NHL How the new TV deal with ESPN will affect watching the Bruins in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was in a long Zoom meeting last night with the NBC hockey people.

The reality is Bettman tailored this deal to make ESPN/ABC the prime broadcaster in the US and admitted as much yesterday.

“We decided we would focus on this deal and structuring it before we focused on the [second part of the] deal, because we wanted to make sure that we were crafting a package that made sense for ESPN,” said Bettman, who said he expects the NHL will begin responding to proposals for the remaining package over the next few weeks.

Part of the deal includes an extraordinary change.

ESPN+ and Hulu — which will use the ESPN broadcasts on its streaming platform — will feature 75 exclusive-rights national games. That means that if the Bruins are slated to appear in a game streaming exclusively on ESPN+ or Hulu, the only way for fans in the Boston market to watch it will be on one of those streaming services.

IMG_0100.jpg

Comcast/Xfinity has Hulu/ESPN+ installed as an app on their X1 boxes BUT to watch the game you will need to sign up for the service. However, IF you sign up for the bundle at $13.99 a month you will get MOST out-of-market games that are currently offered on NHL.tv which will cease to exist AND so will Center Ice in the US.

Assuming bars ever reopen this will be a nightmare for them as every single TV had a delay in processing a streaming signal meaning TVs could be out of sync. There is no way of telling how many Bruins games will be exclusive to ESPN+/Hulu but I would guess around 5 minimum.

This will be a minor headache for anyone with a Smart TV but a real pain for older fans who already were struggling with digital tickets.

This does not affect Canada right now as Rogers controls NHL streaming there and how NHL.tv will be handled in other countries :dunno:

The NHL wanted nothing to do with Peacock and liked the idea of being part of the Disney+ bundle.

My gut tells me NBC is going to walk and will let FOX take the other part of the package.

For the truck vendors and freelance crew members, it is going to be an ugly transition.

On a personal note, Comcast has treated me well since I signed on with the OLN network in 2005 and never in a billion years did I think what was OLN would become NBC Sports.....but it did.

220px-Nhl_oln1_wide.jpg
SBJ200804276001-07.jpg

I have never been treated like a number by them but as a valued contributor. I have no issues with FOX but Disney is another mouse entirely. Have you ever seen crew credits on an ESPN show?

I fully expect Sean McDonough to be a big part of the NHL on ESPN.

Sean was the lead announcer on 1998 Olympics hockey on CBS and Doc Emrick did the ladies.

What does ESPN’s new deal to air NHL games mean for viewers? - The Boston Globe

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
ESPN+ and Hulu — which will use the ESPN broadcasts on its streaming platform — will feature 75 exclusive-rights national games. That means that if the Bruins are slated to appear in a game streaming exclusively on ESPN+ or Hulu, the only way for fans in the Boston market to watch it will be on one of those streaming services.
That's ridiculous.
I have never been treated like a number by them but as a valued contributor. I have no issues with FOX but Disney is another mouse entirely. Have you ever seen crew credits on an ESPN show?
I don't know why it never occurred to me that you'd show up on crew credits. Have they ever shown you on video on one of those end of season montages where they thank everybody?

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's ridiculous.

I don't know why it never occurred to me that you'd show up on crew credits. Have they ever shown you on video on one of those end of season montages where they thank everybody?

NBC was always good about that

4 years ago when I broke my ankle working a first-round game and missed all of the playoffs I was shocked when on the final credit roll on NBC I was listed as camera (injured reserve)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
From OLN, to Versus, to NBC Sports, the broadcast coverage has improved steadily year over year for a solid 10 years. I think they'll take a massive step backwards by selling their soul to ESPN. Everything was going swimmingly with the exclusive national games and NESN, now ESPN is selling me a $13/month sub for a half dozen games and their typical bullshit half assed hockey coverage?

Yes, I'm annoyed.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
From OLN, to Versus, to NBC Sports, the broadcast coverage has improved steadily year over year for a solid 10 years. I think they'll take a massive step backwards by selling their soul to ESPN. Everything was going swimmingly with the exclusive national games and NESN, now ESPN is selling me a $13/month sub for a half dozen games and their typical bullshit half assed hockey coverage?

Yes, I'm annoyed.

BUT the $13 a month ALSO gets you most out of market NHL games

I can just imagine the hysterics when a place like Sullivan's Tap has to figure out how to get Hulu on the bar TVs

Reactions: Kalus

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
BUT the $13 a month ALSO gets you most out of market NHL games

I can just imagine the hysterics when a place like Sullivan's Tap has to figure out how to get Hulu on the bar TVs

If I lived outside of the Boston area, it would be a great deal. I watch very little out of market, regular season hockey.

It's 8pm
"Hey can you put the game on?"
::bartender clicks to ESPN, the Digital Drone Racing League is on::
"Oh, I think it's on HULU tonight" he says to the bartender
"Who, what?" he replies
"No no. HU-LU" grunts the angry hockey fan
"I don't know anyone by that name, here watch these children fly the robots instead"

End scene

Reactions: 22Brad Park

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ultimately, I'm the asshole and the sucker here. If the ESPN+/Hulu thing is included with a Disney+ sub, I would probably end up forking over the dough. My kids would use the Disney app enough to justify it I bet. At that point I can only be the grumpy old man yelling about how I hate change, and that the UI on the ESPN+ app sucks (which now I am projecting a hypothetical, I know).

Reactions: Ratty and Dr Hook

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve got ESPN+ for UFC events, it ain’t too bad. I typically stream from my phone tho

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

The reality is Bettman tailored this deal to make ESPN/ABC the prime broadcaster in the US and admitted as much yesterday.

“We decided we would focus on this deal and structuring it before we focused on the [second part of the] deal, because we wanted to make sure that we were crafting a package that made sense for ESPN,” said Bettman, who said he expects the NHL will begin responding to proposals for the remaining package over the next few weeks.

View attachment 406051

Comcast/Xfinity has Hulu/ESPN+ installed as an app on their X1 boxes BUT to watch the game you will need to sign up for the service. However, IF you sign up for the bundle at $13.99 a month you will get MOST out-of-market games that are currently offered on NHL.tv which will cease to exist AND so will Center Ice in the US.

Assuming bars ever reopen this will be a nightmare for them as every single TV had a delay in processing a streaming signal meaning TVs could be out of sync. There is no way of telling how many Bruins games will be exclusive to ESPN+/Hulu but I would guess around 5 minimum.

This will be a minor headache for anyone with a Smart TV but a real pain for older fans who already were struggling with digital tickets.

This does not affect Canada right now as Rogers controls NHL streaming there and how NHL.tv will be handled in other countries :dunno:

The NHL wanted nothing to do with Peacock and liked the idea of being part of the Disney+ bundle.

My gut tells me NBC is going to walk and will let FOX take the other part of the package.

For the truck vendors and freelance crew members, it is going to be an ugly transition.

On a personal note, Comcast has treated me well since I signed on with the OLN network in 2005 and never in a billion years did I think what was OLN would become NBC Sports.....but it did.

220px-Nhl_oln1_wide.jpg
SBJ200804276001-07.jpg

I fully expect Sean McDonough to be a big part of the NHL on ESPN.

Sean was the lead announcer on 1998 Olympics hockey on CBS and Doc Emrick did the ladies.

What does ESPN’s new deal to air NHL games mean for viewers? - The Boston Globe

Ughhhhhhh. ESPN blows so hard. And especially for hockey.

MrMars

May 26, 2006

View attachment 406051

Joe Hand Promotions has the rights to resell ESPN+ events to businesses and is expecting to carry the ESPN+ NHL exclusive game package, bars will have to pay extra for it and would be fed on DirecTV, so if they don't have DirecTV they would be out of luck. It is actually illegal for a bar to stream ESPN+ as ESPN does not sell it to commercial customers.

ESPN+ for Business | Subscription for commercial business

Has more info.

I been told Center Ice on Satellite/Cable is not going anywhere, out of market rights are digital only for ESPN+ similar to MLS but the 75 ESPN+ exclusive produced games will not be a part of Center Ice.

ESPN can (and will) take 8 Bruins games to be spread out over the 25 on ABC/ESPN and 75 on ESPN+ and they will be no NESN for them. Most likely a 5/3 split would be my guess but could be 4/4

TV Package B is expected to include Wednesday Night Hockey which will feature more "exclusive" games, NESN cannot be happy right now.

MrMars

May 26, 2006

Yes, I'm annoyed.

It is $6 a month for ESPN+, the higher prices are the bundles that include Hulu and Disney + too, you can just take ESPN+ for $6/month. $6 a month is a great deal for NHL.TV but seems they are going after everyone putting in market games on there.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
This is great news for me as someone who has gotten rid of cable. But more and more sports are being pushed to streaming services. Soccer has been the first, ESPN, CBS, and NBC have all moved the vast majority of games to their streaming services even though they would probably do fine ratings wise on their channels.

Getting in region sports has been the worst thing (and frankly only downside) after cutting cable. My original plan was to go with YouTubeTV which works great but they dropped/lost NESN and all other regionals. FuboTV has it, but its service quality isnt close to as good and even they are adding a regional channel fee. Next season I'm going with ESPN+/NHLtv and a VPN to get Bruins games in good quality.

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Okay, so as I am understanding this, NHL.tv will cease to exist after this season. I have Hulu live and NHL.tv so I get all the Bruins games whether NESN or NBC. It appears that now I will need to add the ESPN+ bundle to my Hulu in order to get access to NESN games that are not ESPN exclusives? I am guessing the ESPN+ app on FireTV will look/work like CenterIce or NHL.TV did with dedicated 'channels' for each game?

I am feeling like this might be okay, but for the past several years I have been able to watch every single B's game and I do not have the same confidence level here with this new format.

Reactions: FONZIE and Gordoff

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Okay, so as I am understanding this, NHL.tv will cease to exist after this season. I have Hulu live and NHL.tv so I get all the Bruins games whether NESN or NBC. It appears that now I will need to add the ESPN+ bundle to my Hulu in order to get access to NESN games that are not ESPN exclusives? I am guessing the ESPN+ app on FireTV will look/work like CenterIce or NHL.TV did with dedicated 'channels' for each game?

I am feeling like this might be okay, but for the past several years I have been able to watch every single B's game and I do not have the same confidence level here with this new format.
CI isn't going away

MrMars

May 26, 2006

Yes that is correct. If you used NHL.TV on the FireTV you will need to switch to the ESPN app and sign up for ESPN+ and then all the NHL games will be in there starting next season. Just like NHL.TV blackouts will apply, your info says Texas if that is correct then you will get all the Bruins games expect Bruins/Stars unless it happens to be a national game.

Center Ice is the TV package, that usually comes with NHL.TV (Most cable/sat providers, some don't offer it) but it seems very unlikely any streaming will be included with the Center Ice TV package next year.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
CI isn't going away

Fenway's post above indicated that it would for U.S. subscribers. At any rate, it is irrelevant to me as I am now 100% streaming and Center Ice is only offered through select satellite or cable providers. The reason I went to NHLTV and streaming was because I had DirecTV solely because of Center Ice but it was way too expensive as a service based on the use I was getting out of it.

Reactions: Gordoff

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Fenway's post above indicated that it would for U.S. subscribers. At any rate, it is irrelevant to me as I am now 100% streaming and Center Ice is only offered through select satellite or cable providers. The reason I went to NHLTV and streaming was because I had DirecTV solely because of Center Ice but it was way too expensive as a service based on the use I was getting out of it.
I believe the main board thread said he may have read it wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad