game

bruinsden

PRO/BOS Bruins!!!
Jul 2, 2006
Rhode Island
I usually hate all things ESPN, but ESPN+ is the best deal in sports streaming out there right now. $7 a month for every out of market NHL game is worth it alone, nevermind all the soccer and UFC that is on there. I'm younger and haven't had cable in 6 or 7 years so maybe I'm just used to the streaming game, but I have zero complaints.

Reactions: NextBigThing

bruinsden

PRO/BOS Bruins!!!
Jul 2, 2006
Rhode Island
I have a feeling that it’s going to be obnoxious trying to watch both the Sox and Bruins tomorrow night because it’s not as simple as flipping back and forth between channels.

When Notre Dame football was on Peacock, you’d have to go in through the Peacock app and if you wanted to flip over to another game, you’d have to exit the app.

Yup. That's what I find the most frustrating about all of this. You can't just change to a different channel anymore, you have to exit one app, open another, then find your programming, then you get to watch it. It's infuriating.

When I am streaming multiple games I just use different inputs. I'll have one game on my PS4 hooked up to HDMI1, then another game on the Roku on HDMI2, and a 3rd game on a chromecast on HDMI3 and just flip between inputs. Works great for NFL games.

Reactions: NextBigThing

BUP

Sep 6, 2017
Ugh I am still Hulu dumb for finding the game tonight. I have Hulu Basic. I looked at Hulu and I can't find the game listing for tonight. I did a search on Bruins and it says it is upcoming on ESPN+ which I thought I didn't need to have for the games that are designated to be on Hulu. Can someone give me a dumbed down version of where I need to look for it?
I have Hulu's Disney Bundle which includes Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN +, so I think you need an upgrade from basic.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
I just got an email from Fubo that they are adding the extended sports package for free. My package now includes NHL network, mlb network, NBA at no additional cost

I wish they'd add tnt. ..

And ESPN+ having out of market games does nothing for me. I just want to watch the bruins

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I have Hulu's Disney Bundle which includes Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN +, so I think you need an upgrade from basic.

I had asked this before and Fenway said Hulu Basic should get the games that are not ESPN+ exclusive. Guess I'll find out tonight but I plan on watching the Red Sox game after the 1st period so it's no big deal for this game. I hope that the NHL chokes on this TV deal it's awful and way to confusing.

Reactions: BUP and Silva

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Bigger picture:

Regular season NHL hockey is not exactly must see TV these days. You get a handful of good games, but LOTS of snoozers.

I get that it’s a business and the owners are going to take the money every time, as is their prerogative.

I’m not old enough to have watched many games before ads on the boards were standard.

However, the ads on the helmets and soon to be on the jerseys makes me sick to my effing stomach.

You have one of the most classic uniforms in pro sports. Classic colors. And you’re doing to take a shit on that uniform and plaster TD BANK in green letters on it.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
When I am streaming multiple games I just use different inputs. I'll have one game on my PS4 hooked up to HDMI1, then another game on the Roku on HDMI2, and a 3rd game on a chromecast on HDMI3 and just flip between inputs. Works great for NFL games.
Great. I have none of that nor any reason to get any of that. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Not a normal household set up for the average person.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
One thing the pandemic taught me is life goes on without hockey. I'm not skipping tonight's game because I can't figure out how to work an app, and not because I don't have 7 bucks.

But the previous system worked great, was affordable, and quite frankly today's NHL isn't that great a product that I have to see every game.

The weather is gorgeous, so I'll likely hit the bike trail. Just hope all the out of shape twenty and thirty-somethings aren't clogging up the lanes texting and taking pointless selfies.;)

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bigger picture:

Regular season NHL hockey is not exactly must see TV these days. You get a handful of good games, but LOTS of snoozers.

I get that it’s a business and the owners are going to take the money every time, as is their prerogative.

I’m not old enough to have watched many games before ads on the boards were standard.

However, the ads on the helmets and soon to be on the jerseys makes me sick to my effing stomach.

You have one of the most classic uniforms in pro sports. Classic colors. And you’re doing to take a shit on that uniform and plaster TD BANK in green letters on it.
My daughter game worn 2007 Krejci Providence Home jersey has Dodge patch upper right

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad