Silver Seven How safe is DJ Smith

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
GM expectations are to finish fighting for a playoff spot.

So by seasons end he should not be more than 8 pts out of a wild card spot.

Its pretty attainable if the team plays .500 hockey to the mid point of the season and then revs it a little.

based on all that I would say DJ Smith is pretty safe.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If the team remains at or above .500 DJ will remain as coach. If the team falls out of playoff contention in January, I suspect that Dorion will replace DJ to take off the heat!

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
How about if weren't relying on generic things we were told by others and just watched the games, seeing with our own eyes that after three years, DJ still hasn't instilled a proper defensive system and seems to not know how to properly prepare his team to start games?

Oh, and structure comes from good coaching.
"Relying on generic things" but proceeds to say things like "hasn't instilled a proper defensive system" without bringing any stats or metrics to the discussion.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Obviously the coach can't play for the players, but it IS his job to have them focused and motivated to compete.

Bag skating them is what he's doing to towards that end. We'll see if it works.
No accountability then on the players?... This is the NHL you shouldnt need the coach to get you going game 8 of the season. Motivational speeches are for playoffs or the season opener. He can control their ice time and he can make practice miserable. So we will see if the icetime situation is effected next game. I hope we see him play the guys who are playing and bench the ones who arent doing what it takes to win. No more soft plays at the blue lines. I hope if someone turns one over in a danger area instead of getting it out or in deep then they are sat.

My issue with DJ is his deployment in games where things aren't going well. Why are we waiting to mix up the lines, Zaitsev belongs nowhere near the top pair but was second to Chabot in D toi, Pinto and Kastelic were playing well but we didn't elevate either while Brassard struggled. Sanderson played great but had 10 mins less than Chabot.
These are legitimate complaints. Unlike from people that dont even know what a system looks like to say things like 'we have no system fire the coach'. They absolutely have a system hate to break it to you guys. If they dont execute it wont matter what it is.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
A .500 start through the first 10 games is exactly what I expected, and they're on course for that. Their scoring power is coming through, though it sometimes looks like a colt trying to run after a growth spurt. (They looked terribly predictable against the Wild, who pressured the puck a lot more.) And defensive structure is still the issue. I'd expect DJ to fix the defensive play over games 9-20. If our possession game and defensive zone time doesn't improve at the end of that stretch, I'd want a new coach.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think it is a lazy argument to bring up " no defensive structure", and "what system are they playing". You saw on the homestand that in the 3rd period, the other teams were essentially shit down because Ottawa had th epuck, and good puck support through the neutral zone. They play as a FIVE MAN UNIT.

When they don't, as we saw with the 1st line on the 3rd goal with 36 seconds remaining, or the winning goal, these guys are not playing focussed whatsoever. And they are killing their team. The forwards are simply doing jack shit in the neutral zone. DJ doesn't want this, and we did not have this in Ottawa. They had no legs. Zilch. Incredible that they once, again, had the chance to win or get a loser point.

This team hasn't been blown out yet. It is coming tomorrow night unless they start playing. But their track record is it is going to get worse before they get better.

DJ is safe right now. I don't know about Timmy being safe at center.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
No accountability then on the players?... This is the NHL you shouldnt need the coach to get you going game 8 of the season. Motivational speeches are for playoffs or the season opener. He can control their ice time and he can make practice miserable. So we will see if the icetime situation is effected next game. I hope we see him play the guys who are playing and bench the ones who arent doing what it takes to win. No more soft plays at the blue lines. I hope if someone turns one over in a danger area instead of getting it out or in deep then they are sat.

These are legitimate complaints. Unlike from people that dont even know what a system looks like to say things like 'we have no system fire the coach'. They absolutely have a system hate to break it to you guys. If they dont execute it wont matter what it is.

Sure there is accountability for players. If they suck they should get their icetime cut, reducing future income. Yet Zaitsev was second in TOI for the D and Chabot has been played 27+ minutes in games where he stunk. Individual players should be accountable to their coaches and their teammates in a healthy organization.

An entire team playing as badly as we did is under the purview of the coach, if it persists. That would be on the coach. This is just one game though. Truly great coaches can read their team and do something to get them going, even in game 8 of the season; that didn't really happen.

But the true measure should be how they come out next game. If they are flat again I will be very concerned with our coaching situation. I expect they'll play pretty damn hard tomorrow night though.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Well he bagged them, hope he keeps bagging them until they are willing to play with more urgency and discipline. Getting the puck in deep has been this teams bread and butter this year, when they dont do that they are no good. That's why the 4th line has been the most consistent they are doing their job and playing to their strength.

I am curious as to what you think a coach can do to get his team to start better. If they are just simply no good all game long then I think thats alot on the coach. However when they play well when they are playing the right way that to me means that they have been coached and prepared for the actual game. Ultimately the players have to be ready to go and play with urgency. What I have seen the last two games was a team that wasnt doing the things that have made them successful. Playing with pace and urgency, hard on pucks at both blue lines. Those are not coaching strategies thats a players willingness to compete.
I think it is having control of the room. Motivating the team to compete for all 60 minutes. That is a coaches job.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
How about if weren't relying on generic things we were told by others and just watched the games, seeing with our own eyes that after three years, DJ still hasn't instilled a proper defensive system and seems to not know how to properly prepare his team to start games?

Oh, and structure comes from good coaching.

I think we have amazing structure on our special teams. Our PK is near elite, the PP is excellent. Our transition game is looking more refined - especially our forward core.

Players are missing assignments and are getting beat by veterans on individual battles. It’s most notable when coming back into our own end, as it leads to goals against instead of for. Most of that is youth and exuberance but now chemistry is a factor.

To my eye test, D.J. Is a good coach. He might even be great if we can pry Zaitsev out of his grips. He must see something of himself in him. It’s the only logical answer- or blackmail haha.

Reactions: bert and swiftwin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This is absurd. They werent competing. They were losing one on one battles. They turned pucks over at blue lines. The coach cant play for the players.

Seems like so many posters are just looking for a scape goat without knowing what they are looking at.

Competing hard and competing smart is what coaching is supposed to do. The team has to find a better balance, on the road they are atrocious and that’s coaching and the coach not having answers to road play. 0-3 on the road this year and they wont make the playoffs with a losing road record.

Will have to go 5-2 on the road in November to get themselves to .500% - not looking likely at all and that’s a playoff spot leaving your wish list of you can’t win on the road

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My issue with DJ is his deployment in games where things aren't going well. Why are we waiting to mix up the lines, Zaitsev belongs nowhere near the top pair but was second to Chabot in D toi, Pinto and Kastelic were playing well but we didn't elevate either while Brassard struggled. Sanderson played great but had 10 mins less than Chabot.

Dorion said if the Zaitsev isn’t a top 6 Dman he won’t play this season - just stick to the real talk issues and get #22 off the ice and get yourself a Dman like JBD who can just skate for 15-17 a night and looks like he understands how a puck moves around the ice and he isn’t sniffing ether on the bench

Reactions: Emrasie

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Defensive zone coverage is by far the biggest weakness on the team. People who complain about the system generally (I believe) point to this.

It ca be exhausting just watching our guys chase the puck, only to leave someone wide open in the high slot.

The coverage needs to improve or we will see, yet again, teams just get it in deep on us and cycle us to death.

I'm not going to say there is no system but we don't cut the cycle off well, leave the points wide open and hope to get the puck off rebounds. Big problem is 1/2 our D corps aren't well suited to quickly get a puck and make the proper read and pass to relieve the pressure.

If this continues we need to make a coaching change.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Defensive zone coverage is by far the biggest weakness on the team. People who complain about the system generally (I believe) point to this.

It ca be exhausting just watching our guys chase the puck, only to leave someone wide open in the high slot.

The coverage needs to improve or we will see, yet again, teams just get it in deep on us and cycle us to death.

I'm not going to say there is no system but we don't cut the cycle off well, leave the points wide open and hope to get the puck off rebounds. Big problem is 1/2 our D corps aren't well suited to quickly get a puck and make the proper read and pass to relieve the pressure.

Its a system ; just not a very good one.. and it leads to big gaps and looking like you are out of position.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
A .500 start through the first 10 games is exactly what I expected, and they're on course for that. Their scoring power is coming through, though it sometimes looks like a colt trying to run after a growth spurt. (They looked terribly predictable against the Wild, who pressured the puck a lot more.) And defensive structure is still the issue. I'd expect DJ to fix the defensive play over games 9-20. If our possession game and defensive zone time doesn't improve at the end of that stretch, I'd want a new coach.
Maybe. Our next two are against Vegas and Tampa, not exactly predicting a win there, but who knows?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

We have 7 D on the roster and 2 prospects in Belleville:
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Brannstrom -Holden
Zaitsev
Bernard-Docker and Thomson

I think 4 of them can get to the puck quickly: Chabot, Zub, Sanderson and Brannstrom.

The other 3: Hamonic, Zaitsev and Holden are not fast.

Bernard-Docker and Thomson seem to be fast enough.

We do need to upgrade the D.

Reactions: Yak

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Deployment is such an easy point to attack but does it actually make sense? Narratives change after the fact, not before.

For example, Giroux, DeBrincat and Brassard aren't playing especially well against Florida. As fans, we say, give the guys playing well that game more minutes! Makes a lot of sense, right?

So, does the narrative become the best players play? Or does the more likely narrative become, every time someone doesn't play well DJ crushes their confidence and gives their minutes away.

As a coaching philosophy, do you give veteran players more leeway to play their way out of a poor game? Sounds like in this case we're saying no. So when the results don't come because the lower quality players didn't actually produce more as a result of playing more, do we say DJ made the right move and we didn't get the result we hoped for or do we say the chances of getting the result we hoped for from a move like that were so small that we shouldn't have been trying that in the first place?

Another way to ask that question: which has a higher probability, of the following options - a) the guys like Pinto and Kastelic produce better results as a result of playing more minutes or b) Brassard, Giroux and DeBrincat work their way into producing because that's what good vets who've been around the block do?

These are easy decisions to make for us, without any knowledge of managing a locker room, without the insights into player mentality, without the benefit of many hours to analyze post-game results, etc. In the moment though, you make a gameplan and you stick to it. So far our gameplan this year has led to mostly good results and a couple of bad ones. Changing our gameplan which has produced mostly good results to try to fix 2 bad results is the kind of overcoaching and poor leadership that leads to bad overall seasons.

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Deployment is such an easy point to attack but does it actually make sense? Narratives change after the fact, not before.

For example, Giroux, DeBrincat and Brassard aren't playing especially well against Florida. As fans, we say, give the guys playing well that game more minutes! Makes a lot of sense, right?

So, does the narrative become the best players play? Or does the more likely narrative become, every time someone doesn't play well DJ crushes their confidence and gives their minutes away.

As a coaching philosophy, do you give veteran players more leeway to play their way out of a poor game? Sounds like in this case we're saying no. So when the results don't come because the lower quality players didn't actually produce more as a result of playing more, do we say DJ made the right move and we didn't get the result we hoped for or do we say the chances of getting the result we hoped for from a move like that were so small that we shouldn't have been trying that in the first place?

Another way to ask that question: which has a higher probability, of the following options - a) the guys like Pinto and Kastelic produce better results as a result of playing more minutes or b) Brassard, Giroux and DeBrincat work their way into producing because that's what good vets who've been around the block do?

These are easy decisions to make for us, without any knowledge of managing a locker room, without the insights into player mentality, without the benefit of many hours to analyze post-game results, etc. In the moment though, you make a gameplan and you stick to it. So far our gameplan this year has led to mostly good results and a couple of bad ones. Changing our gameplan which has produced mostly good results to try to fix 2 bad results is the kind of overcoaching and poor leadership that leads to bad overall seasons.
Well, we had two healthy scratches go to prominent roles and neither particularly excelled. No revisionism here, I question that decision right off the bat. Zaitsev getting the second most icetime among D when he struggled all night is just questionable decision making, there's no need to try and rationalize it as managing locker room egos or hypothetical game tape review explaining in and fans just don't have the info,

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well, we had two healthy scratches go to prominent roles and neither particularly excelled. No revisionism here, I question that decision right off the bat. Zaitsev getting the second most icetime among D when he struggled all night is just questionable decision making, there's no need to try and rationalize it as managing locker room egos or hypothetical game tape review explaining in and fans just don't have the info,
He played a ton of penalty kill. At even strength, he played 14:49 which was less than Hamonic (15:39), Chabot (26:38), Sanderson (14:56) and slightly ahead of Brannstrom (13:31). At even strength, he was deployed like a #4/#5 dman. That's not a "prominent role" in any way. Even further countering this narrative, his minutes were reduced in the third period, only playing 3:41 of even strength time. Apart from not dressing him, what exactly is DJ supposed to do with the group of defensemen he has?

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
The year DJ came to town, Chabot's production took a nosedive. His play plateaued, and has slowly deteriorated since 18/19. He rarely shoots, isn't physical, and has little urgency. He's also lost half a step. Troubling, because he can still improve, and he has such a high ceiling.

I understand that DJ's hands were tied with previous rosters. He had to play Chabot a ton. But what didn't inspire me was DJ's all-time take that the more Chabot plays, the better he gets. It was a false statement then, and it sounds even worse in retrospect.

That said, if DJ can deploy Chabot correctly now that he is surrounded by more talent, and motivate him to be more engaged shift by shift, I'll give him more rope.

I honestly think his approach to managing Chabot's performance will dictate his fate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He played a ton of penalty kill. At even strength, he played 14:49 which was less than Hamonic (15:39), Chabot (26:38), Sanderson (14:56) and slightly ahead of Brannstrom (13:31). At even strength, he was deployed like a #4/#5 dman. That's not a "prominent role" in any way. Even further countering this narrative, his minutes were reduced in the third period, only playing 3:41 of even strength time. Apart from not dressing him, what exactly is DJ supposed to do with the group of defensemen he has?
Zaitsev was on the top pair with Chabot almost all night, that's not a prominent role now? He had more time paired with Chabot 5v5 than the rest of the D combined, he just wasn't with him 4v4. But sure, deployed like a 4/5, give me a break, if anyone is trying to spin a narrative here it's quite clearly you.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
These are easy decisions to make for us, without any knowledge of managing a locker room, without the insights into player mentality, without the benefit of many hours to analyze post-game results, etc
To add to this, this is a common problem when dealing with young players.

Brannstrom has been absolutely flying so far this season, likely in part because he's got a ton of confidence. If Brannstrom is having a bad game, or is struggling against a big team (like in that game against Dallas), do you bench him breaking his confidence? Or do you keep throwing him out there only to get thrown around, also breaking his confidence? The answer is a judgement call based on the coaches' relationship with that player, and what he knows about that player's mentality. This is not a video game. You don't just throw players on the ice to farm XP in order to get better.

I am scared shitless of tomorrow’s game and how this thread will look if we lose.
TBH, I think we'll have a good game. No guarantee we win, but if we lose, It'll be a close one. The Florida game was the exception, not the norm so far this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad