How the hell did Craig Adams play 951 games in the NHL?

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Almost unbelievably bad goal-scoring, garbage FO%, a minus player every year... the uselessness doesn't end. I know Disco Dan Bylsma was obsessed with him, but he clearly wasn't the only one. Slush money from Brunei? Harvard old boys network? How??

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Almost unbelievably bad goal-scoring, garbage FO%, a minus player every year... the uselessness doesn't end. I know Disco Dan Bylsma was obsessed with him, but he clearly wasn't the only one. Slush money from Brunei? Harvard old boys network? How??

Penguin fans have debated this for years.

Personally, I think the Craig Adams nadir was reached when the Pens put out that awful Iron Man picture.

I'd link to the image but I can't bring myself to look at it again.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He was an effective 4th liner for Carolina. Him and Kevyn Adams and LaRose were a great energy line the coach could trust to not make things worse.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Had to look him up... wow, you weren't kidding.

Played 14 seasons

Never scored more than 21 pts

Played 10mins on average

Played on good teams but was -82 on the career. Only +1 and +2 in two of fourteen respective seasons.

Didn't have a single season where he had a positive corsi and was deployed relatively equally in Ozone vs Dzone, so doesn't appear to be the guy you put out there for the key Dzone face off.

Didn't block a lot of shots and his only redeeming quality seems to be that he had more takeaways than giveaways.

That's a remarkable career in its unremarkability.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think he played wing for most of his career, so the FO% doesn't really mean much. Most 4th liners are gonna be minus players. An offensive minded forward isn't gonna produce much with limited icetime on the 4th line, and might go even more minus.

Yeah it's mind-boggling that he played nearly 1000 games, but at one point he was a dependeable 4th liner who could kill penalties. I don't remember him getting any hate until the last few years in Pittsburgh.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Bylsma healthy scratched Jussi Jokinen so Adams could play in 2013.

Tanner Glass, and Craig Adams made up 2/3 of the Penguins 4th line for an extended period. Good times...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think he played wing for most of his career, so the FO% doesn't really mean much. Most 4th liners are gonna be minus players. An offensive minded forward isn't gonna produce much with limited icetime on the 4th line, and might go even more minus.

Yeah it's mind-boggling that he played nearly 1000 games, but at one point he was a dependeable 4th liner who could kill penalties. I don't remember him getting any hate until the last few years in Pittsburgh.

I tend to agree. I may be misremembering, but he was just vanilla, and sometimes a veteran who isn't going to hurt you is a good fit on a 4th line rather than a boom-bust player. I imagine that goes doubly so if the guy is a good personality/leader/other intangibles we're not privy to that keeps guys like Tanner Glass around for all eternity.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Because some coaches value guys that don't make mistakes over guys that try to make plays.

Makes for very exciting hockey. :shakehead

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Leadership, he's often referred to as the third musketeer between Messier and Toews.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Penguin fans have debated this for years.

Personally, I think the Craig Adams nadir was reached when the Pens put out that awful Iron Man picture.

I'd link to the image but I can't bring myself to look at it again.

adams.jpg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You don't play 951 games, with another 106 playoff games, by accident. You can fall through a crack for a year or two, but not for the equivalent of almost 12 seasons. The guy did something right. He was the 223rd pick. That guy usually doesn't play almost 1000 regular season games just because. He brought something to the teams he played on.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He had a few years as a good 12th forward/PKer but he should have probably played 500 games rather than almost 1000. Also had 74 career fights, I don't think I ever saw him win a fight as a Penguin..

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
there are tons of bottom 6 forwards on every team that just jump on ice each shift and just work and go and play hard and grind and fight until they get off the ice, and they barely have hockey skills, but coaches love hard work so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad