How soon can Montreal secure home ice against Tampa?

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I have tickets for the first two homes games. I'm trying to figure out how soon I can book a flight to Montreal. Even if I knew they had home ice now and I booked it today to fly up on the 15th (day before playoffs start) I'm looking at over $500. The longer I wait the more expensive its gunna be.. Trying to figure out the standings here. If Tampa loses tonight, is it still possible for them to get home ice first? :help:

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
If Tampa loses tonight and the Habs win tomorrow, we clinch home ice.

Tampa would be sitting at 93 points in 79 games with 35 ROW.
Habs would be sitting at 99 points in 80 games with 39-40 ROW.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
It's 4 points. Any combination of points gained by us and lost by them that amounts to 4 will clinch home ice. So like Pierre said, tomorrow night is the earliest, given a loss by them and a win by us.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
If Tampa loses tonight and the Habs win tomorrow, we clinch home ice.

Tampa would be sitting at 93 points in 79 games with 35 ROW.
Habs would be sitting at 99 points in 80 games with 39-40 ROW.

Alright, thanks. I see the exact opposite happening.. Can't depend on the Leafs :shakehead
Chicago will be a tough game.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Well, here's the deal as far as I can tell. The earliest would be after the result of Thursday's game, because until Tampa Bay loses a game (even in OT/SO), it'll take 3 points to clinch for sure. So any combination of at least win+OT/SO loss against Chicago and the Islanders would seal the deal by Thursday night. Even if TB loses their next game, we still need at least 3 points in the next 2 games to make sure (i.e. guarantee) it doesn't come down to the results of the season series breaking a tie in points. Tampa's first opportunity to lose any more points (and thus their chances at home ice) is also Thursday, so that's definitely the earliest it'll be in stone.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Well, here's the deal as far as I can tell. The earliest would be after the result of Thursday's game, because until Tampa Bay loses a game (even in OT/SO), it'll take 3 points to clinch for sure. So any combination of at least win+OT/SO loss against Chicago and the Islanders would seal the deal by Thursday night. Even if TB loses their next game, we still need at least 3 points in the next 2 games to make sure (i.e. guarantee) it doesn't come down to the results of the season series breaking a tie in points. Tampa's first opportunity to lose any more points (and thus their chances at home ice) is also Thursday, so that's definitely the earliest it'll be in stone.

The first tie breaker is now ROW (which the habs easily own) not season series

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The first tie breaker is now ROW (which the habs easily own) not season series

Yes, but you realize if we don't win another game, all Tampa has to do is win 3 of their last 4 to tie us in ROW, right? Even if they lose tonight, Thursday is the earliest we could have enough points to remove that from consideration. Wait... one more win gives us 46 wins which they can't beat, but not enough points to win if they get at least 1 point tonight.

Either way, Thursday is when the OP is going to be able to make decisions, and it's just a matter of morning vs evening. Honestly, a TB loss tonight and a Habs win on Wednesday would be good enough for me to start planning either way. :)

Last edited:

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yes, but you realize if we don't win another game, all Tampa has to do is win 3 of their last 4 to tie us in ROW, right? Even if they lose tonight, Thursday is the earliest we could have enough points to remove that from consideration. Wait... one more win gives us 46 wins which they can't beat, but not enough points to win if they get at least 1 point tonight.

Either way, Thursday is when the OP is going to be able to make decisions, and it's just a matter of morning vs evening. :)

Alright, thank you. Hopefully the flight ticket prices don't rise too much by then. I've already spent more money than I should have :laugh:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
If tampa loses tonight we techinaly clinch unless we lose the next three. So if tampa loses in regulation or overtime you might as well plan for home ice adv.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I think the playoffs start on the 16th so my guess would be thursday the 17th and second game saturday the 19th

I assume it'll be this regardless of home ice or not. Otherwise I bet we're looking at Wednesday at Friday, and you just know that CBC will push hard to get Montreal on Saturday night.

Kev9090

Oct 29, 2007
ron fournier said that it would start wednesday the 16 and friday the 18 for the two first games !

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I assume it'll be this regardless of home ice or not. Otherwise I bet we're looking at Wednesday at Friday, and you just know that CBC will push hard to get Montreal on Saturday night.

Wednesday and Saturday could also be an option. You just know that they will play Saturday either way

Magic number should be down to 3 as of now for home ice.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Wednesday and Saturday could also be an option. You just know that they will play Saturday either way

If we cannot beat the AHL version of the Islanders at home... then we don't deserve home ice.

Kev9090

Oct 29, 2007

apparently, it could change but fournier said no, it will be friday !

Last edited:

clarke19

Feb 1, 2008
Another OT loss and a Tampa regulation loss also still gives us home ice. So that's nice.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
It's really annoying they put them on sale before having the dates.. Those tickets would have sold regardless of when they went on sale. I'm there for a night and would have liked to have a chance at trying to get them through their website instead of having to pay double if it happens to be that night (April 16th)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It's really annoying they put them on sale before having the dates.. Those tickets would have sold regardless of when they went on sale. I'm there for a night and would have liked to have a chance at trying to get them through their website instead of having to pay double if it happens to be that night (April 16th)

if you got a chance, just buy them.If you can't make it for sure you will be able to re-sell them at face value, or probably even at premium.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

same. i need to fly, and I'm not going to book a flight without proper dates.

oh well. maybe i'll fly to tampa instead, probably cheaper for tickets/flight.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Son of a *****! Flight prices when up by $200! :cry:

God damn Leafs.. why couldn't they beat Tampa the other night..
Was planning on flying up the 16th but I needed to wait for Montreal to clinch home ice to be sure the first two games would be the end of next week.. now I don't know what to do. I don't feel like paying almost $800 to fly up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad