OT: How old is everyone?

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
40 here. Was too young to remember the dynasties but growing up on the Island had too root for the home team.

Anyone remember people driving around after the Isles won their cups blowing their horns. Honk...Honk... Honk,Honk,Honk. I do, and I was quite the youngster at the time. Been hooked ever since.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
50. I remember going to promotional appearances at Ridgewood Savings Bank to get Bobby Nystrom's and Chico Resch's autographs

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Give the decision on kids some time. I did not have my son (well, my wife actually had him! :) ) until I was 38! I am so happy I did. I love my wife, but there is no one other than him that I'd rather spend time with! He and I watch the Islanders games religiously. He knows so much and it is a joy passing on my passion to my boy! If you don't have kids, that is cool, too. Having kids is not the end all, be-all event, but I've very much enjoyed the experience so I would not completely write it off.

I can go either way on the idea of having kids. While that may not sound so convincing, I can assure you that it's a drastic change to the way I used to feel in my 20's. My wife is the one who asserts her lack of desire to have children. Then again, she's only 30 so I'm waiting for her biological clock to go off Marissa Tomei-style before I give up the ghost.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I can go either way on the idea of having kids. While that may not sound so convincing, I can assure you that it's a drastic change to the way I used to feel in my 20's. My wife is the one who asserts her lack of desire to have children. Then again, she's only 30 so I'm waiting for her biological clock to go off Marissa Tomei-style before I give up the ghost.

Heh. When I met my wife she felt the same way as yours, while I've always been the dude who waves and makes funny faces back to kids on the subway. It freaked her out, because she didn't find kids cute. Then when we were planning our wedding, "it" hit. We got married and she was pregnant 3 months later. (Little did we know that her 180 degree rapid turn foreshadowed how she labors and delivers.)

Let me know if you want my wife to work on her. ;)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

There is no greater joy in life than what having kids will give you. None. Nothing else even comes close.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Precious years, my friend, precious years. Get your fun, excitement, extra money, spontaneous trips, and social life in now.

Once you make the plunge, you can't go back. And don't let the "ohh.. you GOTTA have two kids" ********* get to you.

My friend has three kids (dumb@ss) -- 14, 12, and 10- -he spends his entire afternoon and weekends shuttling those kids from one activity/friends house to another. EFF THAT.

ONE AND DONE. The first year is ROUGH.. slowly gets easier.. Make no mistake -- its alot of fun -- but your life changes alot,, and alot of areas, NOT for the better.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
There is no greater joy in life than what having kids will give you. None. Nothing else even comes close.

I completely agree, provided that (i) you know what you want, (ii) you're fortunate with your spouse (or you don't need/want one), (iii) you're fortunate with your kids, and (iv) you're fortunate with your finances OR you're good at making the best of things.

I know parents with kids who have health issues or impairments, and that's tough. I've also heard of parents (but don't know any directly) with kids that are behaviorally impossible (I mean pathologically so, not just temper tantrums). That would be really hard.

OTOH, if you're lucky, you come home to a 4 y/o wearing two tutus layered on the bottom, two pairs of fairy wings, who is pretending to be a friendly dancing dragon and a 2-y/o who chases me around with arms out saying, "More brains, more brains, num num num num." It's pretty sweet.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I completely agree, provided that (i) you know what you want, (ii) you're fortunate with your spouse (or you don't need/want one), (iii) you're fortunate with your kids, and (iv) you're fortunate with your finances OR you're good at making the best of things.

I know parents with kids who have health issues or impairments, and that's tough. I've also heard of parents (but don't know any directly) with kids that are behaviorally impossible (I mean pathologically so, not just temper tantrums). That would be really hard.

OTOH, if you're lucky, you come home to a 4 y/o wearing two tutus layered on the bottom, two pairs of fairy wings, who is pretending to be a friendly dancing dragon and a 2-y/o who chases me around with arms out saying, "More brains, more brains, num num num num." It's pretty sweet.

Yeah, all good points. If you're lucky enough to have a healthy child and make ends meet financially, life don't get much better.

My 3 yo son the other day asked me to "play some rock n roll." I put on Led Zep's Black Dog and he boogied like Robert Plant all around the living room. It was hysterical.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Yeah, all good points. If you're lucky enough to have a healthy child and make ends meet financially, life don't get much better.

My 3 yo son the other day asked me to "play some rock n roll." I put on Led Zep's Black Dog and he boogied like Robert Plant all around the living room. It was hysterical.

Nothing like Led Zep. Secretly always wanted to play drums like John Bonham.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I was at the reunion show in London a few years ago when Jason Bonham played with them.

Did you see the Atlantic Music 40th Anniversary Special back in the mid 80's?

Jason played with them too -- he was a pudgy little kid! They did Kashmir, Misty, Heatbreaker, and Stairway...

Plant looks a little rough around the edges!

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Did you see the Atlantic Music 40th Anniversary Special back in the mid 80's?

Jason played with them too -- he was a pudgy little kid! They did Kashmir, Misty, Heatbreaker, and Stairway...

Plant looks a little rough around the edges!

Yeah, that wasn't one of their better performances.

Plant (now) looks like a distinguished gentleman. I love his last few solo efforts (his collaboration with Allison Krauss was beautiful). His voice still sounds fabulous and I give him a lot of respect for turning down a Zep tour. It would have been a nostalgia act cash grab and he wanted no part in that. The man is still creating thoughtful, inspired music. Good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad