how strategic application of Nieves will = options for NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I didn't even need to look to know who the author was or what the recommendation was going to be.

In my heart, I already knew.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
this thread is predicated on the belief that Boo Nieves is a viable 1C moving forward. Based on my personal opinion of watching Boo Nieves play the sport of ice hockey, he is not a viable 1C moving forward.

Can be a good 4th liner though. Got good speed and size, decent skill.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nieves best shot is to emerge as fourth line player who possibly specializes in PK situations.

Which is what the expectation should have been for years, instead of over-projecting this poor kid.

Reactions: Rangers_23

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nieves is not even close to 1st line NHL material. IMO he has a shot at an NHL career but the offense has not been there at any level (and I'm including not just NHL but AHL and College) to justify him on an NHL scoring line.

There are things I like a lot about Nieves. I like his size and strength and his skating is really really good. Very good puckhandler. Overthinks what he's doing way too much and that's where creativity lies when moving the puck to other players. You're either instinctual or you're not and Nieves isn't nearly instinctual enough. Compared to Stepan--Nieves has way more tools but Stepan's fewer tools does come with one ace toolbox. Derek is instinctual and can and very often does make plays that lead to goals. Derek is also a sharp cookie away from the puck. It's called hockey IQ. Derek's just not nearly as big or strong or as good a skater as Boo but he makes a lot more out of a lot less. I do think Boo could round into a pretty decent bottom line two way player though.

On the negative side--Boo is not a creative puck mover as a set up man and he compounds that problem by not shooting the puck nearly enough making him a pretty easy one dimensional player to figure out. Where Bern gets the idea he's a good face-off man I have no idea. With the Rangers he won 97 last year and lost 122. That could/should improve in time but right now I don't think anyone looking at those numbers could rightly say he was a good face-off man with a straight face. Nieves biggest problem all in all is his offensive hockey IQ is just not there. It never really came out in college and it's yet to make a real appearance in the pros. What I'm looking at kind of looks like Manny Malhotra.

much positive and some fair negative comments, thanks for it all.

What I am asking you and everyone else to admit to is in theory, on paper, it COULD work.
Kreider, who is not going anywhere, and Nieves, especially with some dedicated rehearsal, could be a dynamic duo enhanced b'c of their speed.

As to lack of offensive creativity, to a large extent -- but not entirely -- guilty as charged. However, I clearly said, in this role Nieves starts out with max support. He lets Kreider and the other W drive the offense. He doesn't shy away from a pass he has to make, and he goes to the net if/when necessary. But basically his job is keep the flow of play, which his speed enables. He also has a little extra def responsibility. Those modest duties are not above Nieves' ability.

If you recall, when he got here, he was on the 4th line, looked solid but unspectacular, and they upgraded him to Buchnevich + somebody else which clicked for a goal or two. IMO due to AV and deciding not to burn a year of elc and decision to give him more mins, the experiment was scrapped.

This would be similar.
Just as he responded positively to letting Buch drive the play, so he would likewise with Kreider and the right RW, more so, b'c he and Kreider can use their speed in tandem, complementary, to split defenses even further.

And it gets better. Kravtsov is Kreider-esque skating with sniper ability. Only concern with him paired at RW is that he is a lefty shot, but he is listed as RW.
When you get a complementary group like that, all big and fast, Kreider more strength, Kratsov more finishing scoring, and Nieves adequate binding piece to start, it is a recipe for success.
Why insist on not even giving it a solid try?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'll bite.

Show me where Nieves has ever played with Kreider and where they have synergy.

This is the point.
Due to AV and other factors I note above, he has not gotten that chance.
And not only should that chance be given, there is no reason not to try it, properly.

I am not talking about a bs decision to make McIlrath a RW since there were issues with keeping him at RD, so they literally gave him a game.

Give Kreider + Nieves 5 + solid weeks minimum with all the support possible. Stop and assess and take it from there.

What is the worst that could happen if I'm wrong?
It was a good idea that didn't work out, and Nieves competes for what he can down the chain.

But what if I am right?
We get all the benefits described.

Hopefully with a new young coach, and no reason on paper in theory not to go there, Nieves will get the fair shot.

It's not exactly if you build it they will come.

It's more like if you give it every reason to succeed, it is more likely to than not. Of course, you still have to have a basis, but obviously Kreider and Nieves have complementary talents, that cannot be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad