How rose coloured are your specs?

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1=not at all, 5=average, 10=very much) how rose tinted are your specs?

• Total voters

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
Bias – Of course we feel it! We are fans! It’s not just a hockey thing either. It’s the same for most sports fans!
I know I have been guilty in the past. I have seen something at a game, been convinced of what I saw, only to then see it back on TV and realise it didn’t happen as I remembered!

Post game comments can be interesting at times, often suggesting that referees are biased, usually against the team that lost, but sometimes, BOTH sets of fans think the ref was biased against them! This can be especially funny in the UK, where fans tend to be less aware of the rules

It makes me laugh sometimes, when sports fans (One of my soccer fan colleagues is a regular with this) suggest the referee missed several blatant infractions, but all of them by the opposition, while he made several weak calls, but never on the opposition

So, here’s a chance to self-assess yourself. I think most people would accept that they see things one way, but how much? Do you think you see things pretty neutrally? Do you accept, once you have calmed down, that maybe your rose coloured specs are actually a bright scarlet?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well if you ask HFavs I'm a hater...but I voted a 6 myself. I try to be as objective as I can and have players I like all across the league...but I wouldn't be on here if I wasn't a hardcore fan of the team and even though I'll criticize them for their flaws, I still have my favorites.

One thing I can pat myself on the back for is acknowledging that the refs suck for both sides; only ever having complained about the zebras once...in a match two years ago where they let the canucks get away with so much hooking & interference that Nate's temper got the better of him; as he ended up hurting himself when he went after Edler. But even then my complaint was that they had lost control of the game, not that they were screwing my team.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
im going with 7. sometimes i get pissed at a non call against the opponent in real time but then on the replay i see it wasnt actually a penalty.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think a lot of us are a lot more negative and reactionary than we really need to be once we cross a certain threshold of fandom. I probably get on players and coaches and the team more than is strictly warranted. So I gave myself a 3. Our guys probably don't deserve the vitriol I sometimes send their way.
:dunno:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
3. Occasionally get annoyed but rationally know that bad calls happen randomly. I get a kick out of some of the posters who are completely convinced that the league is biased against their team/for opponent. Like not even a shadow of a doubt. To which I always think, how profoundly masochistic do you have to be to continue to support a sport you are convinced is stacked against you? Defies logic.

Reactions: buzzbee

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
I should point out that I am not talking about fans passionately supporting their team and hating others. I mean more that you see things differently to how they happen, just because of your allegiances. So, if two guys square up, no matter what has happened, you will believe the other is the aggressor and your guy is just reacting or standing up for a team mate.
in a match two years ago where they let the canucks get away with so much hooking & interference that Nate's temper got the better of him; as he ended up hurting himself when he went after Edler. But even then my complaint was that they had lost control of the game, not that they were screwing my team.
I guess this is the sort of thing I mean. You acknowledge that the officials were not biased, but in your eyes, it was the Canucks who were being allowed to get away with so much hooking and interfering and Nate was just reacting to it. The more rose the specs, the less we realise that our own players may also have been getting away with the same amount of stuff
I am on the negative scale. Referees and league officials favor my team.
This reminds me of a game here in the UK about 20 years ago. My team (Bracknell Bees) were playing away to the Ayr Scottish Eagles. There were only 2 Bees fans there that night. In the first period, all of the calls seemed to go our way. At the end of the first period, the Eagles coach, Paul Heavy chased referee Paul Stanniforth down the tunnel. During the break, his assistant confronted the referee and was ejected from the building. My friend Mark and I took a wonder around the concourse and were repeatedly stopped by Scots, shouting, “That referee is biased in your favour”, to which we both just smiled, shrugged our shoulders and sad, “Yep!” :nod: :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I should point out that I am not talking about fans passionately supporting their team and hating others. I mean more that you see things differently to how they happen, just because of your allegiances. So, if two guys square up, no matter what has happened, you will believe the other is the aggressor and your guy is just reacting or standing up for a team mate.
I guess this is the sort of thing I mean. You acknowledge that the officials were not biased, but in your eyes, it was the Canucks who were being allowed to get away with so much hooking and interfering and Nate was just reacting to it. The more rose the specs, the less we realise that our own players may also have been getting away with the same amount of stuff
This reminds me of a game here in the UK about 20 years ago. My team (Bracknell Bees) were playing away to the Ayr Scottish Eagles. There were only 2 Bees fans there that night. In the first period, all of the calls seemed to go our way. At the end of the first period, the Eagles coach, Paul Heavy chased referee Paul Stanniforth down the tunnel. During the break, his assistant confronted the referee and was ejected from the building. My friend Mark and I took a wonder around the concourse and were repeatedly stopped by Scots, shouting, “That referee is biased in your favour”, to which we both just smiled, shrugged our shoulders and sad, “Yep!” :nod: :laugh:

You're reading things into my post that weren't there. I never said we didn't get away with anything as well, nor that it wasn't 100% Nate's fault for hurting himself. But either way, my point was that's the only time I've ever complained about the refs in any capacity.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'd say I feel that if your team plays well, you will overcome the mistakes the ref makes. I know I get upset with some calls/non calls, but in comparison I'd say I'm about a 4 I guess, to the extremes and frequency of some other posts and posters.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Toward my team? Pretty low I feel. Towards prospects I like, somewhere slightly above 8

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
2. I try to be fair but I do notice more missed calls for the Sabres than the other team. I'm sure it goes the other way sometimes and I just don't even register it.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Not one bit!
supporter-eyeglasses-finland-flag.jpg

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think of myself as pretty neutral tbh. I appreciate all the hockey league-wide. The only time bias comes out (a touch) for me is at HFLeafs in our team threads.

For the most part, on mainboard threads/proposals, I try my very best to be on my best behaviour and create an honest post, free of bias and hopefully enjoyable for some of y'all.

Gonna go with 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad