OT: How old is everyone?

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
19 here.
Would've thought less in the Under 20 considering how terrible the Isles have been in our existence. Only thing I think when I see an Islander fan under 20 is, "Yeah...it must've been fun to actually be alive when your team won a playoff series"

sonnyisles

Apr 6, 2006
It's good to hear from you Sonny. Hope all is well with you.

Are you the same Sonny who used to call Steve Sommers on WFAN many years ago?

Hey Bert, things here are ok. Hope you're good. That was a different Sonny. If I remember correctly, he was pretty entertaining.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hard to believe you did not skate or play at an early age, especially being from Edmonton. I played all sports but hockey was by far my favorite and the most fun.

Yes, it is somewhat odd for a Canadian kid. I grew up on Vancouver Island where, due to the warm winter climate, many people can't skate. When I came to Alberta in 1977, I thought I would learn to skate, but was initially too self-conscios. Finally, I got mad ant myself and learned, taking some nasty falls in the meantime. I'm still trying to improve. Better late than never.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Yes, it is somewhat odd for a Canadian kid. I grew up on Vancouver Island where, due to the warm winter climate, many people can't skate. When I came to Alberta in 1977, I thought I would learn to skate, but was initially too self-conscios. Finally, I got mad ant myself and learned, taking some nasty falls in the meantime. I'm still trying to improve. Better late than never.

My mom was originally from Quebec City so she laced me up in skates and put a stick in my hands at an early age, Been addicted to hockey ever since, I enjoyed playing in both high school and college and still play quite often.

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
31. Became an isles fan in 93 to spite my older brother and the habs in the conference finals. That went well...

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My mom was originally from Quebec City so she laced me up in skates and put a stick in my hands at an early age, Been addicted to hockey ever since, I enjoyed playing in both high school and college and still play quite often.

I see I should proof-read my messages before sending. The problem on Vancouver Island fifty years ago was also a lack of indoor ice. Now there are lots of rinks and some good players (e.g., Jamie Benn). We played all sports (except hockey) as kids. One of my friends became a sports broadcaster. Unfortunately, there was no organized Canadian football for youth at the time. The only organized sports I played were (mainly) baseball and some soccer. I played on the university golf team, but there were no scholarships and it was not as organized nor competitive as it is today.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
52...one of the old sob's.

became a fan going to the very first Islander NHL game in 1972 at an 11 year old with my dad. 3-2 loss to the Flames. Program framed and in my office.

Now get off of my lawn!!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad