How soon before we see a Jersey/ Logo rebrand?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
If they become the main jersey they will be less special. I think they are extremely nice, but only as an alternate jersey and still aren't as highly thought of as some people think. They are still extremely bland to be used as a main jersey.

It's sort of like how I used to crave Yuengling and would occasionally actually drive to PA to buy some. Once it became available in Ohio I stopped drinking it. I moved on to something else.

They are also a rip off of the St Louis Blues third jerseys.
1659308489817.png
1659308364414.png

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I like the current logo, and the blue pants-full time would be ok too. Not sure why logo it is lazy or generic. People that don't understand the main logo who aren't from OH should maybe investigate it a little or we could consider them lazy. Win the cup and nobody will want a rebrand. I'm sure most NHL fans could pick the CBJ jersey out of a lineup!
My stance is that a logo shouldn't have to be researched to understand. Or a team name, for that matter.

Reactions: majormajor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Only in the sense that both were aping the same design cues which are present in a little over half of all the NHL jersey designs ever made ever.

Which other thirds looked like the Blues prior to them releasing that design? Only other one I can think of is the Penguins original winter classic jersey which came out in 2008 (same year as the Blues' thirds).

Jackets are the only one still using this design as far as I can tell and I don't think it's as universally loved as folks in this thread are making it out to be.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I really don't think the team needs a re-brand. Usually jersey changes are nothing more than creating a new revenue stream disguised as a changing of identity. As far as the jerseys at the beginning of the thread, I like them, but again, I liked them back when they were the Penguin jerseys from the late 60's, early 70's. You replace the cannon with a penguin and you have a Penguin jersey. As far as the team name goes, I like it. Plus, it make the CBJ chant work. I love it when the chant gets going at a game with a full house. Best chant in hockey. Wouldn't work with just two letters. I know I am newer than most on here, and maybe not sick of the logo or uniforms, but I would hate to see them go. Also, I couldn't care less what people outside of the Columbus fanbase think of the jersey and logo, and re-branding is the last thing I am thinking of. I just want to see the team get better, and become part of the playoff mix again.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Which other thirds looked like the Blues prior to them releasing that design? Only other one I can think of is the Penguins original winter classic jersey which came out in 2008 (same year as the Blues' thirds).

Jackets are the only one still using this design as far as I can tell and I don't think it's as universally loved as folks in this thread are making it out to be.
I didn't type fast enough, you beat me to the Penguin jersey reference.:)

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
My stance is that a logo shouldn't have to be researched to understand. Or a team name, for that matter.

If I were a non-hockey fan looking at that Detroit logo I would think winged wheel and immediately think it should be racing related. It sure doesn't scream Detroit to me. Hell, most of any professional sports logos don't scream the city's name to me.

What does a Lion have to do with Detroit? Or a blank brown helmet to Cleveland? Or lightning to Tampa? (I mean every city get lighting right!). A blackhawk to Chicago? On and on and on.

It has to do with winning and history to build a brand which the CBJ basically have none of.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I can understand your stance, but as time goes on, I like the name and logo more. When the name Blue Jackets first came out with the Christmas tree logo, I was dumbfounded. Once the new logo (the current one) came out, I liked it all much better. The state flag makes it a team for all of Ohio to get behind, and while a lot of people think that's a generic way to brand your team, I like it. Much better than to have the team called the Ohio Blue Jackets which I believe was an option.
Does anyone remember some of the other team name options other than the Mad Cows or the Convicts, thank God those didn't make the cut. The Columbus Kodiaks, which makes no sense ws an optiion.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Ours was actually a ripoff of the Minnesota Wild.
Ah, yes. Good call. That came out way back in 2003 I see.

I remember when the 3rd came out thinking first (as I was absolutely laughing my ass off) who actually approved blow up Boomer? And then second, I thought the jersey/logo was decent but very unoriginal bc of the copycat design template.

If anything I think our 3rds could use a fresh overhaul focusing on just the cannon as the main logo.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
If I were a non-hockey fan looking at that Detroit logo I would think winged wheel and immediately think it should be racing related. It sure doesn't scream Detroit to me. Hell, most of any professional sports logos don't scream the city's name to me.

What does a Lion have to do with Detroit? Or a blank brown helmet to Cleveland? Or lightning to Tampa? (I mean every city get lighting right!). A blackhawk to Chicago? On and on and on.

It has to do with winning and history to build a brand which the CBJ basically have none of.
To me the Red Wings logo is so great because it cleverly ties together a piece of the city's identity and history with the name of the team. By no means is this a prerequisite for a team's logo, but if it can be done tastefully you get bonus points.

Lions aren't indigenous to Detroit, but I can look at that logo and be like, "yep, they're the Lions". Therefore it's a good logo in my mind. Not amazing, but good.

Tampa is the Lightning capital of the U.S. What's just as important is that the name is an easy one to create a logo of.

I have qualms with the others you've listed, but I won't get into those.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I can understand your stance, but as time goes on, I like the name and logo more. When the name Blue Jackets first came out with the Christmas tree logo, I was dumbfounded. Once the new logo (the current one) came out, I liked it all much better. The state flag makes it a team for all of Ohio to get behind, and while a lot of people think that's a generic way to brand your team, I like it. Much better than to have the team called the Ohio Blue Jackets which I believe was an option.
Does anyone remember some of the other team name options other than the Mad Cows or the Convicts, thank God those didn't make the cut. The Columbus Kodiaks, which makes no sense ws an optiion.
Yep, Blue Jackets and Justice were the final two options. Yuck.

Reactions: Jaxs

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I was with you until Tampa. 2pm every afternoon is how lightning is associated with Tampa.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Guys, just an outsider's observation. But how come the "Blue Jackets" theme doesn't draw more on the actual "Blue Jacket" aesthetic of a Union Soldier uniform. You know, more of the double blue with brass/sports gold accents instead of the generic red white and blue?

1659313595968.png

1659313651068.png

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Guys, just an outsider's observation. But how come the "Blue Jackets" theme doesn't draw more on the actual "Blue Jacket" aesthetic of a Union Soldier uniform. You know, more of the double blue with brass/sports gold accents instead of the generic red white and blue?

View attachment 573840

View attachment 573841
The third jerseys pull in those elements pretty well. The problem is that the Civil War aspect of the name wasn’t even realized/ marketed until about 10 years in. “Blue Jackets” had zero identity at inception other than a neon bug.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ah, yes. Good call. That came out way back in 2003 I see.

I remember when the 3rd came out thinking first (as I was absolutely laughing my ass off) who actually approved blow up Boomer? And then second, I thought the jersey/logo was decent but very unoriginal bc of the copycat design template.

If anything I think our 3rds could use a fresh overhaul focusing on just the cannon as the main logo.
I know they actually obtained a Wild 3rd jersey to try to replicate the off white/cream color on it. Of course we had to follow the old school hockey lace trend even though we had no old school history as well.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The third jerseys pull in those elements pretty well. The problem is that the Civil War aspect of the name wasn’t even realized/ marketed until about 10 years in. “Blue Jackets” had zero identity at inception other than a neon bug.
Well, the theme was "realized" but never featured. it was the reason for the name I recall they used to sell the kepi hats in the Blue Line when the team started.

Frankly, if we do rebrand the team in any fashion, we need to eliminate red and go with the 2 shades of blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad