Silver Seven How safe is DJ Smith

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ian Mendes has an article that shows the impact of Zaitsev's play on any partner he has. He brings down his partner by 20% CF at least. It's shocking. I'm not sure how he's making $4.5M. It is absolutely mind boggling.

Reactions: Yak

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ian Mendes has an article that shows the impact of Zaitsev's play on any partner he has. He brings down his partner by 20% CF at least. It's shocking. I'm not sure how he's making $4.5M. It is absolutely mind boggling.
We might want a mulligan on that deal now. Brown gone for not much and we're stuck with Zaitsev.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The article misses context and without the context the data is useless.

Zaitsev paired with Chabot playing against Crosby = negative CF
Chabot paired with someone else and not playing against Crosby = positive CF
Zaitsev paired with Holden playing against Matthews = negative CF
Holden paired with someone else not playing against Matthews= position CF.

Then I write an article that Zaitsev drags down his partner's Corsi.

I've seen these types of articles. I've seen the twitter posts. Zaitsev generally takes the harder minutes. Last year was the first time in his tenure here where that wasn't unequivocally true, he started splitting harder minutes with Zub.

I don't have the data. But I do watch the games and understand hockey very well.

Without the type of data I posted above, the article doesn't really mean much. It's clickbait. Mendes should know better.

Go look at natural stat trick data from the Florida game. 5 on 5. Zaitsev was on the ice for one high danger shot against. 8 scoring chances against. 4 of 6 D had higher xGA. 1 O zone start, 4 D zone starts. Tell me who's stats are better? Let alone who had the harder assignments

It's a clickbait crap article. It's one stat. It lacks context. And I dare say the author is aware of the lacking context.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

I've seen these types of articles. I've seen the twitter posts. Zaitsev generally takes the harder minutes. Last year was the first time in his tenure here where that wasn't unequivocally true, he started splitting harder minutes with Zub.

I don't have the data. But I do watch the games and understand hockey very well.

Without the type of data I posted above, the article doesn't really mean much. It's clickbait. Mendes should know better.

Go look at natural stat trick data from the Florida game. 5 on 5. Zaitsev was on the ice for one high danger shot against. 8 scoring chances against. 4 of 6 D had higher xGA. 1 O zone start, 4 D zone starts. Tell me who's stats are better? Let alone who had the harder assignments

It's a clickbait crap article. It's one stat. It lacks context. And I dare say the author is aware of the lacking context.

so everyone else is just wrong because you understand the game better? Zaitsev isnt an NHL level defensemen. Full stop.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
so everyone else is just wrong because you understand the game better? Zaitsev isnt an NHL level defensemen. Full stop.
Zaitsev isn't capable of playing top pair defensive assignments anymore, he is an NHL defencemen, but he draws in and plays harder minutes.

Btw, I said I understood hockey but that came after saying I don't have the data. The information as presented, the inference from it, is not valid. I know that to be statistically true because I understand hockey and know what data is missing

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
not at .500 9 games into the season. There are injuries for sure but every team deals with those.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

No, the article was pretty clear. Zaitsev brought down the CF of every single player he played with. And not just by a little bit.
He’s not good at hockey. The eyeball test and advanced stats both are screaming the same thing.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I have a feeling we’ll hire Keefe IF he gets fired. I don’t think current ownership is going to shell out the money for a Trotz/Julien/AV.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Zaitsev isn't capable of playing top pair defensive assignments anymore, he is an NHL defencemen, but he draws in and plays harder minutes.

Btw, I said I understood hockey but that came after saying I don't have the data. The information as presented, the inference from it, is not valid. I know that to be statistically true because I understand hockey and know what data is missing
He really isnt an NHL D man.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zaitsev is a spot duty defender,he isnt an everyday player any longer....But because lack of foresight during the rebuild we forgot to make defenders a priority...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad