Silver Seven How safe is DJ Smith

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

After last night’s defeat, the Ottawa Senators have fallen to last in the Atlantic division. Truth be told, I don’t know what to think of the Ottawa Senators so far. It seems they can win every game but there have also been long stretches of uninspired play. At a record of 4-4-0, it seems they can be very good and terribly bad within the span of a few periods of play. That 4-4 is probably fair to them on the merits

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Claude Julien's been sighted at the CTC lately, with that said I believe he's from the Ottawa area so it may not mean anything

He would be my first choice of realistic options, would certainly help with the defensive structure

• Haha
Reactions: guyzeur

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think if any of us were told before the season that after 8 games the Sens would be 4-4-0 with a +3 goal differential - we’d all be happy, considering the strength of schedule and the changes over the off-season.

Now if you were informed we were last in the Atlantic and 2nd last in the east - I think you would have thought that’s a joke.

The east is a BEAST this season. There are going to be good teams beating the crap out of each other nightly.

D.J. has the boys playing fun, fast paced hockey. The structure will come with the chemistry. And less Zaitsev.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
We have to stop name Julien. I heard and read that he work for St-Louis Blues now

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I've often wondered about our assistant coaches. I'd be good with Julien being brought in to support DJ
I dont think Julien isn't going to be DJ'S assistant at this point. If he is brought in its because DJ is gone. Julien lives in Westboro. I don't think he Plans on coaching again any time soon.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This team is not built around a defense,so we need an offensive coach that can work with our strength up front

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The players are happy but the fans are not. Fans haven’t been happy for years.

DJ to me is on a show me basis. By game 10 if he can’t coach a system that doesn’t get dominated by the Panthers he can keep his job - but his teams get dominated and play ugly hockey way to much.

Country club atmosphere a bit. Brady going between the legs and the team focused on Debrincat getting his goals up hurts the team and shows how little discipline the coach has for winning and exchanges winning for keeping his players happy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
OMG the Senators are 3 points behind the second place team in their Division, and have a game in hand !!!!! C'mon, lets get out the pitchforks and get rid of the Coach!!!!

relax....................

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean I've always liked Julien but you do have to wonder what kind of effect it would have on the team to now suddenly start over with a new coach. While I do think it's an overreaction to be calling for the coach's head at this point based solely on our record, I wouldn't hate having someone with a rep, even if it was just to shut up the haters lol

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I've never seen anything as competitive as this year's nhl. And why would it slow up? Unless you were actively trying to shit yourself for bedard there were solid options available all summer.

He's safe for now. The team needs to lean on their forwards and they need to step up. It totally falls on them. You wanna be paid 8 million, you need to outscore people.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
OMG the Senators are 3 points behind the second place team in their Division, and have a game in hand !!!!! C'mon, lets get out the pitchforks and get rid of the Coach!!!!

relax....................
You don’t get it. They have played or started a few of games without being ready. This is problematic and it is also something that DI and PD acknowledged in the offseason.

This is an issue of the coach not having the ability to get this team to the next level.

We NEED next level now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The players are happy but the fans are not. Fans haven’t been happy for years.

DJ to me is on a show me basis. By game 10 if he can’t coach a system that doesn’t get dominated by the Panthers he can keep his job - but his teams get dominated and play ugly hockey way to much.

Country club atmosphere a bit. Brady going between the legs and the team focused on Debrincat getting his goals up hurts the team and shows how little discipline the coach has for winning and exchanges winning for keeping his players happy
Well he bagged them, hope he keeps bagging them until they are willing to play with more urgency and discipline. Getting the puck in deep has been this teams bread and butter this year, when they dont do that they are no good. That's why the 4th line has been the most consistent they are doing their job and playing to their strength.

You don’t get it. They have played or started a few of games without being ready. This is problematic and it is also something that DI and PD acknowledged in the offseason.

This is an issue of the coach not having the ability to get this team to the next level.

We NEED next level now.
I am curious as to what you think a coach can do to get his team to start better. If they are just simply no good all game long then I think thats alot on the coach. However when they play well when they are playing the right way that to me means that they have been coached and prepared for the actual game. Ultimately the players have to be ready to go and play with urgency. What I have seen the last two games was a team that wasnt doing the things that have made them successful. Playing with pace and urgency, hard on pucks at both blue lines. Those are not coaching strategies thats a players willingness to compete.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I've never liked DJ as a coach, and would be OK replacing him with any "big name" coach.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Considering how competitive our division is this year, I wouldn't fire DJ since we're in last place with a point or two out of 2nd in the division.

I would fire him over continued shitty player deployment. The man doesn't realize you don't have to play Chabot + minutes every night and that guys like Brannstrom and Sanderson can play more.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think if any of us were told before the season that after 8 games the Sens would be 4-4-0 with a +3 goal differential - we’d all be happy, considering the strength of schedule and the changes over the off-season.

Now if you were informed we were last in the Atlantic and 2nd last in the east - I think you would have thought that’s a joke.

The east is a BEAST this season. There are going to be good teams beating the crap out of each other nightly.

D.J. has the boys playing fun, fast paced hockey. The structure will come with the chemistry. And less Zaitsev.

How about if weren't relying on generic things we were told by others and just watched the games, seeing with our own eyes that after three years, DJ still hasn't instilled a proper defensive system and seems to not know how to properly prepare his team to start games?

Oh, and structure comes from good coaching.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well he bagged them, hope he keeps bagging them until they are willing to play with more urgency and discipline. Getting the puck in deep has been this teams bread and butter this year, when they dont do that they are no good. That's why the 4th line has been the most consistent they are doing their job and playing to their strength.

I am curious as to what you think a coach can do to get his team to start better. If they are just simply no good all game long then I think thats alot on the coach. However when they play well when they are playing the right way that to me means that they have been coached and prepared for the actual game. Ultimately the players have to be ready to go and play with urgency. What I have seen the last two games was a team that wasnt doing the things that have made them successful. Playing with pace and urgency, hard on pucks at both blue lines. Those are not coaching strategies thats a players willingness to compete.

DJ Smith should go bagged skated himself for his teams play. They were disgusting and god awful - embarrassing for him that hi payers take to the ice that unprepared and he should skate hard because apparently it makes a difference

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
DJ Smith should go bagged skated himself for his teams play. They were disgusting and god awful - embarrassing for him that hi payers take to the ice that unprepared and he should skate hard because apparently it makes a difference
This is absurd. They werent competing. They were losing one on one battles. They turned pucks over at blue lines. The coach cant play for the players.

Seems like so many posters are just looking for a scape goat without knowing what they are looking at.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is absurd. They werent competing. They were losing one on one battles. They turned pucks over at blue lines. The coach cant play for the players.

Seems like so many posters are just looking for a scape goat without knowing what they are looking at.
My issue with DJ is his deployment in games where things aren't going well. Why are we waiting to mix up the lines, Zaitsev belongs nowhere near the top pair but was second to Chabot in D toi, Pinto and Kastelic were playing well but we didn't elevate either while Brassard struggled. Sanderson played great but had 10 mins less than Chabot.

Reactions: Alex1234 and bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Obviously the coach can't play for the players, but it IS his job to have them focused and motivated to compete.

Bag skating them is what he's doing to towards that end. We'll see if it works.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
4 years in and we're still waiting for his system to do some good. Yikes. Move on. We already know what we have and its not good.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
DJ being well liked by the players has worked out well for us. Enabled the rebuild and a culture shift.

DJ being unable to implement defensive structure, on the other hand, is problematic. Prevents the team from reaching the next level of performance.

It's nearing time for a coach to come in with pedigree. Lock in a defensive system that can carry this roster through playoff opponents. DJ, for all that he brings, is not that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad